06/12/04 NOW: NE, KS, MO

Rotating wall cloud 10 miles north of Joplin. Should be near Jasper, MO around 5:20. Hook has begun to diminish a bit on radar.

Some cells popped up here in Crawford Co. Kansas, decided to sit out in the county and watch the storms as they passed by - didn't go on a chase today because I'm still not ready for another long drive after driving to S. Dakota and back this past week - and saw a couple of weak rotations but mainly lots of reports of golf ball size hail. Of course, not wanting to get within the golf ball size hail I stayed to the west - southwest of the storm and ran into dime size hail.

Something that happened today that I frowned upon... a group of chasers from a local radio station was in the same vacinity as me - in fact they were on the same road just south of me a few ways. They had the disadvantage of trees where as I - further north of them - had a clear shot in all directions of the storm. There were a few low hanging clouds off to my west and southwest but nothing tornadic and they - the radio storm spotters - reported it as a TORNADO! on the ground!

A law enforcement officer went to their location as well as me and there was nothing that would of even came close as being tornadic.. no wall clouds or nothing.. just some low clouds beyond the tree's but nothing tornadic. Anyways, just another reason why spotters must be careful of what they reports... fortunately the NWS didn't issue a tornado warning on this otherwise it'd been a false warning.

Steve Miller (TX) is currently looking into the notch of the RITOR supercell to the southeast of Wichita, Kansas. He reports rapid rotation around a sculpted updraft base with vigorous rising motion and condensation forming. He reported the storm looks ready to drop a tornado.

Congrats to Steve and all those currently chasing.... wish I was out there.

Steve Miller reports a tornado on the ground right now approximately four miles south of Rose Hill, Kansas in Butler County. He reports that this is the second tornado the storm has produced in the last thirty minutes.

Hearing reports on the scanner that house leveled near Mulvane & also mobile homes damaged somewhere near there I'm guessing no location was given on that report... Hopefully everyone is ok & good luck to all those chasing today...

EDIT: Also, heard on the scanner that k-15 east of mulvane to the Cowley County line will be shut down. And on KAKE TV the lady whos home was damaged due to the twister near Mulvane was not injuried; she made it to her cellar. More good news was her dog did not make it to the cellar, but was thankfully not hurt.

Butler County tornado reports from the Local Storm Reports: (1)
728 PM 3 SSW Douglass

Cowley County tornado reports from the Local Storm Reports: (6)
749 PM 3 ENE Udall
829 PM 15 W Atlanta
831 PM 11 NW Winfield
855 PM 1 S Atlanta
902 PM 1 E Atlanta
912 PM 4 SSW Atlanta

Sedgewick County tornado reports from the Local Storm Reports: (4)
634 PM 3 S haysville
713 PM 1 E Mulvane
728 PM Mulvane
732 PM 4 E Mulvane

Sumner County tornado reports from the Local Storm Reports: (3)
712 PM 2 SW Mulvane
712 PM 2 W Mulvane
728 PM 1 ESE Mulvane

For Mulvane, 3 mobile homes damaged, power lines down
and most of the city of Mulvane is without power

Mike

A new Tor Watch has just been posted for extreme SE KS until 11 PM CST. I'm in the watch area, Crawford Co. KS and if the storm stays on path will hit my town... unfortunately I'm going out with a few friends tonight so won't be able to be out and about to observe the storm.

A second-hand (left I believe) report......

Storm chasers Shane Adams, Graham Butler, and David Drummond report seeing at least 5 tornadoes on the tornadic supercell storm that traversed across south central Kansas this afternoon/evening just south of the Wichita, Kansas area. Their chase included viewing a tornado(s) from birth through roping-out stage in addition to a tornado that did significant structural damage to a building. Graham estimates that the damage could be rated somewhere in the F2 to F3 range. One of the tornadoes also went from being highly visible to being completely rain-wrapped, to becoming visible again, producing some of the prettiest visual effects that they had ever seen with a tornado.

Shane will have a complete chase account up much later this evening/early morning, Graham will post some digital pictures asap, and David will post links to video when they get to a location where they can upload the information. Congratulations to you three amigos on your excellent storm intercept today---drive home safely.

Tom Tackett

Originally posted by Tom Tackett

David Drummond

David, if you stayed in this area for tomorrow's event, could you call or drop me a line? I'd like to do the interview we talked about while you're around, if you have the time before initiation or post-event tomorrow.

Scott Roberts

Originally posted by Scott Roberts+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scott Roberts)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Tom Tackett

David Drummond

David, if you stayed in this area for tomorrow's event, could you call or drop me a line? I'd like to do the interview we talked about while you're around, if you have the time before initiation or post-event tomorrow.

Scott Roberts[/b]

Might be able to do that Scott, we are staying the night again here to chase Sunday. Too tired to even post pics today. An incredible day and we are all exhausted. What a storm!

Well looking @ radar before bed looks like this line of storms along line of Sedgwick & Harvey Counties is going to produce some flooding problems as it has pretty much become stationary. Here is ICT we just had a pretty nice outflow gust of wind come through as well (I would estimate 40-45 mph winds). Also, there is a pretty good lightning show up to the north as well. Lastly, just saw SPC has us in another moderate risk tomorrow so good luck to all those chasing tomorrow.

Back