Your all-time FAVORITE tornado video

Yeah Darin that was pretty incredible video Jon shared....I'll put that one in my top 5. For an alleged F2 that tornado had some serious violence to it....and probably was a bit under-rated.

I like any of Tornadovideos.net's vids. Specifically the one from May 3rd, 1999 where they are under the overpass. Also like the one of the Andover tornado where a couple news people took shelter under an overpass. Oh! Who can forget the McConnell AFB video...I LOVE that one.:)

Earl Evans, Andover 91

I'd 2nd that right away. Definetly incredible motion, movement and debris with a great view, and within 3/4 of a mile. Also, its freaky knowing that your watching a beast heading for a poor lil ole town, more the less, the part of town containing the trailer park, well, plus a church and subdivisions.

I'd have to rank my favorites in this order:

1) Doswell's rope tornado tearing through Pampa, TX
2) Reed and Tim S's video of Manchester, SD
3) Reed's video of May 4th 2007 Arnett, OK
4) Tim S's video of the sunlit rope lifting the haybales in KS May 24?, 2004

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy Farmer - Columbus, Nebraska ... that video has it all ... great motions in the tornado, every phase (the rope is great), and the most spectacular narration you could ever hope to hear.

I would also know where I could that video in its entirety. I think I have seen bits and pieces of the footage and it is easily a top 3. The part where what look like 3 or 4 paralell vorticies are wrapped around the wedge is absolutely incredible.

Nicollet MN 08/24/06, video was shot by a guy named Craig Maire, truly awsome footage! LOL :D

Previous quote:

[Where is this video available? This is a new one for me..]

In regard to Carsten Peter's June 9, 2005 video near Hill City KS (Jon Davies was driving for Carsten that day)... Jon has a copy of it through Tim Samaras, but it is not for sale, duplication, or broadcast, as it is property of Nat Geo (who, for some reason, has never used it). Jon has shown it at a couple of chaser get-togethers, and maybe he can get permission to show it at the Denver Storm Chaser convention in February.

The reason the video is amazing was purely by accident. Jon and Carsten were following Tim's vehicle and another NG camera crew on a very dry dirt road trying to intercept the tornado for deployment. However, Tim saw that the tornado was closing in too fast and broke off the intercept. But Jon and Carsten could not see Tim and the NG car pull off on a side road due to all the dirt being kicked up by the two vehicles in front of them, so he and Carsten kept going and unintentionally nearly drove into the tornado. After the tornado passed, they were in a safe position to follow it a bit while it morphed into various shapes. Although the footage is exciting, it was a very close call for both of them, and certainly something Jon doesn't want to go through again.

My personal favorite tornado video is Jeff Piotrowski's May 3 footage in Moore OK and all of the various 1991 Andover footage.

Shawna Helt

Jon and Carstens video was great! I guess no one had mentioned my April 15th 2006.. It was kinda week compared to Jon and Carstens video or even Reeds on May 4th. i guess I need some luck and to get out in front of some of those storms next season ( 2008 ) so I can get me some more unforgettable footage.

Without question, my all-time fave is the Andover footage, with the exploding house/flying van footage from Elie drill bit coming in a close second.

They both send tingles up my spine!

John

Jon and Carstens video was great! I guess no one had mentioned my April 15th 2006.. It was kinda week compared to Jon and Carstens video or even Reeds on May 4th. i guess I need some luck and to get out in front of some of those storms next season ( 2008 ) so I can get me some more unforgettable footage.

Fred, as I was scrolling through this thread, I thought of your cool video and was mentally rating it against the posted material. FWIW, it's on my top 10 list! :D

Stemming over from the Andover thread, John Olexa mentioned the May, 1981 Cordell rope was his all time favorite tornado video. That sparked me to ask you all what your all time favorite tornado video is?

How funny. Before I even clicked I was thinking "the Cordell sideways rope from the 1980s". That is the alltime sweetest in my mind. I like it for two reasons...1. it is just wicked awesome looking tornado and 2. back then the cameras were more primitive, no Internet data, no cell phones, no gps... just map & scanner...so that is one respectable piece of footage to be sure.

Also--Tim Samaras' probe video from camera atop-just incredible, fantastic. Just mind-blowing footage...a whole different league of tornado video.

A funny one I like - drunk guy in Fritch TX gets hit by lightning while filming twister entering his yard and says "I've been struck", gets knocked to the ground, continues filming, when neighbor's house gets blown apart and part of his house goes too. Lives to tell.

I also like the Lazbuddie carousel. Six twisters all in a circle - you don't see that every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The May 15, 1991 Laverne, Oklahoma tornado from Jeff Piotrowski comes to mind right away. Great footage...especially of inflow going into that beast and theres definite sence of urgency when they realize that it was heading straight for Laverne. Pretty dramatic to say the least!

The June 22 Elie, Manitoba tornado and June 23, Pipestone, Manitoba tornado. There is lots of great footage of the Elie tornado on you tube, [kinda reminds me of the Mulvane tornado] and Reed Timmer's footage of the Pipestone wedge is incredible. That Pipestone supercell had the nicest wall cloud I have ever seen!

Back