05/12/05 TALK: Southern/Central Plains/Caprock

TOP NWS had spotters out briefly in Shawnee Co. but most of the storm threat petered out before it hit the SN CO line. Watched an impressive shelf pass over town on the way home to Osage City.

On the way home they issued a SVR WARN for N. OS CO and SE SN for 70mph straight line winds. Not too far off from the damage I saw North of Burlingame.

One day the weather gods are going to allow me to go on a real chase, as in further than 20 miles from home :x

Jon Holder

TOP NWS had spotters out briefly in Shawnee Co. but most of the storm threat petered out before it hit the SN CO line. Watched an impressive shelf pass over town on the way home to Osage City.

On the way home they issued a SVR WARN for N. OS CO and SE SN for 70mph straight line winds. Not too far off from the damage I saw North of Burlingame.

One day the weather gods are going to allow me to go on a real chase, as in further than 20 miles from home :x

Jon Holder

Gorilla hail and tornado

I just talked with Scott Macpartland who was chasing with Dave Lewison and Chris Kridler. They bagged a nice tube near ?Plainview, Texas. Then they encountered gorilla-sized Jim Leonard hail that trashed their vehicles including Scott's with the hail guards. Luckily, no injuries but their chase is over. They are limping into a nearby town with broken windshields etc.

Edit: Charles Edwards of Cloud 9 Tours called and they were in the same group. He says they got the "best tornado video ever"

Congratulations to those guys and I'm glad no one was injured. Please save some tornadoes for me when I fly out.

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com

marcus and i are sitting back in shawnee county watching some great CG lightning at Amerisuites off I70. Looks like a police convention is going on here. gr level 3 showing storms slowly fizzling out, with small hail to west up to an inch. Tom-We were JUST north of carbondale, when straight-line winds shot out tree limbs all along 75 highway. Hope some chasers were on those texas storms. (undoubtedly) will post chase report later ....

That cell in Crosby County just NW of Crosbyton has an insane hook!. DBZ between 65 and 70!! Moving NE at about 20 mph.

Gawd! TWC has this footage on now and it's amazing, rivalling Marshall's 5/3/99.

I just got home & started watching the radar loop from LBB. Is this a split storm here? B/c they're very close together and the lefty looks pretty strong too, perhaps more so at the moment (the eastern/right storm has lost its massive hook). The radar loop has some bad frames so I can't tell from that whether or not these storms formed via split. Anyone know?

Geez, the outflow boundary movement W of LBB is also crazy. Looks like 5 intersecting!

Wow.

Congrats to those who got some action. I would have loved to been out there, but was unable to cause I had to go to the doctor to find out I have high blood pressure. Yikes.

Back