2011-05-22 Joplin, MO tornado thread

Well I just moved from Miami, Ok and would travel to Joplin daily. My friends said that people had shopping carts full of stuff stealing from walmart... and Acadamy sports is busted open... there are guns and cool stuff in there. I guess people might want hunting equipment and canoes and stuff.

i have many friends from college that live in the area. many reports coming in of those friends who lost their homes. my college roomate nick's fiance was working at the hospital as the tornado hit. storm then went through nicks hometown of sarcoxie where his parents are and they are reporting power outages.

bildee.jpg

Friend of mine has family in Joplin. Her entire family was affected. Like 7 different families lost everything. Not one person is uninjured and a nephew is missing.

I 100% agree. ST is effectively dead now. What's the point of having a storm chasing and severe weather forum if we can't discuss events as they happen??? What am I missing?

Seriously dude? Really? This is not about StormTrack or how it is ran. A city just 25 miles away from me, a city in which I have a lot of friends living in was destroyed by a tornado. I have a lot of friends living in the area hit by the tornado, I have no idea if they are alive; I have not been able to get ahold of them. The last thing I care about is this turning into a debate about how StormTrack is ran. Take this elsewhere and let's keep this on topic.

It is complete devastation in Joplin, if anyone on here is a first responder and can go to assist... please do so, they need all the help they need.

Apologize for interrupting here, but I think this event demonstrates why closing off any NOW thread, any Discussion thread, and keeping in force the 48 hour rule against discussing any recent events effectively chokes off any and all discussion of contemporaneous important, possibly historical events, is short-sighted and possibly short-circuits an important historical record. I realize just repeating widely-reported news is redundant and doesn't add much value to the site, but many times a member may have a local news tidbit or may capture a great screen-save of a radar picture that could prove widely informative.

And, BTW, the only reason I post this in this thread is I see there isn't even a section that allows dicussion about ST policy anymore.

I have to agree with this. The Target Area has virtually become a dead zone. I didn't think it was that bad in there before the new rules went into effect. I don't know what happened, but as it stands now, there is zero discussion about the Joplin tornado and/or other areas affected by severe weather/tornadoes and zero forecasts about the next two potentially potent upcoming days in the Target Area. Instead, we have forecast threads and event discussions going on here. If people complained to Tim and if this is what they wanted (a dead Target Area), then they got it.

Sorry for the hijack..

It's becoming alarming how many tornado-related fatalities we've seen so far this year. I think the yearly average is around 40-50? 24 fatalities already reported in less than 5 hours from the event is not a good sign. I didn't think we'd be seeing these types of numbers with the advanced warning and coverage that we get now.

Of course, having a monstrous HP, rain-wrapped wedge go through a populated area doesn't help either.

I have to agree with this. The Target Area has virtually become a dead zone. I didn't think it was that bad in there before the new rules went into effect. I don't know what happened, but as it stands now, there is zero discussion about the Joplin tornado and/or other areas affected by severe weather/tornadoes and zero forecasts about the next two potentially potent upcoming days in the Target Area. Instead, we have forecast threads and event discussions going on here. If people complained to Tim and if this is what they wanted (a dead Target Area), then they got it.

Sorry for the hijack..

It's becoming alarming how many tornado-related fatalities we've seen so far this year. I think the yearly average is around 40-50? 24 fatalities already reported in less than 5 hours from the event is not a good sign. I didn't think we'd be seeing these types of numbers with the advanced warning and coverage that we get now.

Of course, having a monstrous HP, rain-wrapped wedge go through a populated area doesn't help either.

I do think that this year has just been bad luck, with tornadoes hitting extremely populated areas. In fact May is still probably going to be below normal when the month comes to an end with total tornadoes. April was anamolously high with the amount of tornadoes and with the deaths but its been astonishing how many metro areas have been hit. Joplin, Raleigh, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Minneapolis today. Even some of the weaker tornadoes would cause a few deaths.

I think that this years deaths can be atributed to an anomalous jet stream in April with poor luck as well.

yeah this is the hospital where my friend's fiance works. she was there as the tornado hit. reports of fatalities of patients as well as a major gas leak in the area.

my prayers are with all of those involved. i am getting a care package together to send with blankets and hygene products and stuffed animals (for the kiddos) i am sending it to a friend who has people that lost everything. i may try to get off work to get out and help. i know my company has jobsites in Joplin i may get on the ERT team to head out if aclled up.

Anyone have an idea how far West the damage path went? I have some relatives that live right near exit 4 and 44 - haven't been able to reach them.

Doesn't look like it went that far West, but thought I would ask.

I saw the tornado as it began it's intensification through town. I tried to help out for a while but I think they really need medical people. A lot of people walking around in shock, I think the national guard has been activated, so that should help in searching through the extreme damage.

Anyone have an idea how far West the damage path went? I have some relatives that live right near exit 4 and 44 - haven't been able to reach them.

Doesn't look like it went that far West, but thought I would ask.

not sure if you mean east or west... but west I heard it touched down near the stateline east of Riverton

yeah this is the hospital where my friend's fiance works. she was there as the tornado hit. reports of fatalities of patients as well as a major gas leak in the area.

THe hospital spokesperson just said no fatalities on scene and there is no gas leak anywhere near them, so any clarification you can get would be appreciated.

since there has been no video of this tornado.. is it safe to assume that none of the big time chases got video of this one?

Usually one would have sold it to a news agency by now. Knowing that area really well I doubt a chaser could have hung with it.

My goodness. The photos of that hospital don't look real to me. They look like they belong on a Hollywood movie set. April was bad enough, but it's even worse to see this happen in May.

There were plenty of big name chasers out there. There will be tons of video coming in tomorrow...I've heard reports that Roger Hill was on the storm as it went through Joplin so we will no doubt see something from him.

By about 2 minute mark all hell breaks loose, at least for the audio--very limited visual (guess everyone was safe in this case at least)l:

http://shortformblog.tumblr.com/post/5759039157/joplin-tornado-first-person-video

youtube source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnvxJZucds&feature=channel_video_title

very disturbing hearing people afraid that they are about to die. Then again, some comic bits as people discuss positioning of who is laying where. Also, a lot of reassuring people there helping the younger kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to say, I have a deep appreciation and respect for all of the storm chasers who assisted in Joplin today. I know there were a ton of storm chasers who called off the chase to help out in Joplin, and that is an amazing thing. Joplin is in my backyard, I go to Joplin often and I have friends who live there and were impacted by the tornado. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around what has happened there, and to all of the chasers who stopped and helped out... THANK YOU!.

THe hospital spokesperson just said no fatalities on scene and there is no gas leak anywhere near them, so any clarification you can get would be appreciated.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/05/22/nr.mo.tornado.hospital.damage.cnn about 45 seconds in the reporter stated she talked to a nurse who told her 4 patients were lost.

was watching twc and they were reporting that there was a gas plant near the hospital that was hit. but also that could have been alot of the wind blown gas fumes from elsewhere in the city.

as i was listening to the online radio scanner the fd was reporting gas lines being set off all over the area due to them driving up the streets.

i will keep in contact with those on the ground that i have contact with. i have another friend that just sent me a message and her parents lost their home.

Just saw a time the tornado was hitting Joplin realized that the storm I saw to the E was in fact the Joplin storm when it hit cause I had to run to walgreens to develop yesterdays photos. Was clearly visible, huge, very tight up and down cylinder not broad and fat like most thunderheads. Very large back sheered anvil(larger than average). Just different looking than your typical storm. You could tell it was a special storm. It grabbed my attention so well that I actually had to pull over and look at it safely for a moment. When I did i kind of made fun of myself for stopping for just another storm like I havent done that before but I knew this one was different.

Back