Where did you take your Avatar pic and when?

I usually am interested in asking where chasers photographed their avatar pic. So I thought a thread would be good for you-all and I to keep up to date with these favorites.

Finally I have something worthy to replace my last avatar pic of the Texas wallcloud and beavertail that Doug Raflik and I saw in 2002.

My new avatar is one of the pics from the Kirksville, tornado 5/13/2009. I like the foreground of this one which gives the photo and the tornado some more perspective. That tornado for us was ever changing and has amazing structure streaming upward. (more at the link with more pics)

Please post where you took yours and date and anything else you want.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I took mine on 6-6-07 while driving north in South Dakota. Just a random scenery shot. I photoshopped Calvin in there after a cap bust months later. Hes thinking "Stupid Cap" although for this year I should put a V2 on his shirt and change it to "Damn Death Ridges"

Mine is of the Harper County, KS tornado from May 29th, 2004.

April 14th, 2006 near Attica, IN.

Beautifully sculpted meso, classic horse shoe base, but no tornado.

Probably the best storm to come through my area during my lifetime.

September 15th, 2008 at Picacho Peak State Park in Arizona along I-10 at Exit 219. Nice stand of old Saguaro cactus with a good shot of the Crepuscular rays from a monsoon storm, late in the season.

August 2nd 1996 at St. Francis KS. It was a northwest flow event, with dewpoints in low 70s at GLD. The supercell moved slowly toward the west.

September 16, 2006 F2 Tornado near Salem, SD, my first major tornado intercept.

In the town of Maricopa in the Central Deserts August 2008. This night:

StromHotDates2.jpg

Canton, Ohio last August... met my childhood idol and the man whose number I have been wearing across Tornado Alley since 2004. Washington Redskins Hall of Fame Wide Receiver, Art Monk.

Pittsburgh, June 26, 2008. Hoping to replace it with a new one this summer.

July 2003, front yard. Powerful convection, fabulous structure albeit stationary. Huge anvil. Went on past dusk. The avatar image was just a quick and sloppy crop job.

Mine is from nighttime video captures somewhere near Last Chance, Colorado on 20 April 2005. Lightning revealed what I believe was a funnel cloud about 1/2 way from cloud base to ground. Who knows it that was an actual tornado, since only rabbits and prarie dogs live in that area.

I shot my photo (avatar) from my roof, in Reading, PA on July 26.2008. Developing thunderstorm at sunset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back