06/12/05 REPORTS: TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good day overall.. Intercepted 2 weak tornadoes around Dickens, and possibly a third just southwest of Aspermont. Missed the big show down in Kent County, but Im happy with what I saw...beggers cant be choosers. Ran into a lot of chasers today and met a bunch for the first time. Including Brandon Clement, Charles Edwards, David Drummond, Dave Lewison, and Scott McPartland. It was great getting to meet everyone, I don't really talk too much out chasing so it was nice to be able to open up and chat a bit. Anyways, here are a few pics from the chase...more will be up shortly along with a full chase account on the stormphoto.net

61205structure.jpg

61205meso.jpg

61205tor1c.jpg

61205tor1.jpg

scotttor.jpg

What a disappointing day. We drove nearly 1200 miles for mostly blue sky. We saw an "interesting" LP updraft with good inflow just east of Brice on the way to Memphis but it moved into the bad air to the north and east of I40. It was 6pm at this time and too late to drive another 200 miles just to turn around and drive back to LA that night.

Some lessons learned:
1) Make a map depicting free wifi locations within spatial extent of probable chase area AHEAD of time
2) If you have already driven 800 miles for a one day chase, driving another 150 miles in a direction opposite your home to reach better atmospheric conditions IS worth it
3) Trust the RUC more
4) Dont second guess your target area based on conditions at 9am in mid-June
5) When sleeping in a car when storms are expected, roll up the windows before bed!

Hopefully I can squeeze one more chase, preferably on the high plains nearest me, before mid-July.

Add myself to the list of missing Kent County. Can't complain , I always enjoyed the Texas panhandle and now I can add this part of Texas to my favorite driving areas.(could use more back roads)

I made it to the Dickens County storm , only if I had went west sooner when I barely caught a gurgled wx. statement about the dryline setting just east of Plainview. Diffenatly need a stronger scanner antenna.

Not much to really show but did get one weak and shortlived tornado after that it was basically enjoyment of a storm before I made a slight effort to make it to the southern storm. After making it to Aspermont I decided to head back home. Had not planned on going this far south and the maps I loaded on the HH gps stopped by the time I had made it to Paducah so it was paper maps most of the time.

06120502.jpg
looking west from hwy183

6122005623pm0003.jpg

img8742.jpg

img8774.jpg

more here http://www.stormdriven.com/061205nwtexaspics.html

Great chase with wonderful photo ops, although we missed the first tornadoes near Spur. We arrived in Jayton just in time for the nice elephant trunk, which is the only one I caught on film as I was running the video camera. We dropped south out of Hamlin for some structure shots as the storm became outflow dominant.

jayton2.jpg

Jayton elephant trunk

hamlin2.jpg

hamlin3.jpg

Abandoned house south of Hamlin

Began in OKC, targeting the boundary near Childress. I didn't have much time to look at data in the A.M., so Vince Miller filled me in on the details via his home dial-up connection. Chase partnerless, Brian Morganti, Bill Reid, and I departed west on I-40 shortly around noon in separate vehicles. Made our way through convection near Shamrock before dropping S on HW83. The most intense shocker of the day was the shift in surface T/Td N and S of the boundary. Brain measured a 20 degree temperature increase (from 72 near Quail to 92 N of Childress). Wow! Brian's Threat net was showing convection going up along the dryline E of Lubbock. Pulled in sporadic wx. radio and data near Childress before deciding to commit southward. TOR warning went up for the Crosby/Dickens Co. region as per reports on AM/FM radio. Thus, we cut south on HW83 as quickly as possible.

Matt Crowther phoned to report a large tornado with the southern Dickens Co. storm, which quickly upped the ante to get south. Somewhere between 5:50-6:00pm CT; Bill, Brian, and I became separated and lost radio contact. I was now reliant on AM/FM radio, poor wx. radio coverage, and visual/gut instinct. Made my way to HW380 and headed towards Jayton. Zigzagged on local roads through town, making my way to the W/NW horizon. A large, low-contrast tornado (from my view) was apparent to my NW, coupled with great structure at 6:38pm CT. Finally tripoded W of Jayton at 6:44pm CT, with the meso just 7 miles to my NW. Frequent CG's made for some concern, but no more so than in typical observing situations. The first tornado observed (for me) was apparent to my NW in rain at 6:47pm CT. It appeared to have a large bowl shape to it, yet quickly lost visual on it a minute later.

At 6:52pm CT; I was focused on the new area of rotation just to my SW, when a large tornado emerged from the rain to my NW. Ping-pong ball size hail started falling; thus I retreated briefly to my hatchback, obtained my orthopedic back pillow, and resumed tripoded video with the pillow now on my head. Must have provided a good laugh for chasers passing by my location (only saw one other chaser at this time). Pity I have no video of myself at this point. The tornado translated into a beautiful elongated elephant-trunk rope lasting from 6:52-6:59pm CT. Shot slides of the entire event, before retreating back east towards Jayton; orthopedic back pillow now removed.

I headed back through Jayton, skirting south of the hail core N of Peacock on FM 2211. Thank you Roads of Texas! Made my way to Aspermont, topped off my tank (the rapid-scan DOW pulled in next to me at this time to do the same), and proceeded S on 83 towards Hamlin. Made my way W on HW92, tripoding again for the wondrous structure before me. Roger Hill parked in my foreground shot, thus my standard Hill-mimicry ensued, hoping it would trigger additional tornadoes. Ran into friends Tony Laubach and Chris Nuttall (whom I last chased with on 29-May-2004), and headed back E for some Allsups. Milked the storm structure, anvil crawlers, and dust plumes along HW83 NW of Anson before Tony and I headed to dinner in Abilene. Nearly missed hitting large chunks of a cow, which was obliterated on HW83 NW of ABL. Yikes! Met up with Jim L, Mike U, Jay A, and Matt C for dinner at the Skillet, ogling over each others tornado video like kids in a candy store. Ran into Al P. there as well, before I departed northward to OUN.

This was a wonderful conclusion to my chase-cation in the Plains. Made it back to Norman around 3am; following nearly hitting a cop and fleeing suspect running directly at me in the dark on I-44 NW of SPS. Now back in Kalamazoo (as per Tuesday at 2am ET). Finally catching up on sleep and summaries. Time to develop the seven rolls of slides!

..Blake..

I have posted a completed full log of the June 12 chase with photos and video captures here:

http://stormhighway.com/june122005.php

13d5832197edc94681183b04ee0208a0.jpg 82eb7f66cf45b5be1ac8965936e1d68c.jpg 472500acad2126f16b06ca3571c5cdf0.jpg 339a3b9c319fe41c4901cf3a0964698a.jpg 7d8d65bf861daaaa0d735842e09dc17d.jpg

After reviewing video, the tornado tally for the day is 6, possibly 7.

(Previous TA post deleted)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back