2010-06-05 MISC: OH/MI/IL/IA

Still shut down, there was damage to several parts of the plant, and widespread damage to the site. Roof and siding damage to the plant, several smaller outbuildings were damaged, some trailers were overturned, and incoming power lines were downed. Lots of trees down all over the property, most look like high wind damage. One corner of the property though, looks like tornado damage. Trees are twisted and mangled in all directions, and a pole barn type building was destroyed. I think the site was grazed if it indeed was tornado, with a lot of associated wind damage.

Yeah now I see none of the news articles mentioning it restarting. I had heard on the local news that it was back up, but I know how accurate "the news" can be ;)

Got back in town yesterday. As I was in Wisconsin, I missed the tornado fest in Michigan. One storm started rotating just over my house (according to radar) and appears to have dropped at least one tornado in Battle Creek. The NWS is supposed to do a survey this afternoon. Based on my little survey, there may have been two tornados. There is some damage were I work, with some very minor damage to my building. This damage is only about a block long. Then, about three blocks south, there is more significant damage. This damage path is about half a mile long. Tree damage is significant, with several structures damaged. One house had a tree toppled on one side of a driveway, then just across the drive is another tree toppled 180 degrees the other direction. Based on that, I'm guessing this was a tornado.

Attachments

• Damage3.jpg
    Damage3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 96
  • Damage4.jpg
    Damage4.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 89
  • Damage5.jpg
    Damage5.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 87
Toledo Area June 5 Tornado Radar Image

Animated Radar image of radar of the Toledo area tornadic storm from Cleveland.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/cle/wx_events/2010/June/june5-6/toledo.html

wood_county_tor_june5.gif

EF0 tornado damage confirmed by the NWS on the south side of Marysville, OH. This storm hit at about 5:00 AM Sunday morning, and I seen 3-4 power flashes to the south while looking out my bedroom window, followed by the power going out. We then headed to the basement.

There were several houses with roofs completely gone as well as trees down, power poles/light poles down.

Nothing compared to the destruction elsewhere, but add this tornado to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOT has a good overview of the atmospheric conditions leading up to the storms.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=05june2010summary
2,500-3000 J/Kg CAPE in the area of the Yates City/Elmwood cell, jet max approaching around 7pm CST, an outflow boundary from central Illinois migrating north enhancing the low level shear bringing the SRH up to 350-400 and SigTor of 6-7.

Others are getting around to updating their surveys. DTX has the Dundee, MI tornado as EF2 at 800 yards wide!
ILX has EF2 on the Elmwood tornado. 50 yards wide, it was pretty tight at the ground.
GRR has EF1 on the Battle Creek tornado, 300 yards wide.
IWX has EF2 on the Fulton County, OH tornado, half mile wide and an EF3 in Cass Co, IN

Sounds like two tornadoes in Canada as well.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/windsor/story/2010/06/07/wdr-leamington-tornado-100607.html

The CBC article includes a link to an interview with one of the Environment Canada mets. He described the length of damage as being 35 km, but it was hard to tell from the interview if the tornado had that much of a path length, or if the 35 km was downburst damage, or what kind of combination it was. The met describes finding evidence of both. It was also clear that he was continuing the survey, so the data were incomplete at the time of the interview.

Towards the end of the article, it mentions another tornado in eastern Ontario, near the Quebec border.

It also says these were the first tornadoes in Canada this year. Unfortunately I can see nothing describing these on the EC web site, but I may well have been looking in the wrong place.

Todd

Won't get into how bad we busted during the day staying west in Iowa, but glad the folks in Illinois are okay. Sorry to hear about the deaths in Ohio. Here are some damage pictures from the Streator area. Note the snapped hi-tension power poles, indicative of EF-3 damage.

img0043f.jpg

img0028le.jpg

img0020os.jpg

img0094ec.jpg

img0092pr.jpg

Toledo area tornado-
My dad took this picture of the terrible damage at the Lake Township Police Department, which is next to Metcalf Airport in Walbridge Ohio. I used to live approximately 5 miles from there, and my parents live 10 miles from there. I don't live in the Toledo area now.

Attachments

• IMG_1284_4.jpg
    IMG_1284_4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 82
I came across a very interesting little video--I downloaded it and slowed it down and brightened it up.

I saw something so far as I know UNNOTICED in it.

Watch the video very closely-in it you will see what looks like 2 cars coming around a corner and passing the camera-once the car comes close-you will realize it is actually 2 cars passing each other--the video is facing West
[http://draconi.com/DRACONi-Millbury_Tornado_Footage_3.mpg

the first car is the one who got to the Lake Police station only to have the wife of that family blown away and killed by the tornado--the second car was flipped around as shown in this video
this video is facing SouthEast
http://draconi.com/DRACONi-Millbury_Tornado_Footage_1.mpg

the original video has now been reworked by those who shot it-but they too have not noticed this-I called and emailed them-so maybe we will find out if I am correct or not.

What I see are actually 3 cars--the car following the fisrst two becomes airborne and speeds up while airborne and is what impacts the powerline/transformer causing the huge flash--I am worried that this vehicle could have been deposited in a pond near this location, and at the very least the body of the driver is laying somewhere undiscovered?
take notice of sections on this video watch closely at 1:40 you see 2 sets of headlight-BUT there are actually 3 cars -2 passing each other and one following behind

At 1:44 you can tell there are 2 cars and a third one following behind--watch VERY CLOSE as the 3rd car will momentarily disapear and then reappear at 1:50 marj--Airborne and climbing as the 2 front car become obviously 2 cars

At 1:55 you see the impact of that car with the powerline/pole that then explodes

All your enhanced footage seems to stop just short except frames near 3:02-> 3:08 which show the thrid car going airborne behind the first 2

http://draconi.podhoster.com/media/DRACONi_Millbury_Ohio_Tornado_CCTV_Video.m4v

Excellent video
Is that a second tornado at 06:25 ?

You know, I have the same question.

In the second video, there are two times when you see extreme winds hitting the building. During the first video, when the two cars are coming towards the camera, the tornado was not far behind, especially when you see the third vehicle being lifted.

In the second video, the two cars drive by, and something hits. It then calms down, proceeded by another more dramatic period of extreme winds.

Sure looks like there may have been two tornadoes.

What I see are actually 3 cars--the car following the fisrst two becomes airborne and speeds up while airborne and is what impacts the powerline/transformer causing the huge flash--I am worried that this vehicle could have been deposited in a pond near this location, and at the very least the body of the driver is laying somewhere undiscovered?

Talked to a TV met from the area and that was the car fatality caught on tape...

RDALE-thanks for clearing it up--there is also a fatal shown in video 2 where the car pulls up to the police station-family of 3-wife didnt get inside in time.

As for twin tornados-the guys at Draconi seem to see the same thing on the tapes

RDALE-thanks for clearing it up--there is also a fatal shown in video 2 where the car pulls up to the police station-family of 3-wife didnt get inside in time.

As for twin tornados-the guys at Draconi seem to see the same thing on the tapes

I've got to say, that is absolutely chilling footage. The last seconds of a terrified driver's life--airborne, flying through the darkness, headlights illuminating a mass of confusion, huge explosion...man, it just hits me in the gut.

One thing puzzles me, though: while the tornado is clearly circulating cyclonically, the car arcs from right to left in the opposite direction of the apparent circulation. Does that strike anyone else as weird? Makes me wonder what else was going on that the camera didn't capture.

I was confused by that too, but I think I figured it out. The car disappears momentarily before the big flash, so I think it simply went around the side of the tornado opposite the camera.

I had thought of that too, but (and granted it's night and hard to tell much of anything for sure) I just don't get that from looking at the video.

I think the car was lifted by a suction vortex--as that tornado was not more than 100-150 feet wide at the base at that point. I had assumed it was picked up-sucked into the left front quadrant and INTO the tornado-and spit back out the right side of the funnel.
Yes its creepy to see. I did actually call draconi, and they had the locals search the pond.
in a separate video ( I cant find it anymore) there was shown a black car, and its clear that someone inside had went out the drivers window, striking the door frame area hard enough to bend it while being ejected/sucked out.

June 5 2010 Streator, IL

I am curious if anyone has video or pictures of this storm. It was the storm to the East of the Yates City to Elmwood, IL supercell. It destroyed a trailer park after dark and was rated ef-3.

Back