06/19/09 DISC: MI

Looking back at the data, it's apparent that if you were very observant, it would have been possible to suspect a tornado was occurring.

I tend to disagree, and can't fault GRR for not noticing it or issuing a timely warning. Maybe in the future when we've got phased array it will be possible. Until then, they get one scan every ~5 or so minutes. Do you want them to start issuing warnings everytime red touches green on a velocity scan? I already think the FAR is way too high, some WFO's more than others. GRR Typically does a good job, especially given the extra dynamic of the lake.

I tend to disagree, and can't fault GRR for not noticing it or issuing a timely warning. Maybe in the future when we've got phased array it will be possible. Until then, they get one scan every ~5 or so minutes. Do you want them to start issuing warnings everytime red touches green on a velocity scan? I already think the FAR is way too high, some WFO's more than others. GRR Typically does a good job, especially given the extra dynamic of the lake.

I personally think they did a poor job in this situation. Missing 3 decent tornadoes relatively close to the radar site is a fairly major screw-up, IMHO. It was almost pure luck that these tornadoes didn't do a lot more damage or cause serious injuries considering the population densities not that far away and the tornadoes wind speeds. I watched the whole thing on GR3 as it unfolded..and I was surprised no tornado warning was issued. I suspect they may have felt that the convection was elevated. By Michigan standards, it was a very dynamic situation..and as one poster already pointed out..the STP was quite high suggesting that being a bit trigger happy with warnings would have made sense. I have seen GRR issue tornado warnings for storms that had a lot less going for them than what was going on that night!

Back