2011-04-27 MISC: AL,TN,MS,KY,OH,IN,WV,GA

I know from what I have seen from pictures (I haven't been to that part of damaged area myself) but in Ringgold there are some homes that were wiped clean from their foundation in the Cherokee Valley Road area, and the same is true into Tennessee in Apison.

Both areas were rated EF4 (this was the same tornado, btw).

Looking at all of the video, with so much debris, I was wondering if the EF scale can be "skewed" because of what the storm picks up rather than the wind speeds. In other words, when a tornado like the Tuscaloosa one picks up a lot of debris, it wouldn't require as high a wind speed to do a greater amount of damage than the same tornado going through a less industrious area. It would be easier to level a brick house with flying bricks and steel than it would with flying wood given the same speed. Just wondering if that works into the equation when figuring out storm speed and damage.

Looking at all of the video, with so much debris, I was wondering if the EF scale can be "skewed" because of what the storm picks up rather than the wind speeds. In other words, when a tornado like the Tuscaloosa one picks up a lot of debris, it wouldn't require as high a wind speed to do a greater amount of damage than the same tornado going through a less industrious area. It would be easier to level a brick house with flying bricks and steel than it would with flying wood given the same speed. Just wondering if that works into the equation when figuring out storm speed and damage.

Be careful saying things like that, Greg. You might just open Pandora's box of endless debate with a statement like that. I think you're getting at one of the deficiencies of the EF-scale, but I'll refer to other threads on this forum for a further discussion.

Since the scale itself is a primarily a damage scale and not a windspeed scale, it couldn't be skewed. EF-0 tornadoes are not all weak, but the scale only measures damage.

The correlating windspeed to each EF category may not be terribly accurate in all situations, but I don't know enough about the topic to make an intelligent comment about it. Hopefully someone familiar with doing damage surveys will jump in. :)

If the top soil was heavily saturated it might have something to do with how easily the area was gouged. In July 1993 we had a severe storm with 90mph winds. The winds actually peeled back areas of sod next to some of our landscaping. The soil was very wet and once the sod let go it just rolled back several inches deep.

When all the reports are finally finished at some point in the future, I'll be very curious to read the conclusions as to why the number of fatalities are apparently higher than the Super Outbreak, given all the technological advances in weather forecasting, communications, etc. since that event.

Here's an article I stumbled on:
Washington Post

It is an interesting point of view. I wonder if NWS broadcast towers have power backup? Population density is still a good factor as well, if anyone hasn't seen the "Dallas tornado" scenario they always talk about on the weather channel shows, they mention hundreds of fatalities is a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
When all the reports are finally finished at some point in the future, I'll be very curious to read the conclusions as to why the number of fatalities are apparently higher than the Super Outbreak, given all the technological advances in weather forecasting, communications, etc. since that event.

Increased urban sprawl/population density, as well as the particular paths that the tornadoes took.

That video from Philadelphia, Miss., is incredible. This is very similar to what happened in Hillsdale and Lenawee Counties in Lower Michigan, on Palm Sunday in 1965. Apparently, the ground in two locations was gouged like this.

I've looked all over for closer views of the Tuscaloosa/Birmingham tornado as it approached the Birmingham suburbs. I finally found this, which apparently was shot from an apartment complex in Fultondale, on the very edge of the circulation. I don't think I've seen the link in this thread yet. The most relevant footage begins around 2:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztV9RCZV890

Wow...amazing video. The view outside that guy's place when he looks out at the height of the storm is truly frightening. Thanks for the link.

Back