Would you chase without cameras?

There have been many times that I've looked at my video at the end of a chase just to check if I really saw what I thought I saw - and that I wasn't just dreaming. Cameras can be an alternative to 'pinch me' to see if I'm really awake :)

The ability to capture the experience is such a large part of the dyanmic, I know I would still chase but it would certainly make it different. I want to document, capture, photograph it so the story can be told and the experience can be re-lived for myself and others. Outside of weahter officianados I don't think many are as interested as I give them credit for but that doesn't change anything. Being able to make the forecast, give chase and 'be in the presence' of such stunning storms is reward enough. To me what's worse then chasing without a camera is chasing with one and being unsatisfied with the result. But if all means of visual documentation ceased, that would be a major loss. The experience is largely visual, without that there is no way to come close to being able to convey the experience towards others, unless you are a writer of epic proportions. Capturing the storm seems as pure to me as just wanting to absorb it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not chase if I hadn't the camera. Since currently I am watching storms, whenever I am, it wouldn't be a big deal for me so far. Still, it has happened with me, that I am standing in my driveway, looking powerful cloud in the eastern sky with my binocular and sorrowing that I can't photograph it. Usually during thunderstorms, I concentrate on collecting weather data from the storm. Also, sometimes, I record rumbles of thunder.

I would chase without a car, with a guitar, while smoking a cigar; I would chase in a hat, with a bat, petting a cat; I would chase without a camera, I would chase.....uhh, anyone know what rhymes with camera?

Well after reading a few replies it made me remember March 12, 2006. It was getting late, probably around 8 or 9 and we were in stand still traffic on I-70 probably about 70 to 80 miles east of KC and we could see on our threat net a fresh new wave of tornadic storms heading right for us. We were actually getting quite worried because we had no way of escaping due to the fact that Missouri has something like a guard rail going threw the middle of the interstate so we couldn't turn around to go west if we had to. We had about an hour or so to contemplate what to do, we were actually more worried about the thousands of civilians stuck in this mess having know idea what was heading towards them. Anyways, the storms arrive and just a few hundred yards to our north just off I-70 we can see two tornadoes that seemed to be just sitting there, we pull off the interstate to get out and I didn't even get my camera out, I didn't even think of it and I didn't care. I was in such awe of what we were seeing I just stood there, things seemed to move in slow motion, bone rattling thunder didn't even budge me. No, I knew I'd remember this for the rest of my life, some things just need to be witnessed, not caught on tape, you know what I mean. But have no fear I ended up getting plenty of tornadoes on film that night I just had that one moment and it felt great.

my biggest problem thus far is not bringing my camera everywhere I go. For Instance, storms were occuring in Southern Ca and I had to drop my nephews off at there house. I figured I did not need my camera since convection was weak. Well it just so happened a mile away from there house A funnel cloud was taking place and I had no chance to get a photo.

Unless you are specifically Taking readings from the stormcs you chase, then I dont see a need for a camera. For myself, I need a camera for every storm I intercept and for those storms that pop up that I didnt expect.

Not sure if anyone else has it this bad. But nightmares for myself these days include severe weather in my dreams and my cameras are no where to be found. So I do my best to always bring my camera with me and sometimes leave the camera in the truck when its not too hot.

So In End, I do my best to chase with my camera. Without it, for myself, its pointless..... The memories & photos are by far the best part after the stormy day....

-gerrit

Yes, this is quite interesting...and I distinctly believe the answer lies within human nature. It is the constant need, to have your mind put to ease, that you captured an image of an event. Essentially it may be the broadest point to strike one's mind that the true reason they have the camera, is to truley remember the event. This is the quite general case, however I believe this issue also is distinguished as a psychological soothing mechanism, to say, "It is okay, I got it."

I have done this in the past...but it does kind of throw in a level of frustration into the chase...especially those once in a lifetime photo or video ops. On 4/22/05 (Neosho Co. KS F3) my video camera failed..but luckily I had my digital camera for still photos. I sure do wish I had video from that day. My timing and positioning were the best I have had until recently up in SD. I would say cameras are like the proof...otherwise it's like the old fisherman saying I caught one yo big.

My battery died during Mulvane in 04, and also on 3/12/06 this year after driving through a weak tornadic circulation near Sedalia. It is very frustrating when this happens.

I couldn't chase without a camera ever again. It's good to relive those moments, as the memories fade without seeing it for a long time. I could care less if someone believes me or not.

I would say cameras are like the proof...otherwise it's like the old fisherman saying I caught one yo big.

I'm fairly certain I would have a reputation for being a colorful storyteller if it weren't for some of the pictures I bring home. Some people give me the 'yeah right' look to the point that I'd rather just show them the video than try to describe it in words.

The more I chase, the less equipment I want to leave home without, especially a camera. It provides the proof. Kind of like fishing and the big one getting away. Improving my photography skills is where I need to focus a lot of my attention.

Back