2005 Record Hurricane Season

Jason Toft

I thought I would make a thread on this subject.

at2005.gif

This season has been absolutely amazing, from a meteorological perspective. We had two storms form in June, a climotologically quiet month. Both were tropical storms, Arlene going into the FL/AL border, Bret going into southern Mexico.

Cindy was the first storm to form in July, and it took a northerly track towards Louisiana, clipping NO. Then we had two Major (CAT 3+) Hurricanes form, Dennis and Emily. Dennis hit the same area as Arlene, just from a different angle. Emily took a course WNW and only affected Mexico with it's strongest winds, but extreme Southern Texas was also affected. T.S. Franklin formed, then took an erratic track, never affecting the US. T.S. Gert then formed and closed out July by affecting the same area as Emily.

T.S. Harvey formed out in the middle of the Atlantic and affected Bermuda before racing NE and dissipating. Hurricane Irene then formed and looked like it might have affected the east coast before turning out to sea. T.S. Jose formed in the Bay of Campeche (sp?) and, during it's short spell, managed to dump heavy rains in southern Mexico.

Then came Katrina.
at200512_sat.gif

This intense and highly destructive storm formed from a lingering tropical wave and possibly the remants of Tropical Depression 10, which formed and dissipated about 9 days earlier. It made a brief landfall north of Miami, took a southwest turn, then essentially took a westerly course, then a big right hand turn took it straight into LA, a course that meteorologists and scientists in general had been predicting and dreading for decades.

T.S. Lee formed in the middle of the open oceand and never affected land. Hurricane Maria also never affected land, while Hurricane Nate skimmed south of Bermuda, just giving them a windy day.

Hurricane Ophelia was a strange system. It changed from a hurricane to a tropical storm and back THREE times and skimmed Cape Canaveral/KSC, amd dumped heavy rains and strong winds over the Eastern North Carolina coast. Hurricane Phillipe meandered around in the same area as Lee and never affected land, being sucked up into a large frontal system.

Then came Rita. As the second Category FIVE storm of the season, we set another record, with there being only three years where this has happened, '60, '61, and '05. Rita looked to be another Galveston, TX, storm for a while, and caused a huge evacuation of that area. She also set a record for the 3rd lowest pressure of all time in the Atlantic, bumping Katrina from it's spot there along with kicking '92's Andrew off the top 5 entirely, at 897mb (26.48" of Mercury). That closed off the month of September.

The first storm of October was Hurricane Stan, being prompt as all men are, and forming on the first. He took a track over the Yucatan and into southern Mexico, dumping up to 25 inches of rain in places that didn't need it. His death toll in total has been approximately 1500, because of the many mudslides and flooding that he caused. T.S. Tammy formed off of the east coast of FL, taking a mainly northwest track and making landfall at the FL/GA border.

Hurricane Vince...wow. He formed in an extremely rare spot off of a stalled low pressure system that gained tropical characteristics. His small size (no more than 75 miles across) was very peculiar, and before he dissapated, Tropical Depression Vince set a record as the first tropical system to make landfall on the Iberian Penisula and in Spain.

T.D. 24 was just upgraded to our last name on the list, Tropical Storm Wilma. The current computer models have the storm heading north, possibly affecting my area, the west coast of FL, as a hurricane. We will see if that happens what the rest of the story holds.

With six weeks left in the season, it is very likely that we will get our one November storm, in which we would move to the Greek alphabet, starting with Alpha. This would make 2005 the most active hurricane season EVER.

Jason Toft
October 17, 2005

Images © Weather Underground, www.wunderground.com
Text © Jason Toft, 2005

So, there is no record of any time, going into the Greek Alphabet / Past the last letter? And there is no record of 2 category fives, in a season?

So, there is no record of any time, going into the Greek Alphabet / Past the last letter?
From the original post:
"With six weeks left in the season, it is very likely that we will get our one November storm, in which we would move to the Greek alphabet, starting with Alpha. This would make 2005 the most active hurricane season EVER. "

And there is no record of 2 category fives, in a
season?
From the original post:
"Then came Rita. As the second Category FIVE storm of the season, we set another record, with there being only three years where this has happened, '60, '61, and '05. "

I was really wanting to see, evidence of this...like a document, or article...I did read the post, and I did understand what was said here...

Haha. :wink:

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing TS/HURR Alpha down the road. Obviously hoping it stays out to sea, but if this first ever Greek system headed my way...I can't say I wouldn't look forward to experiencing it first-hand.

...the phrase 'be careful what you wish for' is repeating itself in my head...

Now, heres the $64,000 question:

If Alpha forms and becomes a devastating hurricane, would Alpha become a retired name? If so, what would replace it?

If Alpha forms and becomes a devastating hurricane, would Alpha become a retired name? If so, what would replace it?

No, it will not be retired. Seeing as 'alpha' is representative of a letter in the alphabet, it cannot be retired -- for the same reason that a devastatingly flooding tropical depression could never be retired. If in 2006, TD4 kills a bunch of people on a Caribbean island, the number '4' wouldn't be retired, because, well, what would it be replaced with? Letters and numbers are just that: letters and numbers that will never change (obviously) and will never be retired by the WMO.

LOL -- hopefully someone can piece the english language together better than I just did, and provide a more eloquent and less-confusing response. :oops: :? 8)

Record Hurricane Season, Jason you had no idea when you started this topic. I am sure by now everyone has had a chance to see the Weather Channel. Wilma is now the third Cat 5 with winds of 175mph and a minimum central pressure, a new Atlantic basin record, of 882mb. WOW! What records are left.

88mb pressure drop in 12 hours, and 101mb drop in 24 hrs (assuming this record low pressure is calibrated and confirmed). The previous world record for 24hr pressure change is 100mb, and I could not find any data on 12hr pressure change.

Originally posted by Aric Cylkowski

I sent an e-mail to the NHC PR department asking this question. If I get an official response I'll post it.

Originally posted by Jason McKittrick
Record Hurricane Season, Jason you had no idea when you started this topic. I am sure by now everyone has had a chance to see the Weather Channel. Wilma is now the third Cat 5 with winds of 175mph and a minimum central pressure, a new Atlantic basin record, of 882mb. WOW! What records are left.

I have heard about American Scientific thinks Wilma is an exceptional hurricane, quite small, with small eye, and it would be an unclassified hurricane with an upper category than cat. 5... What are your thoughts? :shock:

In Cazatormentas.Net we are monitoring (weather spanish enthusiasts discussion) the evolution of Wilma (in Spanish). I leave here a link to it, if you want to take a look:

http://www.cazatormentas.net/foro/index.ph...pic,4926.0.html

Originally posted by rdale
The formal name would be Alpha '05, so regardless it would never reappear (until 2105!)

In that case why not just add two more numbers and make it Alpha 2005, then we wouldn't ever have to worry about '05 being reused.. :p

Originally posted by rdale
The formal name would be Alpha '05, so regardless it would never reappear (until 2105!)

Just curious... Where did you find this? I'm trying to find an 'official' source that explains how a retired greek-named storm would work, or IF one can be retired. Thanks!

Heh, they (tropical storms name panel) probably never thought this would happen, and if it did, if Alpha would be significant enough to retire (or rename).

AN AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER HAS FORMED OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA. SOME SLOW DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO.

ANOTHER AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER...ASSOCIATED WITH A WESTWARD-MOVING TROPICAL WAVE...IS LOCATED ABOUT 550 MILES EAST OF THE SOUTHERN WINDWARD ISLANDS. UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE NOT CURRENTLY FAVORABLE FOR DEVELOPMENT.

From the 11:30am Tropical Weather Outlook... Several globals have forecast the development of a tropical cyclone over the southwestern Caribbean for a couple of days. In fact, I see that the GFS has come around to developing a tropical cyclone in this area as well. This cyclone (Beta?) probably won't be a threat to the US given its location, but it could be a prolific rainfall producer for central America. Any know of other cyclones that have developed in this area in the past?

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/gfstc2.cgi?...sure&hour=060hr

Back