Your all-time FAVORITE tornado video

Stemming over from the Andover thread, John Olexa mentioned the May, 1981 Cordell rope was his all time favorite tornado video. That sparked me to ask you all what your all time favorite tornado video is? Either shot yourself or through one of the many media sources we have. For me personally it has to be the Andover close up call or any of the May 3rd tornadoes. My favorite clip from May 3rd was probably the one where you see all the carnage and debris going on just on the otherside of I-35(the one with the horizontal vortex) It shows raw power from that beast and is a great reminder that no city is safe from a tornado and what can happen if a Maxi tornado were to hit a largely populated area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to say mine was the awesome farmer video from near Columbus NE back in June '98. Of course Jeff has plenty of wild and zany tornado video moments...and I still revisit our Brady NE tornado footage from May 17, 2000 often. To me that qualifies as Jeff and my best chase video of alltime. There is something about a good Nebraska tornado I guess. :rolleyes:

Kellerville, TX as shot by Tim Marshall and Gene Rhoden in June, 1995. What a majestic beast it was!!!!!! That would have to be my vision of the perfect tornado.

I would have to agree that video is pretty awesome, among the many other sweet videos you guys captured, some of the May 3rd footage is pretty intense, I could watch Terror In The Heartland over and over and never get sick of it.

Thanks Dustin! I was trying to remember the name to that video. That whole production is full of amazing shots and video. Some of the best tornado footage I have ever seen.

Dimmit, TX June 2, 1995
Bobby Prentice and David Gold - "we are within 0.25 mile...this definitely makes my all time chase highlight....it fills my entire viewfinder."

Last edited by a moderator:
Without really thinking too deeply about it, off the top of my head these are what come to mind:

- Neal Rasmussen - shot of the May 3 satellite rotating around the cylinder at Chickasha.
- Reed Timmer - Manitoba 2007
- Pampa 95 (Doswell)
- Just about anything from 6/24/03 in SD

Of the ones I've witnessed:

- Mulvane 6/12/04
- Kent County, TX cone/wedge with collar 6/12/05
- Rock, KS full life cycle 6/12/04

Jon Davies and Carsten Peters- June 9th, 2005, absolutely incredible video, not sure anything can ever top this... ever. I also enjoy Rick Schmidt's June 15, 1993?? NW KS gigantic supercell/tornado video. That thing looked nearly identical to June 9, 2005. 4/23/07 Protection Kansas, Scott Currens....saw some of it on Storms of 2007, incredible video.

Great thread!

Can't go with just one, so I'll go with:
  • Red Rock, OK tornado (4/26/91) as seen by Bobby Prentice and Gene Rhoden.
  • Red Rock, OK tornado (4/26/91) as seen by Howie Bluestein and Gary Shore.
  • Andover, KS (4/26/91) as seen by Earl Evans (as mentioned by SA).
  • Cyril, OK tornado (5/3/99) as seen by Val Castor.
  • Chickasha, OK tornado w/ satellite (5/3/99) as seen by Mark Dichman.
  • Bridge Creek, OK tornado (5/3/99) crossing I-44 as seen by Mark Dichman.
  • Manchester, SD tornado (6/24/03) from any angle.
  • Yankton, SD tornado (5/5/07) as seen by Bill Doms.
  • Manitoba tornado (6/07) as seen by Reed Timmer.

Crazy Farmer - Columbus, Nebraska ... that video has it all ... great motions in the tornado, every phase (the rope is great), and the most spectacular narration you could ever hope to hear. Manchester is another favorite. Oh yeah, Brian ... I've loved your Brady video from the first time I saw it. Spectacular!

I would have to say mine was the awesome farmer video from near Columbus NE back in June '98.

That is one of my favorites as well..the motion on it is INSANE!

Jon and Carsten's June 9, 2005 video is absolutely incredible though and I would say that has moved to the top of the list since I saw it a few weeks ago.

Manchester SD, June 24, 2003 as filmed by Tim Samaras from ghostly wedge to furious rope and a sky swarming with debris.

Back