2010 Post Chase Radar and GPS Analysis

Yeah, 6-5 was uhm. painful. Even though we saw 2 tornadoes from 8 miles away.... seeing Brad, Scott, Kurts, Bobs, etc, etc, etc video.............

baby-crying.jpg

I <3 6/5 :)

What would be sweet is if this was a web app that would accept gpx/kml files and spit out a custom animation!

I'd love to extend the capabilities of this software to do that. There are a few links in the process that would be quite tricky to do programmatically. The first is getting the radar data. I'm not sure if I can automatically interface with the NCDC HAS system to obtain the radar data. The next would be encoding the rendered frames into a video format that Youtube (or something similar) can use. It looks like Youtube has an API that would work for uploading the encoded files, but interfacing with and understanding these APIs is going to take a lot of effort. Right now I'm using Sony Vegas to encode the video, and it wouldn't be fair to the user if I said, "Ok, here's 5000 PNGs... use your video editor to encode them into video."

The turnaround time from when you upload your GPX data to when you have an animation on Youtube might be over a day as well, as it takes awhile for NCDC to send the requested data, rendering out the individual frames takes hours, and the resulting animation can be hundreds of megabytes and takes quite a while to upload to Youtube. Some serious server horsepower would be needed to fully automate the process or the wait for animations would be incredibly long, especially if there are multiple animation requests.

I'll start poking around though and see how far I get. If there are any developers on here who would like to help out with this project please let me know and maybe we can pool our resources.

Good day all,

Skip, you did an awesome job at putting these together. It compliments your work on the storm-lapse project / DVD as well, as many of these chases are in that as well!

Keep up the good work.

On 5/22 we drove right underneath the tornado producing region of the storm twice.

Skip on this video at 0:10 in time you (or I think it's you) drive up out of that gap where the tornado is crossing the road. I also have a Hollingshead DVD and some other earlier footage of the Bowdle event where I saw you even closer to the action. I don't have that footage on YT, but I can vouch for seeing your van pretty close to the tornado. My wife was a little nervous in that video as that was the first time she saw a tornado on the ground up close and personal. She saw rope tornadoes and so forth before, but nothing like that Bowdle wedge.

I really like this software you have put together Skip and like you said, it's probably a very good learning tool to see how you reacted in-situ.

Nice video Mark!

Wes - We definitely live in the hook region so it would not surprise me to see us punch the hook (5/10, 5/22, 6/17) to name some that stick out right off the bat. lol Skip is a great guy to know and have on your side! The possibilities are endless with him and his software skills.

Back