07/24/05 TALK: Tropical Storm Gert

Looks like Gert's on a beeline for the shores of central Mexico. Likely just a rain/flooding event.

Man, is this a crazy season or what?

"GERT IS THE EARLIEST 7TH NAMED STORM ON RECORD...BREAKING THE OLD RECORD OF AUGUST 7TH. THE MEAN DATE OF FORMATION BEING SEPTEMBER 23RD.

FORECASTER FRANKLIN
"

At this rate, we'll run out of names! :lol:

Looks like Gert's on a beeline for the shores of central Mexico. Likely just a rain/flooding event.

Man, is this a crazy season or what?

"GERT IS THE EARLIEST 7TH NAMED STORM ON RECORD...BREAKING THE OLD RECORD OF AUGUST 7TH. THE MEAN DATE OF FORMATION BEING SEPTEMBER 23RD.

FORECASTER FRANKLIN
"

At this rate, we'll run out of names! :lol:

That aint no lie-this season has been way out of control so far. IMO, I think the 2005 season will turn out to be a lot more active than '04 was. I have a lot of family that lives in FL, and they've been stocking up big time on supplies. My dad is really paranoid about the 'canes and goes way overboard on the preparedness shopping...but I guess it's a good thing. If things keep going on the same track, the TPC will have to pull some "reserve" names out of the hat.

If things keep going on the same track, the TPC will have to pull some "reserve" names out of the hat.

They might want to re-think their physical location while they are at it. :wink:

Ah yes, that too. They may want move farther north and out of Miami since that area seems to be prime target for a lot of the "armageddon" hurricanes. :lol:

If things keep going on the same track, the TPC will have to pull some "reserve" names out of the hat.

They might want to re-think their physical location while they are at it. :wink:

Perhaps to Pensacola? :lol:

Actually, I think that Miami is the perfect place. The NHC building can withstand a Cat 5 hurricane I bet you. It's the same reason that the SPC is located in Norman: the forecasters there can see what they're forecasting!

Actually, I think that Miami is the perfect place. The NHC building can withstand a Cat 5 hurricane I bet you. It's the same reason that the SPC is located in Norman: the forecasters there can see what they're forecasting!

Didn't the NHC/TPC get damaged in hurricane Andrew? Then they rebuilt the new one to take a Cat 4 or 5.

What is really interesting is that all 7 systems have reached at least TS status. How often do we make it to G without having at least one stay in numbered territory?

Pensacola might be an OK location, but I was thinking somewhere along the lines of Alabama or Georgia. Regarding the NHC building...I'm almost certain that it could withstand Cat 4 if not Cat 5 strength winds. I know the SPC building in Norman was built to withstand a pretty good beating from tornadic winds...actually I'm very surprised that nothing's hit it in the year's past. I know a couple of the Moore tornadoes came dangerously close to that location and forecasters could actually see them from the facility.

I've been down to NHC several times, and their building is like a fortress. They didn't even bother to paint the outside of it white or anything. It's just solid concrete. Walls are 3 feet thick - steel reinforced. And there are many heavy glass doors with steel frames. There's a door separating different parts of the building so they separate the premises into different compartments. Even then, they claim the winds may begin to cause damage at cat. 4 strength. The forecasters would still relocate to Washington, D.C. in the event that another Andrew-type storm makes a direct landfall and 135 mph + winds are expected at the facility.

Back