Your three wishes?

Reality...

1) Get 10+ chases in this year regardless of outcome.
2) Get at least one chase in each of ND, SD, MN, IA, and possibly WI.
3) Meet some new people.

Non-reality...
1) See an F5 (which is something you don't wish for but have no control over the power of nature)
2) See a tornado with lots of debris (again, that debris is somebody's house so no wish, but if it happens, I want to see it)
3) Get a 10+ tornado day (still kicking myself for screwing up 5/29/04)

1: That any Tennessee Valley supercells would occur while I'm actually IN the Tennessee Valley instead of seeing them on TWC from a motel in Daytona Beach.

2: That the next time I drive under a wall cloud in the middle of the night I know what I'm doing (Hurricane Danny, North Augusta, SC, July 23, 1997).

3: That I get to run into David Hoadley again and thank him for starting this fantastic communication.

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

Justin...I'm not so sure you really want to chase in Wisconsin! Trust me.

I guess many of us have the same dream... no surprise :)

For me:

1. To see a large, long-track, high contrast, dusty wedge (with no trees, hills or buildings in the way) fairly close but not in the rain or debris and successfully capture steady video, wide angle shots and zoom photographs with slide film and the digital SLR (doesn't need to be F-5, just a wedge).

2. To enjoy time on the road with Peggy, other chasers, and locals in small towns along the way.

3. To see what new, exciting beauty will surprise me in the stormy sky. Something I could never have imagined and may never see again. I'm reminded now of Chris Gullikson's incredible Supercell structure shot with stars, lightning and a tornado at dusk (Red Cloud, NE 6-10-04). I also think of a tornado I saw on storm stories once in the middle of nowhere (shame on me for not remembering where, I think it was Jeff Piotrowski's footage). The large, powerful tornado was very white (due to sun angle of course) with dark brown/black swirls from the very dark soil in the area. Incredible.

...and of course to see my severe weather forecasts verify as close as possible to 100% of the time :D

Mel

oooh, wishes, I like those

1) That the week or so I get to go chasing is a good week, not the sort where you have to choose between unappealing and downright bad options.

2) That this March, another strong Pac low allows me to bag a tornado here in AZ with a saguaro in the image. Hey, it's called a wish, innit?

3) That there are no vehicle issues. simple!

Originally posted by Justin Turcotte
Justin...I'm not so sure you really want to chase in Wisconsin! Trust me.

Who could resist a big "cheese" wedge?!

Ellsworth, WI. The best cheese curds on the planet.

:D :D :lol: Muahahaha! You cannot resist the lure of cheese!

My goals are pretty straightforward since I'm a newbie, but...

-Get on a genuine storm chase

-Start making my own forecasts and seeing how they verify, if not, why not?, etc. Even on days when I don't chase I can forecast my virtual target area and see what happens.

-See some rotation. Doesn't have to be a wedge, just a nice cranking wall cloud like I saw (and am still kicking myself for not photographing) on June 6, 1999.

three wishes:
1. that a family member back home could have some interest in relaying radar images to me by phone if my data stream goes dead
2. that my base station will have a stream near it for fishing when Im not chasing
3. that my base station (rv ) doesnt blow away since tors are attracted to mobile homes (and probably rvs)

ps is anyone available to help on #1 - regarding phone data contact? Id happily pay a reasonable fee for a real time forecaster? anyone?

a. See more than 1 tornado this year.
b. See more than 1 tornado at the same time.
c. Stick to my target area. For real this time. I promise. :lol:

Bill, it may be worth the effort to try and convince your family members to help you out. Explain how it could benefit them e.g. pretty pictures, or try to give them some simple details of what you would expect. As long as it's not that complicated, I am sure they would be happy to comply. Unless they are completely unreasonable people like my family.

I think that mine are pretty simple...

1) Don't underestimate as many slight risk days
2) Get on atleast three Mike Hollingshead quality storms
3) See my first Texas tornado (Oh Wait, I already did that! :lol: )

1. Be the only chaser to see a 'crazy farmer' level tornado and watch as it twists its way through every phase and shape in front of an incredible sunset.

2. That no human loses a life in a tornado because there was little or no warning.

3. That Kansas and Nebraska continue to see more than their fair share.

1. That no hurricanes hit Florida (or at least the Big Bend) until I'm able to move out.

2. That that 135-acre mountain property in Colorado is still on the market when I'm able to afford it.

3. Er...can I have a raincheck? :p

Well, if we are dreaming here - may as well pick some good ones.

1) See an anti-cyclonic tornado (only about 1/500 by best guesses).

2) Actually get to set out a lawn chair while watching a tornado.

3) Get another night time backlit by lightning tornado picture.

Glen

Back