2/24/07 NOW: NE/SD/MN/IA/WI/IL/MI/IN (WINTER PRECIP)

Well I figured I'd start a NOW thread for the wintry side of this impressive storm system, now that it's beginning to move in. It will be interesting to see the varying precip types in different areas...

Light freezing rain has been falling on and off all morning here. Dry air from the east has been eating at the leading edge of the main precip band as it tries to move in. So far almost 0.10" ice accumulation. Much heavier freezing rain and sleet is now beginning to move in though. Temps here are hovering right at 30°. Winds have been gusting up to near 40mph all morning. So as we accumulate more ice things are not going to be good.

It's looking like a pretty severe icestorm this afternoon in my local area, and then tonight probably a transition to just plain rain as the low center nears.

Local media reports that law enforcement authorities are thinking about closing a large stretch of I-80 in eastern IA, between Iowa City and the Quad Cities.

I've got 0.30" ice accumulation here with numerous 3"-6" diameter tree branches down. The ice storm was somewhat of a suprise this far south, especially since early model runs were showing west central IL well south of the freezing line.

The radar loop is very impressive. I don't think the convection to the south is really "robbing" the moisture, as it's trajectory would put that stuff right through the IL/IN/MI.

Model QPF definitely indicates a convective "feel" to the precipitation, with lower MI seeing anything from 0.50 inches to 1.25 inches of QPF (depending on model and location).

1/2" sized snowflakes are mixing in with heavy sleet now. In fact, I think the dominant precip type is sleet now, with very little if any freezing rain. Now I'm starting to wonder if we'll see more snow than previously thought down here.

The media stations keep breaking in with live updates. I-80 is still open for now, but it may be closed at any time, so I'd avoid it if possible.

Freezing rain and sleet continue to fall moderately. We now have a 1/4" glaze. Snow has mixed in a few times, but didn't last but just a few minutes each time. It mixed in when the precip was coming down intensely.

The trees are really swaying now in these high winds. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to post. Unfortunately some areas around are beginning to lose power.

I'll keep updating from time to time if I still have power...

Radar still looking impressive, although I see cloud tops warming from central IL northwestward as stuff blows up to the south.

Latest 18Z NAM shows 850MB T's bumping up above freezing here in southeastern lower MI, although I'm still very unsure of precipitation type. I think the precipitation might be convective in nature, as seen across central IL.

We have somewhere in between 1/4 and 1/2 inch of ice accums. so far. Reports coming in about power lines and trees down of course. I expect more sleet and freezing rain to occur until early this evening when the changeover begins. We could meet blizzard criteria tonight as heavy snow and very high winds create whiteout conditions, total snowfall in my area should be around the 12" area when the heaviest snowfall ends on Sun.

closed now

Local media reports that law enforcement authorities are thinking about closing a large stretch of I-80 in eastern IA, between Iowa City and the Quad Cities.

Closure - Interstate 80
Interstate 80: from Exit 254 to Exit 277
road closed

last updated today at 2:18 PM

DTX doesn't seem to be coordinated with other NWSFO's, as they are going with an advisory south half of CWA (compared with WSW to the north and west and ICE warnings to the south and east). Can't say I blame them though - while heavy precipitation will be possible, I don't think there will be enough of one type to reach warning criteria. Like I said in the FCST thread, we'll probably end up with 0.10 inches of ZR, a couple inches of IP, and a couple inches of SN.

Out where I am in Lake County, Illinois we are at the southern most tip of the Blizzard Warning on the Wisconsin/Illinois/Lake Michigan boarder. Right now the snow is not reaching the ground due to the dry air in place. I'm still having a very tough time figuring this storm out and am not quite sure how much snow to expect here. The winds will certainly be within blizzard parameters, I know that much. As for the snowfall, I'm stumped.

Right now we're right around 30 degrees so we should start off as all snow. Just a little to my south there could be a fairly moderate icing problem, including the city of Chicago. Widespread power outages in Cook county is very possible. I do believe my area will see a change to sleet and freezing rain but so much depends on that freezing line. NE Illinois is very close to where the line will be and just 15 miles one way or the other will make a huge difference.

I'm going to go with 5-7 inches when it's all over. However, I wouldn't be surprised to only receive 2 inches and I also wouldn't be surprised to hit a foot of snow. Depends on the icing and how long it will stay all snow. I'm just at a loss...

Wow guys!! I am simply AMAZED! I've never seen it go from freezing rain to a blizzard in five minutes. We have VERY heavy snow falling now with winds gusting over 35mph. It just changed over as fast as someone flipping a switch. Very impressive!

If this keeps up things are going to get very interesting...

Nothing here in Dekalb, IL. My roommate reported a few sleet pellets hitting him in the face briefly on the way to the library. Looking at the radar there is a pretty strong group of echoes (thunderstorms??) just passing north of Peoria, IL. They have intensified momentarily, but it appears that up here, the dewpoints are still to low for too much precip at the surface.:confused: Skies to the SW are very dark, similar to what you would normally see if a thunderstorm was approaching. Winds have been howling out of the north much of the afternoon.

Winter Storm Warning was dropped and replaced with an Ice Storm Warning for much of the Chicago Metro area. Right now, it doesn't look like much will happen.

There must be a ton (relatively) of elevated CAPE over NC KS, and Nebraska.:eek: I am seeing quite a bit of strikage on NLDN coming out of that area. Bring some of that thundersnow over here!:cool:

Here's a quick snapshot of my backyard. This picture does not do this justice. Snow has accumulated 1" in the last 30 minutes.

The initial surge of snow changed back to all sleet for about 15 minutes. A half hour ago as a bright band of precip moved in it changed back. Snowing VERY intensely now...

It's now snowing here in bursts. It started about 5 minutes ago. I see that the area of precip from Des Moines to the Quad Cities is making little if any eastward progress.

Back