06/12/04 NOW: NE, KS, MO

Larry J. Kosch

The NWS is holding a MSC discussion about severe storm threats in the NE, KS and MO area. A number of storms have fired up in the Northern KS area and have moved into NE. Ongoing storms in Eastern KS will be moving on to MO. Post your storm discussions here. 8) LJK.

Looks like an early show...I hope people who want to chase that area are already closing in on their targets. Hail to 4" in diameter mentioned in the watch...yowza! I notice band of 500-700 J/kg CAPE in the -20C to -40C layer (hail growth region). I wouldn't core punch blindly today.

Severe Weather in NE

Severe storms are breaking out in my neighborhood. :shock: There's a warning for two counties right next to Lincoln, NE. Just got back inside with good storm front footage. Will have to shut down for now due to lightning threat...bye. 8)

Re: 06/12/04 NOW: Central-Southern Plains and Ohio Valley

Originally posted by Kevin Scharfenberg
Tornado with damage and possible injuries reported in Hardinsburg, KY (SW of Louisville).

http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KSDF/0406121702.nwus53.html

That's pretty much the same place the Brandenburg F5 first touched down back on Apr 3, 1974. Let us hope the injuries are minor and the damage light this time around.

1255 AM TORNADO PEONIA 37.42N 86.22W
06/12/2004 GRAYSON KY LAW ENFORCEMENT

BRIEF TOUCHDOWN OF POSSIBLE TORNADO IN FIELD NEAR PEONIA.

Does not look good for Iowa reading the latest mesoscale discussion from the SPC...

CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR A POSSIBLE LARGE...DAMAGING TORNADO AS ACTIVITY MOVES INTO SWRN IA.
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1215.html

On other note still waiting for things to develop in S-C Kansas before I head out. Currently in Wichita still mostly cloudy skies, but the sun has came out several times lately.

SPC just issued another mesoscale discussion this time for S-C KS & Central OK http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1217.html

Activity looks like it has organized into a large bow echo complex...Probably some widespread wind damage occuring...

Think the threat for a damaging tornado has diminished in southwest IA from this batch of storms, I could still imagine a weak comma-head tornado developing though...

Robert

A very large tornado watch box is being issued from central KS into west TX, including hail to 4" diameter.

New developments in NE

Even though the main group of storms have crossed the Missouri over into Iowa, SE Nebraska is still not out of the woods yet. A new line of storms have back-formed from Omaha towards Columbus. And a independent group of storms have popped up in Saline and Filmore counties. That would place the storms SE of York and S of I-80.

Am doing some NOW casting for a storm chaser by the name of Rich Johnson from this area. He is currently heading down I-80 and will be turning south on HWY 15 by Seward. Hopefully he will intercept the storms in the Dorchester-Friend area.

At last count, 16 counties in NE had severe thunderstorm warnings and three tornadoes have been reported so far.

Got some great cloud pictures of the main storm group as it passed thru Lincoln, NE. Will post those for REPORTS later. Back to my Now Casting... 8) LJK.

Back