WxWorx terminology (and other radar products)

Dan Robinson

It seems that one of the issues cropping up with WxWorx is that there are numerous terms floating around and being used synonymously for specific products or features, some of which are apparently incorrectly used (raises hand).

So, before the season gets going too far, I'd like to 'clear the air' on the correct terms for various WxWorx products and features. Below, I'm listing terms already floating around in widespread use:

What is the correct term for:

1.) The system itself:

a.) WxWorx
b.) (Mobile) ThreatNet
c.) XM
d.) all or none of the above

2.) The markers showing a 'shear storm':

a.) (shear) SCITs
b.) meso markers
c.) shear markers
d.) donuts
e.) hula hoops
f.) rings
g.) coffee cans
h.) rotation markers
i.) couplet (markers)
j.) all or none of the above

3.) The markers showing a 'severe storm' and estimated hail size:

a.) severe marker
b.) severe SCIT
c.) hail marker
d.) storm track
e.) all or none of the above

1.) The system itself:[/b]
XM is the satellite broadcast system. XM WX is the data service. WxWorx is the receiver system. ThreatNet is the software that converts the data into the display. Baron Services is the vendor.

2.) The markers showing a 'shear storm':[/b]
Some of these are acceptable jargon (d-g). But I'm used to calling them "shear centroids" or "meso detections". Sometimes I use the frequently-heard-on-tv term "low-level LOCK" in jest.

3.) The markers showing a 'severe storm' and estimated hail size:[/b]
I'm used to calling these "storm centroids" or "cell detections".

Bear in mind that I'm a co-designer of the WSR-88D severe storm algorithms, and have some experience in this area. I believe the algorithm output in ThreatNet is a mix of WSR-88D algorithms and Baron's proprietry algorithms.

"I believe the algorithm output in ThreatNet is a mix of WSR-88D algorithms and Baron's proprietry algorithms."

The probabilities are straight from NWS output, the hail size is theirs (and as I recall it's primarily from VILD which doesn't offer much use.)

It seems that one of the issues cropping up with WxWorx is that there are numerous terms floating around and being used synonymously for specific products or features, some of which are apparently incorrectly used (raises hand).

So, before the season gets going too far, I'd like to 'clear the air' on the correct terms for various WxWorx products and features. Below, I'm listing terms already floating around in widespread use:

What is the correct term for:

1.) The system itself:

a.) WxWorx
b.) (Mobile) ThreatNet
c.) XM
d.) all or none of the above

2.) The markers showing a 'shear storm':

a.) (shear) SCITs
b.) meso markers
c.) shear markers
d.) donuts
e.) hula hoops