07/08/04 NOW: Central Plains

Larry J. Kosch

NWS has issued a SWW for Western NE and SD for this afternoon/evening. And storms have been breaking out in WY, CO, SD and moving into NE. Other storm activities include that massive storm system sitting on the four state corner of KS, MO, AR, and OK all morning and afternoon long. Post your storm discussions here. Any chance of those western storms coming east?? 8)

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHEYENNE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
CENTRAL DAWES COUNTY IN THE PANHANDLE OF NEBRASKA
THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF CHADRON

* UNTIL 430 PM MDT

* AT 350 PM MDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 6 MILES SOUTH OF CHADRON AIRPORT...OR ABOUT 9 MILES SOUTHWEST OF CHADRON...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH. A BRIEF TORNADO WAS REPORTED AT 355 PM NEAR TOADSTOOL PARK NORTH OF CRAWFORD.

Doesn't sound like anyone was interested in going after this storm - but it seems to be holding its own.

Glen

Sitting here airmcharing, just got a call from Doug K. near Mission SD. The cell near Rushville (the Chadron storm) still looks great, with a deep notch and strong couplet. But it is heading into Cherry County, the huge county with something like, what, one road in it??!! Boundary visible on radar is racing right at the convection, will be interesting to see what happens when the two meet in Cherry County. Tough chase as there are no east options if one tries to intercept in that area, and the storm may not be out of no-man's land until dusk. Doug is heading that way now.

Tornado touchdown in downtown Grand Prairie, AB this afternoon according to 650NTR Radio in Saskatoon...

Details are sketchy at this point but here's what Environment Canada is saying:

"Grande Prairie-Beaverlodge-Valleyview
3:45 PM MDT Thursday 8 July 2004

Tornado watch for
Grande Prairie-Beaverlodge-Valleyview issued
Conditions are favourable for the development of funnel clouds or
weak tornadoes. These types of funnel clouds form out of large
cumulus clouds or very weak thunderstorms and normally do not have
the energy to reach the ground. However one or two of these funnels
may briefly touch down and can become destructive over a very small
area. Treat all funnel clouds and tornadoes seriously and avoid when
possible. Should one develop overhead take shelter until it
dissipates. Remember these funnel clouds will normally appear with
little or no warning.

Environment Canada continues to monitor the situation closely. Please
continue to monitor your local media or weatheradio for further
updates.

Should you spot a funnel cloud or tornado...And only if it is safe to
Do so...You can call 1-800-239-0484 to report your sighting. Please
note this phone number is for reporting severe weather only.

A funnel cloud possibly touching the ground has been reported in the grand Prairie area. The funnel has since dissipated. Further funnel cloud are possible this afternoon. "

Nebraska Severe Weather Highlights: through 220 am CDT
68 mph winds in Adams County
70 mph winds in Fillmore, Gosper, Grant, Kearney, Polk, Sheridan Counties
90 mph winds in Merrick County
2.00 inch hail in Dawes County
3.00 inch hail in Custer County
Softball size hail in Sheridan County
Tornado in Dawes County at 345 pm MDT
Tornado in Dawson County at 1058 pm CDT

Kansas Severe Weather Highlights
68 mph winds in Smith County
69 mph winds in Norton County
70 mph winds in Mitchell, Ottawa Counties
Tornado in Phillips County at 1230 am CDT

Ooops, well they did correct it.
http://kamala.cod.edu/svr/0407082347.KCYS.wfus55.html
http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KCYS/0407082348.wwus55.html

Latest soundings are out:
Dodge City North Platte Omaha Rapid City Topekal

Mike

On the SPC LSRs tonight.

Wind report:
578MPH NOWATA NOWATA OK (TUL)

Handheld or vehicle mounted? He landed here in West Virginia just now, I'll ask him.

TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HASTINGS NE
1058 PM CDT THU JUL 8 2004

* AT 1056 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO. THIS
TORNADO WAS LOCATED 3 MILES WEST OF SUMNER...OR ABOUT 16 MILES
NORTHEAST OF LEXINGTON...AND MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

Anyone paying attention to the bow in Nebraska

Well it's midnight and I decided to post my first time so here it goes so bear with me. Anyone paying attention to the bow in Nebraska sounds like a classic derecho maybe in the works..at 11:56 p.m Hastings weather service issued yet another severe thunderstorm warning primarily for winds over 60 m.ph. with gusts near 70 m.ph. It sounds like there is widespread wind damage in Phelps and Furnas counties. I thought this bow was suppose to turn southeast toward the NE/KS borders but it sure looks like it's developing toward the northeast and moving east about 35 m.p.h. It might get interesting in York, Lincoln, and Omaha in the next hour or two.. Heads up on this one :shock:

Re: Anyone paying attention to the bow in Nebraska

Well it's midnight and I decided to post my first time so here it goes so bear with me. Anyone paying attention to the bow in Nebraska sounds like a classic derecho maybe in the works..at 11:56 p.m Hastings weather service issued yet another severe thunderstorm warning primarily for winds over 60 m.ph. with gusts near 70 m.ph. It sounds like there is widespread wind damage in Phelps and Furnas counties. I thought this bow was suppose to turn southeast toward the NE/KS borders but it sure looks like it's developing toward the northeast and moving east about 35 m.p.h. It might get interesting in York, Lincoln, and Omaha in the next hour or two.. Heads up on this one :shock:
Hey Randy!! Great to see you here. Like you, I am paying attention and waiting for its arrival.

classic derecho??

Good Morn...

Well it's 4 a.m. in Lincoln NE and that "classic derecho" that was supposed to be slamming into us was more like a wet dripping pussycat walking thru our neighborhood.

I looked at Hastings NWS radar at about 2:15 this morning and I saw what happened to the derecho. The northern segment had broken off of the bowline and had moved to the northeast. While the rest of the bow echo moved off to the southeast into KS.

Still there were numerous reports of winds of 60-70 mph with wind damage streching from Chadron NE to Concordia KS. I counted 25 hail reports and 63 wind damage reports for NE/KS in the SPC storm reports. Only three tornadoes were reported. The major metro cities (Lincoln, Omaha) were spared of the wind damage that would have wrecked havoc with our beautiful trees). Remember the last derecho that came thru, Mel??

It's good to get some more rain as there's 90's temps in the forecast.

Happy Friday! 8)

Back