2010-06-05 MISC: OH/MI/IL/IA

rdale

EF5
3 dead near Toledo, one was in a car and one walking. The third may have been from a man who wouldn't go to the basement so his family did, then they couldn't find him after the storm when I was listening earlier this morning.

Cabela's and the neighboring water park in Dundee MI have been hit hard, I've not found pictures yet.

A boatload of tornado warnings were issued yesterday well into the cool air, none of which verified. Kudos to the SPC for their mesoanalysis page, as the LFC map was crucial in seeing the threat. None of the tornadoes occurred where LFC's were 3000m or higher. It's tough to see some of the contours simply because the new SPC maps are such a wide area, but I really can't see any TORs that occurred with 2000+m LFCs. Most were closer to 1000m.

Jon Davies has a good paper on this topic at http://www.jondavies.net/LLthermo.PDF

SigTor did great too - no tornadoes occurred where the SIGTOR was less than one.

Mods: I think that the date should be changed to 6/5/10.

SPC did a great job! Thanks for the link to the Davies paper!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to Brad Emel and Scott Sims for some spectacular video of the tornado near Yates City, IL yesterday! IMO that is potential T.V.C. footage right there and that's saying a lot considering the massive amount of tornado footage being taken today vs. just 10 years ago.

My only question is...why the music? Would have liked to hear the sound of the storm, and your reactions.

06/05/10 DISC: OH/MI/IL/IA

Amazing day of tornadoes and severe weather, sadly, affecting property and human lives.

I am looking for radar imagery of the Toledo, OH area thunderstorm activity that spawned damaging tornadoes across Lake Township. If anyone has knowledge of where I can find radar archives of this storm, please respond with the link. Toledo, Ohio is my hometown. I have had requests from my friends back home who would like radar stills of the storm. I was chasing yesterday and was not observing Ohio radar.

I have information on the casualties as reported by Toledo Blade. The report says that a little 4 year old boy and his mother were killed. A 21 year old woman was killed while attempting to take shelter - and a woman on highway 795 was struck and killed by airborne debris in her car while on the highway as the tornado approached - and apparently a man who went to look for the storm outside on his porch had his house fall on him and he died. The names of the victims are on the Toledo Blade website if anyone is worried about someone they love. (Source: Toledo Blade)

People are way to lax when it comes to sirens going off and going outside to see the storm - especially at night, when there's nothing to see anyway. And even though there are warnings on radio and outdoor sirens, sometimes all the warnings in the world won't stop someone from being in the wrong place at the wrong time - such as the victim on 795. I'm saddened by all these happenings.

I talked with a friend who lives in Monroe, MI who has many friends in Dundee - damage is extensive. She is currently going to Dundee and will be sending me damage pics shortly - a tree apparently went inside the home.

What a day it was for damaging tornadoes. Definately verified the MOD risk without any doubt, am pretty certain quite a few of these tornadoes will be in the EF-2 to EF-3 categories preliminarily. Here is a youtube link of NW Ohio damage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQaSYljwdtE

Here are the SPC reports from yesterday's outbreak:

yesterday.gif

We were in extreme southeast IA about to head home back to IL...the lapse rates sucks and there was no forcing. It was like mother nature turned a switch. We got into IL and the supercell went up northeast of Burlington, IA. We went from completely nothing to raging tornadic supercells with the LLJ switch going from off to on.

Quite an incredible day.

Interesting how supercells ended up as the dominant mode -- and with little in the way of wind/hail damage.

Simply didn't see anything to predict such an outbreak mode wise.

While I thought we'd have shear suitable enough for tornadoes... turning with height didn't seem that significant and figured discrete activity would be short lived. (figured there would be quite a bit of storm competition)

Perhaps the extensive cloud cover from early in the day held things off long enough... perhaps kept enough of a cap to create an environment more suited for discrete activity.

Central Illinois was sunny all day. We sat in Iowa and KNEW we had to get back into Illinois. Thankfully we caught up to the storm near Peoria. 82/72 was the norm in C IL yesterday. With a remnant boundary from the dead MCS in the morning. Along with the LLJ ramping up just gave it enough low level turning. Structure was AMAZING. With all the moisture in the area, one would have thought HP monsters. These sups were classic sups. The Peoria supercell took on a weird shape. The entire updraft was tilted almost horizontal. The core precip was 10 miles ahead of the tornado. Adam I think shot an amazing shot of this.

Headed out to 10 mi N of Atlantic IA/I-80 from Storm Lake IA to readjust my strategy and look at RUC/SREF data for any changes. While I was at a gas station, I met up with an NCAR team (they were a part of the V2 team - BTW). Talked to one student for about 10 min - very interested in severe storms and excited about this day. Nice fellow: friendly and talkative. He said that the spot where we were at should be the initiation point in the next three hours. I shrugged and said that I was headed east and south of Des Moines.

Got to Des Moines and went S on I-35. It had turned all linear and was pathetic. I was disgusted. At least I saw Des Moines for the first time - lol! It was better than sitting at home doing nothing - but not much better. Had I gone 25 mi east from where I was - I would have scored. On radar - it was a mess. Losing the data feed several times didn't help - and it wasn't the fault of my Verizon air card. Had to re-start GR3 several times. The bases were fairly low - and the best storm topped out at 27k.

Five busts in a row so far this year; this is how noobs learn the hard way - lol. BTW - the Atlantic IA location was the center of the highest CINH. What was that student saying by being in the best spot for initiation? That cap was just too strong to break.

Yep Matthew. I was sitting in Mount Pleasant, IA and there was some sprinkling going on. There was the line of storms in western Iowa that had a severe warning, but wasn't really doing much.

I sat around in the WalMart parking lot there for a half an hour until I decided the low level winds just weren't cutting it and at 6:09 (according to my dash cam time stamp) decided to head east on US 34. Just as I left town my radar updated to the nice cell that later spawned the Yates City tornado. It struggled for a bit on radar at first, but eventually it got into the better shear and went up really quick.

I tracked close to it until 8:08 pm when there was a road block just west of Elmwood. Diverted south around the town and only saw it from a distance, then lost it in the dark as it tracked towards Peoria.

Ok, so I did not go "chasing" this day. I was in a wedding for a fellow meteorology graduate student, who is on this forum from time to time. Guess where he decided to have his wedding this day? That's right, Peoria, IL. We were partying away at the reception party when it began to rain. We went outside and heard the sirens going off, so needless to say some of us were excited. We were located about a half mile north of I-74 and half mile west of highway 6 in the western part of the city. It was very interesting as the rain picked up with the forward flank, followed by small hail. Then the winds began to pick up and switch out of the northeast and the rain then ended. When we saw very strong rotation coming over the trees, we went inside to take cover. Once a few of us went upstairs, we saw what looked like two seperate wall clouds. One was directly to our east, while the original meso was to our northeast. It was the best wedding I have ever been to. I hope to plan a wedding with a supercell on my wedding day :).

Preliminary Damage Surveys

LOT http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=05june2010summary
ILX http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=ilx&storyid=53343&source=0
The Quad (DVN) http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dvn&storyid=53349&source=0

Apparently there were two tornadoes in Dwight. I saw the city from I-55 as I was headed back to Michigan, the exits were blocked by emergency vehicles, and I could see all the emergency vehicles in Dwight from the highway...I'd never seen so many, at least thirty. EF-2 for the southern Dwight tornado.

Closer to home for me:
DTX: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dtx&storyid=23597&source=0
GRR: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=grr&storyid=53372&source=0
IWX: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?site=iwx&product=PNS&issuedby=iwx

DTX has three tornadoes one that hit a nuclear power plant on Lake Erie (it's back up and running), Cabela's in Dundee took a hit as well as the nearby hotel and indoor waterpark.
GRR with a tornado just south of Battle Creek.

Very widespread damage everywhere. My co-worker called me, his hometown is in Monroe County, MI said it looks like a warzone with telephone poles and trees just snapped off about 10/15 feet up, trees on cars and houses, etc.

Didn't see anything out of Cleveland yet and I suspect ILX will be busy for a bit.

I noticed that ILX issued a Tornado Emergency for Peoria at one point Saturday night... is that the first time they have ever done so?

I also noticed (feel free to correct me if I missed something) that LOT did NOT issue Tornado Emergencies for Streator, Dwight or Kankakee, although by the usual criteria (confirmed sighting of a large/significant tornado headed for a populated area) one would have been justified.

Whatever forms the warnings took, however, they did their job in that they kept people from being killed or seriously injured.

We were in extreme southeast IA about to head home back to IL...the lapse rates sucks and there was no forcing. It was like mother nature turned a switch. We got into IL and the supercell went up northeast of Burlington, IA. We went from completely nothing to raging tornadic supercells with the LLJ switch going from off to on.

any pics to post of the Yates City tornado?

Here is the Yates City tornado. It did some amazing things, almost retrograded just East of Yates City, so it certainly sat over one spot for about 20-30 seconds.

picture.php

It impacted a few buildings on the north side of Yates, simply stunning to see it from 400 yards as it hit these barns. In the picture is the first structure that it hit in Yates, a small shed next to a small barn.

Best video I have ever shot.

The NAM/SREF seemed to do a pretty good job with the setup I think but there were some things that were underdone by the models.

For example, the H7 shortwave was stronger then what the models were showing, this helped out in the forcing department and there was also an 80kt jet max at H5 so this setup had a bit more energy to work with then thought before everything happened. There was some serious turning from H85 to H5.

It was amazing watching how fast the burlington storm went supercellular. We were intially behind it as it was going up but got out ahead of it and before you know it, the rotation was really tightening up and we saw 2 landspouts/tornadic dust whirls. after this occured a really ragged wall cloud developed extremely fast with a nice tail cloud feeding into it.

I will try to post some more thoughts as I am dead tired right now, overall best chase of my life so far.

I noticed that ILX issued a Tornado Emergency for Peoria at one point Saturday night... is that the first time they have ever done so?

I work at ILX, and I don't recall us ever using that wording before.

I was headed back from St. Louis at the time, so I missed out on all the activity.

The NAM/SREF seemed to do a pretty good job with the setup I think but there were some things that were underdone by the models.

For example, the H7 shortwave was stronger then what the models were showing, this helped out in the forcing department and there was also an 80kt jet max at H5 so this setup had a bit more energy to work with then thought before everything happened. There was some serious turning from H85 to H5.

It was amazing watching how fast the burlington storm went supercellular. We were intially behind it as it was going up but got out ahead of it and before you know it, the rotation was really tightening up and we saw 2 landspouts/tornadic dust whirls. after this occured a really ragged wall cloud developed extremely fast with a nice tail cloud feeding into it.

I will try to post some more thoughts as I am dead tired right now, overall best chase of my life so far.

Didn't have this setup as well forecasted as I needed to... was it a shortwave arrival that really got things going in Illinois finally? (if you recall...)

DTX has three tornadoes one that hit a nuclear power plant on Lake Erie (it's back up and running)

Still shut down, there was damage to several parts of the plant, and widespread damage to the site. Roof and siding damage to the plant, several smaller outbuildings were damaged, some trailers were overturned, and incoming power lines were downed. Lots of trees down all over the property, most look like high wind damage. One corner of the property though, looks like tornado damage. Trees are twisted and mangled in all directions, and a pole barn type building was destroyed. I think the site was grazed if it indeed was tornado, with a lot of associated wind damage.

I had to work the day of the storms, go figure, but here in Ohio, the tornado threat did not ramp up until after dark, we had several tornadoes within 20 miles of my home. I went out yesterday and surveyed the damage and looks to be EF3-4 damage, some homes wiped totally off their foundations, here is a link to the damage photos. - http://www.flickr.com/photos/detrichpix_movingpictures/sets/72157624093574905/show/

That high school in Millbury, Ohio looks as destroyed as the one did in Greensburg, Kansas. Looks like EF4 or EF5 damage.

Back