07/05/04 FCST: Central Plains

Larry J. Kosch

Starting a FCST thread as a SLIGHT risk for storms in the Central Plains have been forecast by SPC. Severe weather moved thru NE and KS overnight and SWWs have been issued this early a.m. for IA and MS. Could be some good outflow boundaries left over that can interact with the daytime heating to set up today's storms. Place your forecast discussion here. Hope your Fourth was a good one!! 8)

Weather in NE

Currently we are getting light rain showers in Lincoln NE. The rain band associated with the low pressure system is finally moving out of our area.

The NWS is currently having a MSC discussion about severe thunderstorm potential in Western NE and Northeastern CO.

AREAS AFFECTED WRN NEB, NERN CO NWRN KS CONCERNING SEVERE THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL VALID 051740Z - 051945Z

THUNDERSTORMS WILL DEVELOP OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS WITH
DAMAGING WIND GUSTS POSSIBLE. VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS CUMULUS DEVELOPING FROM SWRN SD INTO SERN WY AS WELL AS N CENTRAL CO AHEAD OF STRONG UPPER SHORTWAVE.

Currently, NWS is not considering a SWW at this time. 8)

Someone should start one for Thursday as well. Thursday could be a hum-dinger! Looking potent for the Dakotas and Minnesota. Someone should grant a few of us rights to post new topics in here that actually post. I asked a couple times but never got a reply to my e-mail and still can't post....soooo, here I am.

I'm not looking forward to anything today. Cloudy as all hell and CAPE still looks like crap. Hopefully things will improve this week.

I'm also hoping I'm proved wrong about today and it ownz my ass.

Stuart,Casey,and menlo fire dept's just called by KDMX for reported landspouts moving N NE. :) them dept's are 50 miles west of des moines on I-80

SWW for Western NE

NWS has issued a SWW (again? :shock: ) for Western NE:

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
220 PM CDT MON JUL 5 2004

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

NORTHEAST COLORADO, NORTHWEST KANSAS, SOUTHWEST NEBRASKA

EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 220 PM UNTIL 800 PM CDT. HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER, THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 80 MPH, AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

I have some farmland out in Kimball County in Western NE. It can use the rain, but not the hail. :shock:

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
Someone should start one for Thursday as well. Thursday could be a hum-dinger! Looking potent for the Dakotas and Minnesota. Someone should grant a few of us rights to post new topics in here that actually post. I asked a couple times but never got a reply to my e-mail and still can't post....soooo, here I am.
I'll bring this up to Tim.. I agree with you and we'll get you access so you can start a Thursday thread.

EDIT: You should be good to go Mike

Back