Windows Vista

Been BETA testing it for about six months on a different laptop. Had nothing but trouble !!! One thing to keep in mind is that VISTA isn't compatible with a lot of the software you're likely currently running. I know that Symantec wasn't compatible with Vista, nor was my Sprint connection card software, no could I run Pinnacle Studio, etc. etc.

Bottom line, I've converted all my computers BACK to XP and will wait Vista out for another year or so. It seems like the hardest challenge I find is keeping my hardware up to date with the software! Talked to a guy the other day on this HD video editing software, and he stated most machines are requiring 8 gigs of ram to do it correctly! What the @#$#?
When is enough, really enough?

I'm perfectly happy with XP pro. It has never failed me yet! If I get it, it's going to be a while so all the bugs can get worked out.

My next move will probably be to Linux. I'm already running Ubuntu on my server and Kubuntu on my laptop. Once WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator), it's an implementation layer, hits 1.0, it's support for DirectX intensive applications should be top notch.

Vista just doesn't appeal to me really. If I need software to work or just can't get it on WINE, I'll probably keep a dual boot or even use VMWare. While I do like OSX, I'd just assume to run FreeBSD or another flavor of BSD Unix.

There is virtually NO reason to be an early adopter of Vista and people who want to, either don't understand the practicalities involved (almost no Vista-ready applications to run on it, for example) or they just want to be "cutting edge". It's called "cutting edge" because you get very bloody on it. If you want to be an unpaid beta tester for Microsoft, and enjoy the decreased performance of your PC by dropping in an even more resource-hungry OS, be my guest.

By the way, when you do UPGRADE to Vista I hope everyone means "doing a clean install" when they say 'upgrade'.

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
Hidden Cost of Vista Upgrade Coupon
Window Vista Upgrade Guide (windowsatoz.com)
The Big Question: Should I Upgrade to Vista?

It seems like the hardest challenge I find is keeping my hardware up to date with the software! Talked to a guy the other day on this HD video editing software, and he stated most machines are requiring 8 gigs of ram to do it correctly! What the @#$#?
When is enough, really enough?

That sounds odd, or as if he is talking about REAL hd stuff. The HDV you have shouldn't need anything near 8 gigs. My entire 2006 was shot in HDV and edited just fine via Premiere Pro 1.5 with just 1 gig of ram.

(sorry for the sort of off topic post)

I'm sticking with XP for now. I'm very happy with how stable it is. Everything seems to work. I guess Vista has a great now look, much more Mac like, but that's just about it.

Plus, I was installing Vista on a client's laptop and it burst into flames.

Vista is very software-protection oriented. Good luck on getting a "copy" from friends, etc. Security is so tight in the Vista software that you have to pay for everything you want. Goodbye freeware and shareware.

Freeware and shareware work fine in Vista so I'm not sure what that means exactly... I ran both beta's of it and both the 32 and 64-bit versions of the final with no problems. I had a few reboots with Beta 1, one with Beta2, and literally seamless operations with final release.

Well I got my copy today. I'm gonna install it on my backup laptop and mess around with it for a bit before upgrading the main box.

Back