06/12/05 FCST: Plains

Glen Romine Wrote: " had felt this way earlier - but that was before I thought it would end up as strong as it is and as far west as it has moved. If you follow the trends in the low level jet strength over the progressive model runs - there has been a substatial hit that has eveolved owing to the loss of pressure/height gradient west of Arlene. Combined with other unfavorable trends in forecast evolution, this is a brutal hit for significant tornado potential with the OK/KS system if the NAM forecast evolution is going to be realized. So, you a) hope the solution is bad -or- B) plan to chase HP weakly tornadic supercells. Maybe this morning's runs will start to rebound and give a more optimistic outlook."

Upon looking at the latest model runs...I've decided to keep my mouth shut and will wait and see what evolves tomorrow. The MCS that is expected to affect the region tonight may have an adverse outcome on what develops tomorrow afternoon. However, I am keeping a close eye on Eastern KS and Western MO for the overnight hours tomorrow. It appears that a rather significant nocturnal severe event could affect the region at that time. Concerning Glen's earlier comment about the tropical system... I have noticed a slightly westward shift in the track as it made landfall. It appears now that the remnants will eventually affect the upper midwest, say around Illinois and Indiana. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesnt shift any further west than it already has, or we could say bye bye to the tornado potential tomorrow.

after spending the afternoon in Dodge all I can say is this moisture trap had better clear out soon or initiation will suffer a quick death tomorrow...the incoming cells today fizzled over and over as with yesterday

spending the night in clayton new mexico. clayton has awesome free wireless at the chamber of commerce building on the main drag (us87) if anyone is passing thru.

we will re-evaluate tomorrow morning and let nighttime features settle where they may. if all looks well....thinking of heading to guymon around 12noon. otherwise, we'll be heading to capulin volcano for an afternoon of hiking!

intense convection is surrounding us right now.....we were going to camp :lol:

Back