2021-03-13 EVENT: TX/OK/KS

B1104C6C-8F44-4091-93BF-BC4D84E0B7C6.jpeg
If the Radar Scope spotter tracking is correct, a lot of chasers are taking big risks today. I understand there is a delay in location data(?), but wow.
I noticed that too. It looked like some potential trouble due due a lack of roads, a lot of chasers and a rain wrapped wedge cooking along at roughly 45 mph. I’ll reserve judgement now for the same reason as Warren. I’m not too sure on the accuracy of the “dots”

I seen unconfirmed reports of chasers "hit by a tornado," but it sounded like no one was injured or it was no big deal. I have seen images of multiple chasers getting stuck in mud near Happy.

I'm still trying to figure out the mentality of all this. Maybe I never will. The logic of thinking you can outsmart severe weather, including tornadoes is beyond me. To lose an eye, an arm or end up being disabled for five minutes of pseudo-fame is insane. To a lessor degree, losing your property for a stunt. Storm chasing offers no grandiose or noble deed of accomplishment like the risks of conquering Mt. Everest or making your first solo flight. I can only assume people think they are invincible from watching other idiots get away with it.

I'm still trying to figure out the mentality of all this. Maybe I never will. The logic of thinking you can outsmart severe weather, including tornadoes is beyond me. To lose an eye, an arm or end up being disabled for five minutes of pseudo-fame is insane. To a lessor degree, losing your property for a stunt. Storm chasing offers no grandiose or noble deed of accomplishment like the risks of conquering Mt. Everest or making your first solo flight. I can only assume people think they are invincible from watching other idiots get away with it.

This comment on his Twitter page (@RclaytonWX , see the screenshot) seems like bragging, like getting hit by this thing is a badge of honor. Shouldn’t he be posting statements like “I put myself in a high risk situation (by being so close to the tornado) and I lost my situational awareness. I’ll learn from my experience and hope other chasers learn as well.”

Disclaimers:

I’m not very experienced myself (only chased 9 times, so who am I to judge?)

This is as of 1:45 CT on 3/14 so maybe later he’ll put something like the statement above14AFFA31-4E70-46DB-8F3A-16F4A2D20438.jpeg

I'm not sure that is an RFD? It looks like there is a break in the video sequence and then the circulation is very close in the next frame, with the debris feeding into the tornado?

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that there are a number of chasers who are simply DGAF with their lives around tornadoes. Several seem to be perfectly happy driving into or sitting in front of even a strong tornado and getting killed by it.

I do not follow this logic, but if people want to die for "the shot," or the thrill of it ... well ... at least it will open up more space for me on later chases!

Also, I hope those people don't expect any kind of sad response from me upon news of their death. I will not memorialize it in any way other than something like this:

In today's chase environment, people are not going to stop getting too close. We are due for more deaths. The thing that continues to bug me are the men and women emergency response personnel (mostly volunteers) who will respond to assist the nincompoops -- not differentiating between clowns and legitimate victims. Volunteer first responders and LEO's are generally not weather experts, and they will respond through some very risky weather to assist. I've seen them drive through some really scary radar signatures, or assist at scenes where secondary cells pose a serious threat.

I've noticed this change in many chasers mentalities who I've met over the years, and it started happening mainly after TWC and Discovery, (what 10-15yrs ago?), had used their programming to idealize chasing. Presented with the premise of safety, advanced warning, saving people, and understanding the science, it turned into this huge mess of click bait and amping people up for viewership. I've heard some people blame Reed Timmer in part for this. As I understand it, Reed is well degreed and experienced but just watching his videos you can see that sometimes it just appears to be scripted over excitement? I don't honestly know, and as I do not really know him or if there is any truth to that, or him for that matter, so I won't name call, that's not who I am. However, there does seem to be a point where the cable hype probably started creating monsters. The unfortunate part is, there is really good science and reporting happening out there, and there are a lot of it from well trained and experienced chasers who fundamentally are trying to help along the science or document, or just simply enjoy the show from a far, the issue is, it's intermixed with You tube hustlers out for some quick money or thrill and you cant legislate stupidity.

The truth is, there is an awe inspiring art and power that is attractive to chasing , but its only one functional element to the entire meteorological research, operational and private community that have done a lot of really hard work over 40yrs to advance causes and understanding in order to help the community at large. Suddenly, in what feels like overnight, TV shows, Phone Apps, and chasing websites delivering nowcasts, readily available radar imagery where someone can say.. "just look for the hook, or look for the strong change in colors". You don't HAVE to have any training at all really. an untrained person can go look at SPC Day1, drive under the red or orange, turn on radarscope, "Bam" I'm a chaser now!, simple right? lol - no intelligence required .. and the people who do that will "feel" they are just as knowledgeable as anyone with a degree or lots of real world experience. in lies the real danger and its not leveling a healthy respect to it.

So, to me, there is a disassociation to it and as was mentioned earlier, and I agree, I think there is a segment of folks out there that just don't care. There does seem to be a Badge of honor piece to it, or bravado. Does making a video of me getting smashed along with OU hat secure me a well paying job? boosts my Monetized YouTube channel? probably so. I know one thing for me is assured. Any day that I am out there and it turns out to be a one or two discrete cell Chase with the Hoard in tow? I am backing off and taking structure shots or using a longer lense. It's not worth the price of admission. I'll wait til the geographic coverage is large, and I have more to choose from. I already did that a few times in 2019. but I did get stuck in Mangum, and to no surprise, the hoard converged and there was an accident there.

Last edited:
Just sharing a couple of velocity screenshots from Amarillo's radar for future reference of the event. The first one I believe is when the wedge was happening near Happy, TX. The second shows two tight couplets (and I believe I saw video that verified there were 2 tornadoes ongoing at this point). One couplet I believe is the wedge occluding and the other is a new tornado.

Attachments

• IMG_5368[1].PNG
    IMG_5368[1].PNG
    372.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5369[1].PNG
    IMG_5369[1].PNG
    808 KB · Views: 0
I was messing with some of the 3D functions in GR and really liked seeing the vertical extent to the couplet.. This was the storm IVO Happy.

Attachments

• SE Amarillo TX 4 panel.jpg
    SE Amarillo TX 4 panel.jpg
    861 KB · Views: 0
  • 3D happy TX SprCell.jpg
    3D happy TX SprCell.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 0
Back