XM Question...Ground Receiver and the AVIATION package

Beau, I think you are confusing a couple things here. Getting street level mapping has nothing to do with the XM weather service you receive. It only has to do with the hardware you purchase and the software that comes with it.

The monthly plan you subscribe to only deals with the weather data you receive (radar, shear, satellite, lightning). The monthly subscription services have nothing to do with GPS or street level mapping.

So even if you could purchase an aviation system and subscribe to the $99 ground monthly service you would NOT have street level mapping. As I posted earlier you ONLY get GPS and premium mapping with the mobile threat net ground hardware system.

Beau, I think you are confusing a couple things here. Getting street level mapping has nothing to do with the XM weather service you receive. It only has to do with the hardware you purchase and the software that comes with it.

The monthly plan you subscribe to only deals with the weather data you receive (radar, shear, satellite, lightning). The monthly subscription services have nothing to do with GPS or street level mapping.

So even if you could purchase an aviation system and subscribe to the $99 ground monthly service you would NOT have street level mapping. As I posted earlier you ONLY get GPS and premium mapping with the mobile threat net ground hardware system.

And THIS is where they lied to me. They told me that I could NOT get a Marine subscription package with the Ground Receiver. I asked him three times if this was possible. He said no. He said it would not work. He totally lied to me.

I told him I live near KY Lake and that I wanted to get the XM Ground Receiver hardware and the Mariner Subscription package. He told me no.

So I guess I was lied to.

Go figure

To be clear here...he said that the two would NOT work together. I was not confused when I asked him. I specifically called to find out if they would tell me I could purchase the ground hardware and use the cheaper marine or aviation package. I have read the threads in here and on Wx Chase that said you could do that. According to them you can not. According to members here (who I believe) you can.

They basically are trying to sell the $99 package even though you CAN use the cheaper packages. I don't know what is in it for them? I assume they get a kick back from XM? Why would they tell me that I could not use these packages with the ground hardware?

It was a manager that called me back. One would think they would answer your questions with a straight answer. I guess not.

Thanks for the answers and private emails that members have sent to me. It is a expensive to purchase this hardware and I appreciate those who have answered my questions :)

THANKS A BUNCH!!!!

Beau

Originally posted by Scott Taylor+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scott Taylor)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Sheila_Ward
As I posted earlier you ONLY get GPS and premium mapping with the mobile threat net ground hardware system.

Shiela, could you point me to the information that states this? According to this page -

http://store.wxworx.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

It looks like all of the packages offer GPS and premium mapping.

Thanks
Scott[/b]

Nope, doesn't look like I can anymore :lol:

When Mobile Threat Net was split out from WxWorx, I believe it was the only option with the premium mapping. You had to go to www.mobilethreatnet.com to order this system (which is how I got mine). At the first of March, it was all brought back in under WxWorx. You're right, it looks like they are offering GPS and premium mapping for all hardware packages now. And if you don't want it, you can take off $250, which is cool.

Cool, thanks. hehe, had me worried there for a minute... I ordered the a setup this morning but will be running the aviation plan + delorme earthmate.

G'day

Back