Wifi/Internet Explorer/Net Stumbler......

Mike Hollingshead

Got a quick question. I recently got an orinco gold card and downloaded net stumbler. I can find many open wifi spots up town but everytime I open IE it wants me to dial up. I've heard from many people that it just connects(my dad even had it connect and work fine at a motel with an onbaord wifi device...he did nothing). I know of one other chaser having the same issue. Is there some IE setting for connecting that would need changed? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

It has xp on it. It is used both for dial up at home and also a cell connection in digital areas.

Holy cow......just clicked on this thread after finishing a late dinner. Our dinner was later as we spent 1.5 hours trying to figure out the VERY SAME problem as Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

We have the NetStumbler and something called Boingo (which does the same thing).

We just bought a Wireless Router today to run two pcs and a laptop off of at home here in the office. We've installed the Router and its software OK, and we can get our laptop to even CONNECT TO THE ROUTER - it finds the "Rhoden" network and signs on (after much a$$-kicking). So it's connected and all - but when we try to surf - SAME AS MIKE!!!!!!!!!! It won't accept the router network's password and all - anyways it's Wireless it shouldn't be connecting via dial-up, right??

What IS going on?!?!?!?!!? :evil: :twisted: :x :evil: :shock:

KR

In the Internet options under connections did you check "Dial when a network connection is not present" or are you set at Always dial?

I bet it is as simple as that. I will run it up town and try it again. Not sure what it is set on, but I bet it is set on that always dial thingy.

Thanks....

lol Karen. I had asked another chaser I knew had it "working" but he said he had the same deal, but he was finding spots.

Mike - you sound like you're having the exact same problem as we were - so here is what I did (bear in mind I know absolutely nothing about computers - I'm just giving you our solution):........

It kept trying to dial the wireless router (or WiFi in your case) via a dial up connection. It isn't a dial up connection. Mike seeing as you are trying to get a WiFi connection - the solution may not be the same, Sorry.

After it still wouldn't connect on IE, I opened Tools-Internet Options-and tabbed to Connections. Above the dial-up settings panel there is a Setup tab you can click on to "Use the Internet Connection Wizard to connect your computer to the internet." That's what I did. Once you click there - it gave me options to set up a LAN. The LAN Wizard then asks for the HTTP address of the router. I inputted it, fiddled a few more things, and hey-presto it's working.

Sorry Mike - if you're trying for WiFi I have no idea if the solution would be the same or not.

KR

Yeah the various IE dial up properties didn't help. Tried never dial a connection and also the only dial if a network is not present. The connection thing even shows it connected at 11mbs/s. But when I open the IE window it is as if it isn't connected. It did wait and not pull up the connect box a couple times and just sat there till that attempt timed out. If it is connected I'd think it'd be some setting in IE or some other conflict, perhaps with the "boingo" program that opens. I think I'll uninstall boingo and just go back up there with net stumbler and try that.

I noticed on my laptop that many times my wireless USB ethernet will not connect to the network...sending and receiving packets...but the computer recognizes the connection. I almost always have to do a Disable/Enable recycle after the computer has been rebooted.. I have a linksys wireless "G" USB ethernet..

I wonder if this is something you may be experiencing as well, H?

Mike U

I also have this same issue - and it cropped up time after time last season. Also use XP here and you all describe the problem exactly.

Mike U - what do you mean by a "disable/enable" recycle? - how does a person do it?

I also have this same issue - and it cropped up time after time last season. Also use XP here and you all describe the problem exactly.

Mike U - what do you mean by a "disable/enable" recycle? - how does a person do it?

Go in to "Network Connections" and look for your wireless connection. Right click menu "Disable"... wait a few seconds... right click "Enable"... then it mysteriously works for me and sends/receives packets with no problem. It's funny cuz sometimes I'll get a message window saying "connection not found"... but there most indeed IS one and is sending/receiving. I'm not a hardware guy so don't ask me what the reasoning for this is. It's like you gotta "kick it in the @$$" to get it going! Then again, my computer is kinda strange..

Mike U

Back