WxWorx V1.33

Before they do the text products and whatnot they should work on the radar. It does nothing but sucker me alllll the time, lol. I always consider messing with storms on the way home at night because they look decent on xm. I get home and get on the computer and just have to laugh. A non-severe storm on there(far from at times) would look the same as a 75dbz monster. A lot of nice supercells will fit in between that realm and there is zero distiction right now with xm radar.

JUNK severe showed 115mph "shear" markers, and the dude said "we were approaching a twisting storm!" :roll: :lol:

Weird. I have actually had a lot of luck using their shear markers. I also set the XM next to my home computer and watch it during severe events. XM seems to do pretty good with the rotating storms vs tornado warnings and the like.

Maybe it has its days.

There was plenty of different days where it showed "rotation!" on crap... Obviously, it's truthful sometimes - but everything XM gives you should be taken with a grain of salt. Satalite internet would be so nice at a affordable price... Isn't their satalite internet now? I thought I heard of it available, yet the price is pretty extreme per month.

There is but I believe it is bulky. I am not aware of any product that can be used while moving - that is small in size.

Perhaps someone else knows something?

Microsoft is going to offer something next year or the year after. High speed internet city wide. Not sure what cities - I assume as many as possible. It is going to be called? :) I can't remember - its not WIFI but something else FI.

I will have to google it.

The main barrier to satellite internet (mobile or fixed) is two-way communication between your computer and the satellite. The satellite has a strong transmitter that can reach earth-based antennas, but having this same type of transmitter in your car that can reach all the way into space for return transmissions would be very expensive (like sat phones) and impractical. So, right now all sat internet connections require a ground-based transmission path (phone line) if there is to be any signal reaching the satellite from your location. In other words, download is via satellite and 'upload'/data requests are via the phone line.

ThreatNet is a one-way system, data continually streams from the satellite down to the ground. Everyone gets the same data stream and there is no way to communicate back with the satellite to do anything 'custom'.

My theory about the limited products and smoothed radar is that bandwidth via satellite is very expensive, and XM is only alloting a small amount for this use on their system. So, the radar must be smoothed (less pixels=less data=less bandwidth) and there is limited space for new products. I'm guessing that it will require another chunk of bandwidth for any new products, and a resultant increase in the monthly cost. Of course that doesn't explain the new archived radar (which I am thinking is not on the actual data stream, but is more like an archive of what has already been received by your system since you turned it on). Again, that's just my theory, but the only explanation I can think of.

Also, don't know if I posted this before but I discovered this year that XM has ground-based transmitters in major cities. That it what the 'Ground Signal Strength' indicator is for in the XM link window that is normally showing no signal.

The main barrier to satellite internet (mobile or fixed) is two-way communication between your computer and the satellite. The satellite has a strong transmitter that can reach earth-based antennas, but having this same type of transmitter in your car that can reach all the way into space for return transmissions would be very expensive (like sat phones) and impractical. So, right now all sat internet connections require a ground-based transmission path (phone line) if there is to be any signal reaching the satellite from your location. In other words, download is via satellite and 'upload'/data requests are via the phone line.

That's not exactly accurate. While it may apply to most consumer options, corporate users have been using 2-way satellite internet setups for some time now. Somebody else here mention the Direcway system, which is one of several available. No phone line needed. Bulky though. As for a mobile variant, the systems I've seen still seem to require the unit to be stationary when making a connection.. ( for example, see this: http://www.groundcontrol.com/prod_ig2500_001.htm)
but full motion connectivity is likely just around the corner.

Full motion connectivity is available today, it just costs a LOT of money. You'll see them on some EMA vehicles in the federal space. Looks like a big dome on the top of the SUV. I saw one last weekend at an EMA open house in my area.

I figure long distance Wifi will be here sooner than satellite communication. Probably 5 years out still for medium size cities and probably 10 years out for the rural folks.

Drop a WiMax (or similar) antenna on top of every cell tower and you got pretty good coverage.

Who said chasing was supposed to be easy. It adds to the chase when you can't have everything infront of you. Were getting lazy in chasing. The radar is there to help you along the way. Sucsessful chasing comes with experience. I remember a few times that i hardly opened the XM this year becasue i could see what was going on (Chases nick wasnt with me). You have to descern shear markers. if you see 115MPH markers in a freakn squall line yeah more than likly thats upper shear being indicated it happens all the time. BUt when your looking at a supercell thats right in front of you its quiet obvious that the XM is being very truthful. Yes its not flawless but which one of us is flawless. people design programs. I would like to see them take our suggestions and use them. Yes i also would like to see the "high definition" radar actually live up to its name. It helps you see alot more things that are going on in the storms enviorment. What they got, does not at all. The best thing about XM is that you always have a signal unless some power botch or what not in your vehicle. You cant always use GRlevel 3 or other internet based programs out in the plains because theres no DATA network. There may be celll network. but you ge my meaning. Some times its hard to be so engrained in watching the computer screen that you miss some of the storms featurs had you not have anything in general. I Like to use the XM. It helps greatly

No matter how bad XM may be (or how many flaws), it is better than nothing. It's better than just going out empty handed and using your head as a radar...not that there haven't been succesful chases without RAD, but it makes it easier, as Kurt mentioned. Isn't Mobile Threat Net, ALWAYS set, to 'Smooth' the radar images? I would like to see it use Level 2 data....but that might be a bit expensive...but as the saying goes, "You Pay For What You Get".

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
I would like to see it use Level 2 data....but that might be a bit expensive...but as the saying goes, \"You Pay For What You Get\".

LOL Level II data? I bet folks would kill for just Level III (previously, NIDS) data! We don't even get Level II online (unless you subscribe to AllisonHouse, or your university has the data stream).

Originally posted by Tyler Allison+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyler Allison)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-John B Erwin

Full motion connectivity is available today.[/b]

As far as I know there isn't Full Motion connectivity. If I remember correctly, it's not that it can't be done but that the government has some law or something against it would satellite makers were waiting to be lifted. I might be wrong though. Can you find a link for a full motion system?

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Andrew Khan
I would like to see it use Level 2 data....but that might be a bit expensive...but as the saying goes, \"You Pay For What You Get\".

LOL Level II data? I bet folks would kill for just Level III (previously, NIDS) data! We don't even get Level II online (unless you subscribe to AllisonHouse, or your university has the data stream).[/b]

I was talking about subscribing to AllisonHouse...

Originally posted by Chris Carlson+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris Carlson)</div>
Originally posted by Tyler Allison@
<!--QuoteBegin-John B Erwin

Full motion connectivity is available today.

As far as I know there isn't Full Motion connectivity. If I remember correctly, it's not that it can't be done but that the government has some law or something against it would satellite makers were waiting to be lifted. I might be wrong though. Can you find a link for a full motion system?[/b]

MotoSAT -- http://www.motosat.com/ -- I believe does this. I know there is at least one company that provides in-motion satellite internet, mainly used by semi-trucks and RVs.

Well, Wxworx has worked great for us. I have been chasing for 7 years now and to have something like this is awesome. I actually like when the guy say's "You are approaching a twisting storm, please take caution". great for your clients to hear if your on a tour.

My brother and I bagged a tornado in the Mojave Desert this summer because of Wxworx. There is no cell reception in the areas we were and if we didn't have wxworx we would have never even considered the storm that dropped this desert twister.

http://impressivecreations.com/storm.html

"Our on-board weather radar was showing some rotation in this new area of development. Within less than a minute of the radar detecting rotation Jay said "Wooowwwhh, look at that. Tornado on the ground." Yep, there is was a tornado out in the middle of nowhere." quote from my story..

Anyway, we love it and me and my three Bro's went in on it so it was not to expensive. My brother also has a XM radio account so he gets discount from XM.

We are happy capmers...

B.p.

Back