08/08/04 NOW: Midwest, Northern Plains

Larry J. Kosch

Starting a NOW thread this morning as there are storm action in NE and TX this early a.m.

As I write this thread, I hear thunder rumbling outside my bedroom window. A line of thundershowers was moving thru my town of Lincoln NE this morning. On the NWS radar, it showed a line of garden variety thunderstorms streching from Omaha NE down to Superior and moving to the SE. I can also see on the NWS radar there is thunderstorm activity, garden variety again, in the NW sector of TX.

Since the Midwest is in a SLIGHT risk for storms today, this maybe setting NE up for severe weather later? Post your storm discussions here. Thanks.

Update: Two SWW blue boxes set up now. One for Southern NE / Northern KS and one for ND and MN.

Not a great tornado threat in southern Nebraska today, but it is sunny and instability is on the rise, as well as southerly flow being reported to 15 kts in northern Kansas, so why not. I plan on leaving Lincoln in the next half hour or so and drifting west/southwest towards the Hebron/Superior area as the cold front moves SE across the state. Maybe nothing more than a hail and wind day, but it looks like the cap is not going to last much longer, so it will be fun to see a few towers go up nonetheless. Got to take what you can get in August :)

Possible SWW for NE KS

Looks like we may have a possible SWW for NE and KS. NWS is having a MSC discussion:

AREAS AFFECTED: SERN NEB/NRN KS/ EXTREME NWRN MO/SWRN IA
CONCERNING SEVERE THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL VALID 081805Z - 081900Z. WW MAY BE NEEDED FOR PORTIONS OF SERN NEB...NRN KS...SWRN IA AND NWRN MO WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR.
Discussion was issued at 0105 PM CDT SUN AUG 08 2004.

Stay put in Lincoln, James, and see where this thing is going. Already I'm seeing a battle zone setting up in Northern NE. It enters NE near the O'Neill area and streches west toward Ogallala and exits the state in the panhandle. A nice line of cumulus clouds are building up.

I think sitting put right here in Beatrice will do me just fine. Looking at where the boundary sits and where it's headed I see no real reason to go elsewhere today. If anything I can watch storms roll on by.

Clouds Developing

So far, nothing significant has developed yet. The GOES-12 VIS SAT is showing two distinctive boundaries developing. One in northern NE, which I think is related to the cold frontal boundary coming down. The other one is developing along the I-80 corridor between Lincoln and Lexington NE. Areas south of the I-80 Interstate is showing considerable cumulus cloud development. We shall wait and see where the show will start...

CAPS are breaking

We have CAPS breaking and towers are going up in SE and SC NE. One storm has reached the anvil stage in Clay County in NE. That would be SE of Grand Island or E of Hastings. Movement is to the S-SE. Looks like JHadorn in Beatrice has prime viewing seats for this line of storms from E-SE of Lincoln to Hastings NE. Been outside already taking nice cloud pictures. Had to come back in as my batteries were going weak. Going out for more pictures...bye.

Minnesota Tornadoes (All Brief Touchdowns)
-703 PM CDT 3 WSW Karlstad in Kittson County
-622 PM CDT ! NW Turtle River in Beltrami County
-613 PM CDT 1 NW Kennedy in Kittson County
-550 PM CDT 3 W Debs in Beltrami County
-338 PM CDT 3 ESE Lake Bronson in Kittson County (several brief touchdowns)

North Dakota Tornadoes
-450 PM CDT 1 N Pembina in Pembina County
-418 PM CDT 1 S Neche in Pembina Couny

Mike

Back