Wifi/Internet Explorer/Net Stumbler......

thanks ... will try it ... I've had more trouble with network connections and XP for some reason ... ethernet connections are working pretty smoothly now, but WiFi has been VERY hit or miss, particularly when I use NetStumbler ... there was usually no rhyme or reason when I did manage to get on in the past

Man this isn't so encouraging. I thought I'd be the only one with the issue and it'd be an easy FIX. Maybe it is encouraging I'm not the only one with the problem....but that isn't very useful. Thanks for the ideas. Will try some out today.

I too have given up on wi -fi with XP
I have a bit more of a problem though.
2 computers run XP, 1 Runs ME (the laptop)
1 IPAQ runs winppc 2003

I also have a micro desktop which has a serial port and 1 usb port that runs Red Hat Linux 9.00 - That is the next challenge to get a working modem on the serial port- it does not recognise my usb modem - no linux drivers.

Mike,

Did you setup your connections in IE like this?

LOL, there are 4 of us(Mikes) posting in this now. Yes, I tried all three settings.

My setup (with Orinoco Gold card) is like this:

I completely disabled the windows wireless network management. "Start -> Run -> services.msc" Right click on "Wireless Zero Configuration" and choose "disable".

To manage my wireless networks I use Boingo, but the newest version would not work with this card/laptop for some reason. I ended up getting it to work with Boingo version 1.3, which I have here:
http://www2.okstorms.com:8080/files/boingo...goinstaller.exe

I was using Serial Splitter to run multiple programs with one GPS, but have since switched to GPSGate http://franson.com/gpsgate/ . It seems to be working better for me.

I hope all this helps, my system seems to be pretty stable now.

Thanks JR that sounds like a great idea. I'll try that route.

One other thing... on Netstumbler under Device it shows 2 versions of the card. The first one "ORiNOCO PC CARD (5 volt) ORiNOCO" and the second one "ORiNOCO PC CARD (5 volt) NDIS 5.1" If Netstumbler is set to the 1st one it bumps my home connection on Boingo offline. If I switch to the second choice I can reconnect to my home network without a problem.

JR-
Thanks for the link! :) I was close to shelling out $100 for Eltima's Serial Splitter, but knew there was a better deal out there somewhere. Doesn't make sense to pay that much for ONE utility when I only need to split the COM port on the GPS between 2 apps running simultaneously --even if the GUI looks a little 'nicer'!
The steep price tag on the Eltima splitter looks like a total ripoff compared to GPSGate, which costs just 14.95 per PC for licenses on 1-4 computers. I'm glad to hear the program's working well for you. Can't wait to try it out!
Jon

JR-
Thanks for the link! :) I was close to shelling out $100 for Eltima's Serial Splitter, but knew there was a better deal out there somewhere. Doesn't make sense to pay that much for ONE utility when I only need to split the COM port on the GPS between 2 apps running simultaneously --even if the GUI looks a little 'nicer'!
The steep price tag on the Eltima splitter looks like a total ripoff compared to GPSGate, which costs just 14.95 per PC for licenses on 1-4 computers. I'm glad to hear the program's working well for you. Can't wait to try it out!
Jon

Might also want to check out X-port. I have been using it a while now with no problems at all. And the best part is, its free!

http://curioustech.home.insightbb.com/xport.html

Well I uninstalled Netstumbler and installed Mozilla. Now both IE and Mozilla will do the same thing to me. I connect with Boingo and then open either browser and at first they work. Then when I try and do another thing with them they kick up the dial up box. Shortly after that my wifi connection ends/disconnects. Over and over and over it would do this and I had 4 out of 6 bars for strength. I know it isn't the signal as it would do it every single time the same way. The first attempt to do something with the browser would work using the wifi and the next one would always kick up the dial up box. Sigh.

Oh yeah, then when I got home my home computer and dial up would not let me in! LOL. It wouldn't verify the address. Apparently the one up town thought I was still logged in. Talk about working backwards, having the home dial up quit working.

Back