07/26/2005 TALK: MIDWEST/GREAT LAKES

That's it, I quit!

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
CENTRAL TIPPECANOE COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA
THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF LAFAYETTE

* UNTIL 815 PM EST

* AT 750 PM EST...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD NEAR SHADELAND...OR ABOUT NEAR LAFAYETTE...MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH.

As of today, I am joining EF on the list of people who hate chasing. Of all the times to be in Colorado! At least it appears to have not verified though. Still my anger rages on. I HATE THE SKY!!!!!!!!!!!!

bc

That's it, I quit!

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
CENTRAL TIPPECANOE COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA
THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF LAFAYETTE

* UNTIL 815 PM EST

* AT 750 PM EST...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD NEAR SHADELAND...OR ABOUT NEAR LAFAYETTE...MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH.

As of today, I am joining EF on the list of people who hate chasing. Of all the times to be in Colorado! At least it appears to have not verified though. Still my anger rages on. I HATE THE SKY!!!!!!!!!!!!

bc

0002 URBANA CHAMPAIGN IL 4011 8821 TORNADO AT THE INTERSECTION OF ROUTE 130 AND HIGHWAY 150. REPORTED BY THE URBANA POLICE DEPARTMENT. (ILX)

I quit too...was stuck with dinner plans all nite that I couldnt get out of. So what happens? Tornado hits my own town. Screw mother nature.

ADDITIONAL DAMAGE SURVEYED NEAR DAYTON INDICATED THAT AN F0 TORNADO ACCOMPANIED THE MICROBURST WIND DAMAGE.
Yeah, that's basically the southeast corner of Lafayette. I-65 at IN 38. Our met club president claims to have seen a funnel over Shadeland (SW of LAF) but a quick look at the radar shows that she had to have x-ray vision. It's bad when even meteorology majors are so quick to see what's not there. Not being able to see the damage, I can't say for sure, but I don't entirely buy the Dayton tornado - despite the fact that 3 hams claim to have seen it. For one, it was 10 min before sunset. For two, people are stupid. For three, the only way to differentiate F0 tornado damage from a microburst is the direction the debris lays in. Its entirely possible that any convergent pattern to the debris could be a result of turbulent flow at the surface, not necessarily rotating. Ugh. Whatever.

Ben

ADDITIONAL DAMAGE SURVEYED NEAR DAYTON INDICATED THAT AN F0 TORNADO ACCOMPANIED THE MICROBURST WIND DAMAGE.
Yeah, that's basically the southeast corner of Lafayette. I-65 at IN 38. Our met club president claims to have seen a funnel over Shadeland (SW of LAF) but a quick look at the radar shows that she had to have x-ray vision. It's bad when even meteorology majors are so quick to see what's not there. Not being able to see the damage, I can't say for sure, but I don't entirely buy the Dayton tornado - despite the fact that 3 hams claim to have seen it. For one, it was 10 min before sunset. For two, people are stupid. For three, the only way to differentiate F0 tornado damage from a microburst is the direction the debris lays in. Its entirely possible that any convergent pattern to the debris could be a result of turbulent flow at the surface, not necessarily rotating. Ugh. Whatever.

Ben

As part of the survey team who assessed the Dayton damage, I can vouch for the fact that this was an enhanced and localized area of damage embedded within the overall high wind damage. Among other clues, the splatter of mud on the leeward side of buildings in Dayton was indicative of rotation. As one of the mets working radar here at IND on that particular evening, I can also vouch for the presence of significant evidence to support the report as it was called in.

In the end, wind is wind, and the public and their insurance companies don't really care, at least not nearly as much as we at the NWS do. It does give good fodder to get all worked up about on forums such as this, though. ;)

Edit: The funnel report was over West Lafayette, not Shadeland. Looks like that was the track that the WarnGen formatters spit out. Happens sometimes.

Back