2011-04-27 MISC: AL,TN,MS,KY,OH,IN,WV,GA

Good (and of course - expected) news...

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama -- The city says the number of missing people in Tuscaloosa has dropped to 80. The number had ranged as high as 340 on Monday.

Good (and of course - expected) news...

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama -- The city says the number of missing people in Tuscaloosa has dropped to 80. The number had ranged as high as 340 on Monday.

Awesome! Was wondering and hoping at the number this would drop to.

80 is still a lot more than I'm comfortable with. Wonder how there could be that many missing so many days after the event? Any word yet on the number of confirmed tornadoes from the 27th yet?

So far it looks like right around 110 confirmed tornadoes on the 27th

if you include those that happened with the 24 hours (before 8 AM on the 28th) then the number is 124 confirmed tornadoes within 24 hours

A must hear post outbreak chat - that is a bit different from the normal post storm discussion- but just as critical: http://www.weatherbrains.com/audio/wb050211.mp3

I haven't listened to that show in a while - do they still spend 60% of their shows trying somehow to bring up Global Warming so they can all pat each other on the back for reinforcing each others beliefs? I always used to think that show was such a shameful waste of good air-talent, as they'd take extremely intelligent and experienced scientist guests and then badger the hell out of them with one dimensional rhetorical fallacies about their own pet beliefs until the guests were audibly annoyed. It was like watching Glenn Beck, only the theatrics weren't as good.

So far it looks like right around 110 confirmed tornadoes on the 27th

if you include those that happened with the 24 hours (before 8 AM on the 28th) then the number is 124 confirmed tornadoes within 24 hours

Is there a good source article that says this? Also, how many F-5 tornados were confirmed on April 27th? There is so much misinformation in the media about the number of confirmed tornadoes vs. LSRs, and the number of violent tornadoes.

Is there a good source article that says this? Also, how many F-5 tornados were confirmed on April 27th? There is so much misinformation in the media about the number of confirmed tornadoes vs. LSRs, and the number of violent tornadoes.

151 confirmed by damage surveys as of yesterday. I compiled a list of the tracks confirmed by damage surveys, and provided the link in another thread, but here it is for anyone that missed it.

http://www.johnefarley.com/tornadotracks04-2011.htm

Saw that but the audio was just making my ears bleed. Still have not heard many first-hand accounts of the impact that the power outages in some communities from the earlier storms might have had on the situation. I've heard antectodal references to NWS transmitters being out in some locales and spotty electricy/internet in others. Any one heard anything specific?

151 confirmed by damage surveys as of yesterday. I compiled a list of the tracks confirmed by damage surveys, and provided the link in another thread, but here it is for anyone that missed it.

http://www.johnefarley.com/tornadotracks04-2011.htm

Thanks very much John! So this is outbreak is not bigger than the Superoutbreak?

:edit: OK, just read the Superoutbreak of 74 has 148 confirmed tornadoes, so this event on April 27th is officially the biggest 24 hour outbreak of tornadoes in recorded history in the US. Amazing.

New close look video from Tuscaloosa.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A3BYtc00I8

That guys commentary and attitude hacks me off. He's either incredibly ignorant of the tornado's strength or could care less that it is probably killing people at that time because it looks "awesome".

anyway...when the full tornado comes into view, look at the horizontal funnels almost at ground level. I hadn't seen those in other footage.

I was just reading the damage survey report from NWS Birmingham. Pretty amazing stuff.
(Sorry if this has been mentioned before)

A 2 TON UTILITY TRAILER FROM THIS LOCATION
WAS FOUND A MILE AWAY...WITH A 2.5 FOOT IMPACT CRATER WHERE IT
LANDED.

Or,

THE MAIN INDICATORS OF HACKLEBURG HAVING EF-5
DAMAGE IS THE TOSSING OF VEHICLES UPWARDS OF 150-200 YARDS

I'm still amazed there were not more EF-5 ratings, that's just my opinion though.

Does that 151 include long track tornadoes that crossed office lines... as one tornado and not 2 tornadoes. I have recounted them and still only come up with 115 tornadoes when you remove the duplicate entries

Thanks very much John! So this is outbreak is not bigger than the Superoutbreak?

:edit: OK, just read the Superoutbreak of 74 has 148 confirmed tornadoes, so this event on April 27th is officially the biggest 24 hour outbreak of tornadoes in recorded history in the US. Amazing.

The spreadsheet he compiled were all tornadoes from April 26th-April 28th... that's more than the 24 hours. I also believe that there will be more continued tracks once the WFOs can coordinate a little better. I believe we're still a far way from knowing if this breaks the super outbreak.

Back