WxWorx problem...

• Thread starter Caleb Kimbrough
  • Start date

Caleb Kimbrough

So, we got our wxworx hardware and software in the other week and installed it. It worked fine for the 2/24 chase and then the other day we fired it up and ran into a few problems...

When we start the program xmlink won't verify the antenna's serial number and therefore we can't get into mobile threat net. It says something about "ping not recieved"

We called xm and they sent a refresh signal to the antenna but it didn't help.

We think it may be a hardware problem with our antenna, I'm not sure though.

If anyone has ran into this problem before let me know, I'd like to get it up and running again soon....just in case some storms fire up soon.

Thanks!

Caleb

I can't specifically remember but it sounds like something I had happen before. What ended up working was I had them send the refresh signal again and then I left on for like an hour in activate mode or something. I don't remember specifically because I'd have to pull it all out and set it up.

Ok so I did set it all up. As I remember I left it with the activation window open. I had them resend the signal, and then I left it for over an hour. I remember it took a while. Hope this helps....

P.S. they said it was my antenna even though I had two of them

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was working fine then suddenly stopped, I would doubt a software configuration would be to blame. A few things to check:

- Try unplugging the usb cable, then power-cycling the receiver (unplugging the power cable, wait 30 seconds, re-connect power cable)

- If the receiver is plugged into an inverter, try placing a surge protector power strip inline with the receiver power cord.

- Try ensuring the inverter is well-connected to the car battery (ie, not plugged into the cigarette lighter)

- Make sure the light on the receiver stays solid green when connected to the computer. Red/green means no USB connection.

- Make sure laptop is running on external AC power source, not its battery

Hope one of these does the trick. On rare occasions, I have similar problems - and power-cycling the receiver always fixes it.

Any chance your firewall is keeping the receiver from communicating with the laptop? Try manually going into your firewall software to ensure you allow an exception for the Mobile Threat Net. Just a tought.

Any chance your firewall is keeping the receiver from communicating with the laptop? Try manually going into your firewall software to ensure you allow an exception for the Mobile Threat Net. Just a tought.

On several occasions I have had to reconfigure my firewall to allow WXWORX to run properly, however I do not remember ever getting a ping not received error. But its probably a good idea to eliminate all the possibilities.

I had the same error issue after chasing all of the tornadic action here in Alabama. Thanksfully I was using GR3/StormLab most of the time during the chase, but I turned off the XM system for about 15-30 minutes and everything seemed to work fine after I fired it back up.

I had the same problem with mine the last severe weather outbreak. I switched over to GR and after about 1 hour it worked again. This always seems to happen when I have Wxworx on for extended amounts of time .

So, I just spent over an hour on the phone with a nice lady named Jennifer over at Baron. We went through pretty much everything, and still the wxworx isn't working.

Either our laptops com ports are messed up somehow or we got a faulty antenna. I think that those are the only two problems that it can be.

We tried power cycling, running the antenna off different power sources, re-installing the software, and a few other things.

The only other thing that we can really try is to install the program on one of our other laptops...but when we put the disc in nothing happens. Any ideas?

If we can't get it to work soon I think we may send our antenna back in and get a replacement. The people over at Baron are really nice and helpful though... They have great customer service.

Caleb

Maybe we'll switch over to GR for the time being until we can get this fixed... We'll see.

I can't specifically remember but it sounds like something I had happen before. What ended up working was I had them send the refresh signal again and then I left on for like an hour in activate mode or something. I don't remember specifically because I'd have to pull it all out and set it up.

That is exactly the problem and resolution I had with mine. They said the new activation signal would be sent out in the next couple minutes and it should work. Well, it didn't fix it. I finally let it sit there for over an hour like you did and then it began working. It seems another person had this same thing too. There should be another thread in here on all that. I was scratching my head and had I not left it sit there for a loooong time I'd have still been scratching my head.

So, we got our wxworx hardware and software in the other week and installed it. It worked fine for the 2/24 chase and then the other day we fired it up and ran into a few problems...

When we start the program xmlink won't verify the antenna's serial number and therefore we can't get into mobile threat net. It says something about "ping not recieved"

We called xm and they sent a refresh signal to the antenna but it didn't help.

We think it may be a hardware problem with our antenna, I'm not sure though.

If anyone has ran into this problem before let me know, I'd like to get it up and running again soon....just in case some storms fire up soon.

Thanks!

Caleb

FYI in case there is anyone out there that may not be aware of this, you can send a refresh signal to your reciever via the world wide web.

http://www.xmradio.com/refresh/

I'm pretty sure you can just get a new antenna at best buy or any other place that sells XM radios, I'm pretty sure WX WORX uses the same antenna thats used with the standard XM radio. My buddy Jeff P. blew his XM antenna and just went and got a new one at Best Buy.

That is exactly the problem and resolution I had with mine. They said the new activation signal would be sent out in the next couple minutes and it should work. Well, it didn't fix it. I finally let it sit there for over an hour like you did and then it began working. It seems another person had this same thing too. There should be another thread in here on all that. I was scratching my head and had I not left it sit there for a loooong time I'd have still been scratching my head.

You absolutely have to have it in activation mode to recieve the refresh signal or any other signal. The activation mode is the screen with all the check boxes in it. I had that same problem back on March 12th, I was trying to upgrade to the responder package and I never recieved it because I wasn't in activation mode, once I put it in the right mode and had them send the signal again I recieved it almost instantly.

You absolutely have to have it in activation mode to recieve the refresh signal or any other signal. The activation mode is the screen with all the check boxes in it. I had that same problem back on March 12th, I was trying to upgrade to the responder package and I never recieved it because I wasn't in activation mode, once I put it in the right mode and had them send the signal again I recieved it almost instantly.

I never said I wasn't. I was. It had nothing to do with not being in the right mode. It had everything to do with them actually sending it that fast, right away...evidently. It just sat there and I let it sit there until about an hour later it said "sailor" on the screen. I kept walking out to the car to see and it wasn't activating for that long duration, till it finally did loooooong after I started the whole process. Unless casper the ghost walked by and was taking it out of that mode and then later came back to put it back in it, it sat there that long in activation mode without activating, with a clear shot of the sky. It seems like SEVERAL have had to do this same thing. It was only that one time it did that to me. The other it fired right up.

Back