2004 the new record tornado year?

Yeah, not all the August numbers are from 'canes, but most of them are. But yeah, I see that you mentioned that above now. Also, I'd expect to keep seeing record tornado counts grow - I think we still only catch ~80% of all tornado events that occur - but get a little better each year. Also, events that before probably would have been counted as a single event now might be 2-3 because of someone catching it on video and showing it as distinct separate events. That said, the last two years have still been more active than usual IMO and apparently most others....

Glen

It's interesting how NE Colorado gets the bullseye now because of the numerous landspouts each year that usually hit nothing and go nowhere.......I say this because the Energy Center Gang generally dismiss all tornadoes below F2, when using climatalogical data for studies or even creating climatalogical data for tornadoes.

4 more tornadoes in Florida today. Two of them hit around my vacation spot. Like they need anything else this season. The important thing is that this tornado record is a running total and it ain't over yet.

Hi,

I do tend to agree that after a slow start, the tornadoes came through in great numbers. Simply amazing. Wierd though that this year, we did not chase the Texas Panhandle.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

It's interesting how NE Colorado gets the bullseye now because of the numerous landspouts each year that usually hit nothing and go nowhere.......I say this because the Energy Center Gang generally dismiss all tornadoes below F2, when using climatalogical data for studies or even creating climatalogical data for tornadoes.

In a sense, I agree.. but in essence, a tornado is a tornado regardless... besides, how many places can you literally go out on any given afternoon in summer, bag a couple spouts, then head back in time to catch a Rockies game! :)

And for a comment on the tornado production this year, all my tornadoes came within the confines of the Plains... I didn't have to go beyond for mine this year, but.. I spent all my time in Kansas and Nebraska! Only twice did I actually end up chasing anything south of the Kansas/Oklahoma border. The funny quote of the year, we're chasing Iowa in May and we're still TOO FAR south! :lol:

Back