Your all-time FAVORITE tornado video

Question: I read the story on the page linked above, and it mentions a LEO on another storm whose car engine shut down "due to a sudden change in pressure." Has anyone ever heard of this happening in other cases?

I haven't heard of this happening before. I hope it doesn't happen to me if I get too close sometime!!

I haven't heard of this happening before. I hope it doesn't happen to me if I get too close sometime!!

I think you'd have to be awfully close to get a pressure drop significant enough to choke a police cruiser V-8. I can see water and dirt being blown into the intake and causing this, possibly.

Or perhaps some sheriffnadoes have a greater pressure drop than regular tornadoes?

More photos from March 13, 1990

I have found that this tornado is one of the most highly sought for images on the domain it is hosted on. After the Greensburg tornado of May 4, 2007; the city of Hesston held a city-wide garage sale and auction to benefit the people of Greensburg. With permission from all parties I am using as source material, I am building on to this site and story and more pictures. Note: The video is not available as it is not in the public domain and is currently property of National Geographic. Another, never before seen video will be used to capture still images from a mile closer to the tornado as it entered Hesston. Awaiting permission for that.

I will second the March 13, 1990, Hesston, KS tornado. I remember my Synoptic Meteorology II professor talking about it a couple of days after it occurred. An F5 doesn't happen very often in March as far as I can remember. I'm not sure if there are any videos of it on the net, but there is this pic from a state patrolman:

http://www.newtonarc.net/weather/hesston.html

Mark

I did find this on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgbzKF_pSXo

I have found that this tornado is one of the most highly sought for images on the domain it is hosted on. After the Greensburg tornado of May 4, 2007; the city of Hesston held a city-wide garage sale and auction to benefit the people of Greensburg. With permission from all parties I am using as source material, I am building on to this site and story and more pictures. Note: The video is not available as it is not in the public domain and is currently property of National Geographic. Another, never before seen video will be used to capture still images from a mile closer to the tornado as it entered Hesston. Awaiting permission for that.

Keep us/me posted of any progress you make on this project. I absolutely love anything related to the Hesston tornado of 1990. PM me if you have any details you think I might be interested in.:)

Mark

There are several, but the one that's ever had the most impact for me:

The Massive Allison, TX tornado (6/8/95) as shot from Bobby Prentice and seen on the TVC series. Truly incredible video...

One of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Attica, Kansas tornado on May 12th, 2004 as shot by Scott McPartland. he was zoomed in on the house as the tornado rips the whole roof off and carries it away. My jaw dropped the first time I saw that one, which happened to be be that night as we met up after the storm to compare video.

Rock solid video, great audio and a rare look at the damage being done up close.

George Kourounis
Toronto
www.stormchaser.ca

Back