2/1/2006 NOW: South East TX

First severe weather warning of the afternoon in Fayette County Texas from the San Antonio office. Penny sized hail is the threat. Does not appear to be rotating or well organized yet but I could see a marginally severe hail threat.

So far looks like the wave I was depending on toward VCT is late. Probably won't go til near HOU and near dark, or after dark.

Watch out LA Coast...interesting cell offshore. :!:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LAKE CHARLES HAS ISSUED A

* SPECIAL MARINE WARNING FOR...
COASTAL WATERS FROM INTRACOASTAL CITY TO CAMERON LA OUT 20 NM OVER
GULF OF MEXICO WATERS

* UNTIL 945 PM CST

* AT 839 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
THUNDERSTORM...PRODUCING A WATERSPOUT OVER COASTAL WATERS FROM
INTRACOASTAL CITY TO CAMERON LA OUT 20 NM...OR ABOUT 20 MILES SOUTH
OF CAMERON...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

Good rotation through the cuts that I've seen. Mesocyclone nomogram indicates a strong mesocyclone on that cell at the 1.5º slice and a decent low-level rotation signature...even though the 0.5º slice is about 2250 feet in the air at this distance from the radar. Base velocity also indicates some >71 knot magnitude pixels...so there should be some severe weather from this cell. Does not appear to be producing much in the way of hail though.

I have the rotation pegged to get to Grand Chenier by 9:20 PM. Good news is that thats the only city on its pathcast through Cameron County, so rural area could be a benefit if a tornado touches down.

Given the WW and the SMW for waterspouts, would not be surprised to see a TOR here.

0630 PM TSTM WND DMG GRAND CHENIER 29.77N 92.97W
02/01/2006 CAMERON LA LAW ENFORCEMENT

CAMERON PARISH SHERIFF OFFICE REPORTED A TREE BLOWN DOWN
ON HIGHWAY 82 NEAR GRAND CHENIER

Yippee! Looks like I was right. The stronger MESO earlier has since weakened and broadened, making tornado potential much less likely. We shall see if it reorganizes any but looks like mainly a wind damage threat for now. 2 other warnings out...looks like it was a "nighttime show" after all, if you want to call it a show at all. :roll:

Originally posted by Alex Lamers

Yippee! Looks like I was right. The stronger MESO earlier has since weakened and broadened, making tornado potential much less likely. We shall see if it reorganizes any but looks like mainly a wind damage threat for now. 2 other warnings out...looks like it was a "nighttime show" after all, if you want to call it a show at all. :roll:

Cool. Finally some storms start. Looks like the other watch pretty well busted. I can't blame SPC though as I had the same forecast. Turns out my fear that the shortwave wouldn't show up in time came to pass. It kept slowing in later runs. I was hoping it would come through earlier during the afternoon when the low and cold front were still further west to assist in breaking the cap. I don't like to chase HOU metro and especially wouldn't want to at night.

TORNADO WARNING NEW ORLEANS

NEW ORLEANS HAS A MASSIVE HP STORM WITH BOW MOVING INTO TOWN. IM SURE ANY TORNADO IS WRAPPED IN A HUGE AMOUNT OF RAIN AND OR HAIL.
BASICALLY ONE LARGE BLOB OF A STORM BUT A HECK OF A STORM.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lix/

Wow New Orleans really can't escape the wrath of mother nature can it?

0300 AM TORNADO NEW ORLEANS 29.97N 90.08W
02/02/2006 ORLEANS LA BROADCAST MEDIA

UPDATED...5 HOUSES COLLAPSED IN THE LAKEVIEW AREA OF
NORTHWEST NEW ORLEANS. THE OLD STATE POLICE TROOP B TOWER
WAS KNOCKED DOWN FORCING CLOSURE OF SECTIONS OF VETERANS
HIGHWAY BETWEEN FLEUR DE LIS AND PONTCHARTRAIN BLVD. IN
ADDITION...OTHER HOUSES WERE DAMAGED AND NUMEROUS POWER
LINES WERE REPORTED DOWN. AN NWS SURVEY IS BEING
CONDUCTED THIS AFTERNOON. TIME EXTIMATED.

0234 AM TORNADO NEW ORLEANS ARMSTRONG A 29.98N 90.25W
02/02/2006 JEFFERSON LA OFFICIAL NWS OBS

WEATHER OBSERVER OBSERVED FUNNEL CLOUD AT THE SAME TIME
THAT SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE OCCURRED TO CONCOURSE C. 20 X 8
FOOT GLASS WINDOW ALONG WITH METAL FRAME WERE SUCKED OUT
IN WALKWAY AREA JUST PAST SECURITY CHECKPOINT. FOUR JET
BRIDGES WERE DAMAGED. SECTION OF TEMPORARY ROOF WAS BLOWN
AWAY. KMSY ASOS REPORTED PEAK WIND GUST OF 43 MPH AT
236 AM. WEATHER OBSERVER...WHO WAS LOCATED VERY CLOSE TO
CONCOURSE...WAS NOT ABLE TO AUGMENT OBSERVATION TO
REPORT TORNADO BECAUSE OF COMPLETE POWER LOSS.

Wow. Can't wait to see what the damage results are. Anyone know if they will be using the EF scale?

Back