06/12/04 REPORTS: NE, KS, IA, MO, TX, KY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Brian Brubaker
And I want to personally thank all you guys and gals in that group for allowing us to join your chase.

I won't add anything to Bob and Shane's reports, except to say that last night was our first tornado experience, for which my wife and I are very appreciative. Thanks again Chad and others!

Most of all, it was good to hear that the people who's home was destroyed SE of Mulvane were on vacation and their teenage daughters were not home at the time.

I think it's great you got to see such an awesome tornado for your first one! Too bad it had to do damage but it certainly was visually stunning with the sun shining in on it and the sparkling of the sheet metal flying around. Amazing!

Good grief - all of you did awesome. Someone congratulate Eric N. for me when they see him ... those are some of the most beautiful photos ever. Someone else I saw had a photo of the rainbow in the shot with the tornado ... it's almost like it stopped and posed for everyone when the composition was maxxed out. The composition combined with the lighting and contrast on that tube looks surreal. Unbelievable -

0cf75c5263161eb4f0490aaabbc4983f.jpg
Mulvane, KS tornado

My slides have been developed and are now included with the vid caps on my preliminary WX Photos page for June 12:

http://www.onthefront.ws/jun1204.htm

Also, I've posted a small vid clip (313k) of gorilla hail shattering my driver's side sliding door window on my '02 Dodge Caravan while the Mulvane tornado was developing.

http://www.onthefront.ws/images/612hail.wmv
Warning: This clip does include a rather harsh expletive

Jason Politte
Conway, AR

I just posted 9 new video clips from this past chase trip, including all tornado and lightning footage from Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and Missouri from June 10-12. The videos can be viewed here:

http://wvlightning.com/video.html

The 9 new clips are the first three rows of thumbnails. You'll need at least RealPlayer version 8 or RealOne Player to view these clips.

35mm slides are being scanned at the moment, and will be online this weekend when I have time to put together full reports for these past chase days.

Enjoy!

What a year!!!

Dan

Did anyone notice at about the 1:00 mark of the debris footage that there appears to be a piece of sheet metal or something really shiny waaaaaaaay up there? It's at the left side of the screen, maybe just at the edge of the debris cloud.

Really high up.

Wow those images and videos are just spectacular. I definately would have loved to have been there to experience it - I bet the video and pictures don't do justice! Congrats on all your catches, everyone. And thank you for sharing them with us!

Lightning & Thunder

I was quite interested in seeing the lightning and hearing the thunder in the second Mulvane tornado sequence by David Drummond. I counted the time interval after the first lightning strike and I counted up to five. This indicated the lightning strike was about a mile away. :shock:

What was really interesting was what happened when the tornado roped out and before the dust cloud blew up. There was a brief lightning flash almost right where the funnel was just a few seconds before. I kinda wondered if the air expansion from the lightning (thunder) caused the core of the tornado to expand and caused the dust cloud to blow up like that??

Any comments on that?? 8) LJK.

Re: Lightning & Thunder

Originally posted by Larry J. Kosch
What was really interesting was what happened when the tornado roped out and before the dust cloud blew up. There was a brief lightning flash almost right where the funnel was just a few seconds before. I kinda wondered if the air expansion from the lightning (thunder) caused the core of the tornado to expand and caused the dust cloud to blow up like that??

Any comments on that?? 8) LJK.

I think it might have just been the vortex collapsing as it hit the dirt field (which we were able to locate on the other side of the pond it crossed). On thing is for sure, the lightning during the first two tornadoes near Mulvane was unworldly! It sounded like a war out there and really heightened the experience. I sat down as low as I could get in the ditch to video the tornado considering my experience at the end of April! I should have gotten in the vehicle but there was not way I was missing shooting that tornado til it was done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back