Where are the Feds?

the giant sandbags are nothing more than a bandaid on a point blank 12 gauge shotgun wound

I knew that too, but it was a plan. What's your plan?

Maybe 30th largest city doesn't ring home. Here are some comparisons: Boston, Washington, Fort Worth, Devner, LAs Vegas, Oklahoma City, Portland, Atlanta, Oakland.....all around the same size of NO.

the giant sandbags are nothing more than a bandaid on a point blank 12 gauge shotgun wound

I knew that too, but it was a plan. What's your plan?

Maybe 30th largest city doesn't ring home. Here are some comparisons: Boston, Washington, Fort Worth, Devner, LAs Vegas, Oklahoma City, Portland, Atlanta, Oakland.....all around the same size of NO.

there is no plan, New Orleans in unique because of where it is built. WE ALL KNEW this would happen sooner or later and no one did anything to stop it. Why waste time doing something when they could be saving lives. There is really nothing man can do right now to stop the water from coming in. We have to wait till the water stops rising before we can really figure out a way to stop it

and pray that another storm dosent move in anytime in the next month

THe governor of Louisian has now called for an evacuation of N.O. including all those in shelters. The levee will not be plugged and pumps in that area are expected to fail in 12-15 hours causing water to rise 9-12 feet. There is also apparently a second breech in the levee system. Here is the statement from officials

****ALL RESIDENTS ON THE EAST BANK OF ORLEANS AND JEFFERSON REMAINING IN THE METRO AREA ARE BEING TOLD TO EVACUATE AS EFFORTS TO SANDBAG THE LEVEE BREAK HAVE ENDED. THE PUMPS IN THAT AREA ARE EXPECTED TO FAIL SOON AND 9 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED IN THE ENTIRE EAST BANK. WITHIN THE NEXT 12-15 HOURS****

The city of New Orleans will be a total loss soon with almost every structure under water. They will all have to be rebuilt along with all infastructure. This is a decades long project not a 10 month cleanup like Andrew was.

Just make sure those 'you know whats' who were looting the stores and houses remain in N.O. when it floods so they can be part of the urban renewal plan, if it is going to happen. I will say a prayer for all others.

I'm not gonna turn this is a political debate, however FEMA does have alot of resources already deployed and are working on getting supplies and such into the affected areas.

For instance, they have several DMAT (Disaster Medical Assistance Teams) deployed around the affected area, including inside the superdome. They also have deployed at least 3 Urban Search and Rescue Task Forces from around the country and are calling up more.

Travel down there is horrendous as everbody knows so supplies are slow to arrive, but they are in the area.

I'm on one of our state DMAT's so I won't be deployed, however the Iowa is putting together a team of volunteers from all of our in state DMAT's to head down there towards the end of the week.

I think the reason many of the broadcast stations are running regular programming is because pretty much all of them have cable news stations as part of their groups that are running continuous coverage...

As for the levee's....Maybe they should send some of us sandbaggers from 1993 down there :D

I agree that FEMA is working hard but:

They also have deployed at least 3 Urban Search and Rescue Task Forces from around the country and are calling up more.

3! Three teams. That's the plan? You need 3 teams in one neighborhood in one of the small coastal towns of MS. Three teams!

I just pray that there is so much more going on right now that I don't know about.

They also have deployed at least 3 Urban Search and Rescue Task Forces from around the country and are calling up more.

3! Three teams. That's the plan? You need 3 teams in one neighborhood in one of the small coastal towns of MS. Three teams!

I just pray that there is so much more going on right now that I don't know about.

it takes time to get everything together, remember no one expected this area to be hit on Friday and no one expected the hurricane to get as bad as it did.

Simply put I don't think America has the resources to be able to manage the disaster. Its going to take time to even start to fix anything. The news reporters keep asking about power and the dead but they are missing the point that right now power and the dead are very low on the priority list.

New Orleans is done for, its really beyond the point of saving now. All those people will have to be put up someplace for a long time >year. I don't think they have a plan at this very minute on how to deal with this. Having a plan at this point doesn't matter all that much anyhow, the biggest concern needs to be on getting the people still alive out. These people will have to be supported long term and it will likely take congressional action to ensure a future for them.

All of the other places that got hit are what really need help in trying to get back to their normal lives. These areas need to be the main focus of the disaster cleanup. They will be able to get back on their feet a lot quicker because of the fact that they can rebuild and repair without having to start over building a city from scratch.

So basically the goal for New Orleans is to limit human suffering while the goal for everyplace else is to pick up what remains and start the effort to rebuild.

it takes time to get everything together, remember no one expected this area to be hit on Friday and no one expected the hurricane to get as bad as it did.

I don't know, that strongly worded NWS statement issued before the hurricane sure made me "expect" it... Not to mention, the NHC did an excellent job in forecast it, and it was played over and over on ALL news networks...

If they didn't know it was coming, then short of personally knocking on everyones door, there really is no other way to get a warning out.

The mayor of NO was just on Fox and they asked him, point blank, if they had enough rescue personel and Guard there to help..........he said "oh yes, we have enough". Yes, they need more and more are coming. But according to the mayor of this distressed city, they are not in a crisis due to lack of help.

Back