WiFi Access

Just got a new fujitsu laptop. Damn its nice. Heres the deal.

I am able to pick up more networks with the internal wifi setup than I am with the MHZ kid ornico and 7dbi antenna..

what gives???

Originally posted by fplowman
Just got a new fujitsu laptop. Damn its nice. Heres the deal.

I am able to pick up more networks with the internal wifi setup than I am with the MHZ kid ornico and 7dbi antenna..

what gives???

Good thing I didn't buy it...yet...

My laptop and desktop are two different items in comparison. I have them both in the same position and the such and the desktop gets 3 networks while my laptop gets 12. I wish I knew why also.

I own a Orionco wifi card that I put in my laptop. Plugs into a 7dbi antenna thats on the top of the car. It's more of a backup in case im in an area where the cell phone isn't working. Actually, it works suprisingly well in my town. If I just turn on Grlevel3 and NetStumbler I can just drive around and GR3 won't miss a beat on updates.

When I was down in Hugo, OK earlier this year it didn't work so well. A better antenna would have definately been worth the money.

No problems here..

Hey guys, I was the one in the Walmart parking lot getting two bars from the Kettle restraunt yesterday, I have the same setup, the Orinoco/MHZkid 7db gain card/antenna. I havent had any problems, I also just let XP handle the network connecting, Netstumbler intereferes with it shutting down the Zero Config.

Thanks for a great chase week guys! I left the Altus storm yesterday and drove 25+ hours back to Florida! Gonna go nite now!! :)

Ok,

more expirementing. Driving through a neighborhood in undisclosed location. With the built in atheros b/g pro i was able to pick up 7 networks. with the orinoco gold only 3 networks.. hmmmm

Anyone know what the issue is? i thought the card and 7dbi antenna was supposed to double or triple your range :( <---- sad chad.

grrrr :evil:

The Linksys WUSB11 (external USB unit with flip-out antenna) gets the best signal of any adapter I've used. You can get it for around $30 at any electronics store.

Last year, after hearing all the hype about the Orinoco card, I picked one up on Ebay along with the same antenna that others were using. I was disappointed - the Orinoco setup does't work as well as the Linksys, it gets only 1/5 the signal strength that I'd been getting with the WUSB11.

Andrew the research and advice you gave in this thread is much appreciated. I did some research of my own, and I agree with your findings. The SMC card is excellent. I am also using the high gain antenna you were talking about. For those of you that were able to chase with me last week, you probably saw how well this setup worked. I was able to park an impressive distance away from wireless and get an excellent signal. This setup is an excellent buy, and I would definately recommend this to anyone.

The only negative point I can see is that the external antenna will fall off at speeds over 60 mph. I just slap it on when I need net, then take it off after I'm done.

Back