Winter Storm Watch for portions of Iowa!

At least that stuff can make for some pretty pictures. I'm hoping we get some of it here too.

Eastern Iowa Ice Storm on Saturday?

All guidance, except GFS (which can be less unreliable in situations involving shallow cold airmasses in the Upper Midwest), suggests an extended overrunning precipitation event in eastern Iowa during the day on Saturday. Models all indicate QPF’s approaching and in some cases exceeding 0.5”. The ground temperature will be well below freezing in all locations, and air temperatures should also be well below zero below 2500ft – again well supported by all guidance except GFS.

- bill

I very highly disagree with this watch, at least for the southern two thirds of it. I would be very surprised to see freezing rain last more than an hour in most of these locations. The air will warm up quickly saturday morning. In fact, I expect no freezing rain in my area at all....

I'd say up in southern MN and southern and central WI have the best shot for an ice storm..

Originally posted by Joel Wright
I very highly disagree with this watch, at least for the southern two thirds of it. I would be very surprised to see freezing rain last more than an hour in most of these locations. The air will warm up quickly saturday morning. In fact, I expect no freezing rain in my area at all....

I'd say up in southern MN and southern and central WI have the best shot for an ice storm..

Though this whole thread could probably be part of the "ice storm" thread I started, but anyway...

I agree with you Joel. For the most part, the models haven't even been very consistant, and have actually been getting warmer with each run, but we shall see!

Back