07/05/05 -- TALK: Hurricane Dennis

This has the potential to be a MAJOR disaster for central and southern Indiana.

According to the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center:

p120i00.gif

Oh. Crap.

The only saving grace may be that the state has been relatively dry since the widespread 1-3 inch rains of the remnants of Arlene back on 11-13 June. However, 17 inches falling on the confluence of the White and Wabash Basins would be absolutely unbelievable.

It's going to be a busy couple of weeks for us at IND.

Wow, if that pans out, I think the restrictions on water usage will be lifted soon over WRN and NWRN KY. Looks like I am in the 4-5" rainfall zone here.

Geez, that's a lot of rainfall potential. Seems it's either feast or famine doesn't it?

-George

They have since, as the graphic shows, (forgot that would keep updating like that) backed off considerably. I'm not surprised at all. There still exists significant rainfall potential given that it appears that our good buddy here is going to camp over the lower Ohio Valley through the weekend, but not the disaster that the earlier predictions were making it out to be. Of course, this is the easiest way to change that so Dennis can make a liar out of me. I remain a little surprised that the folks at the QPF desk hit this so hard so early. Usually it seems like such things are ramped up as things get going.

I'm sure as hell not going to criticize them for it, though. They do a fine job and I'm sure they saw something that led them to go all out on their QPF.

Back