• Stormtrack's forum runs on Xenforo forum software, which will be undergoing a major update the evening of Wednesday, Feb 28th. The site may be down for a period while that update takes place.

Where are the Feds?

What the f? Where is the federal government? They need more than the National Guard...they need everything.

Where is the damn president? He needs to be addressing the nation at this point. It might not have looked as scary as 9/11, but this is devastating. This is the nation's worst disaster ever.

The extent of the disaster hasn't struck the general public yet, the way it seems. The media reported New Orleans dodged the bullet and things weren't that bad and that is what sticks in peoples minds. It'll just take some time to sink in.

What the f? Where is the federal government? They need more than the National Guard...they need everything.

Where is the damn president? He needs to be addressing the nation at this point. It might not have looked as scary as 9/11, but this is devastating. This is the nation's worst disaster ever.

what do you expect there to be done? Why does the president have to address the nation. The National Gaurd is there, the Coast Gaurd reserve is being called up, there is a US Navy Ship accepting the injured. The scope of this thing is so big and there is no point in rushing troops in and getting them killed

Well, the fact that the 30th largest city in the country has been destroyed and there are millions of refugees...that's big news.

I can't believe the networks aren't covering this as breaking news. They break in a programming for a lot more mundane things.

Well, the fact that the 30th largest city in the country has been destroyed and there are millions of refugees...that's big news.

I can't believe the networks aren't covering this as breaking news. They break in a programming for a lot more mundane things.

Not to mention the prison riot situation... It sounds like total chaos down there, I certainly wouldn't want to be down there, if I was a rescuer even....

Indeed......the major networks are still playing Gilmore Girls. As a result, most people who haven't been paying attention have no idea how bad this really is. As a result, there is less pressure for Fed action and one expects lower contributions to Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc...

Jay Antle

Still the federal government is mobolized, it takes time to get everything going. Bush has done pretty much everything he can do, he has declared the entire region a disaster area freeing up huge amounts of funds for them. The Homeland Security disaster office has been opened in Atlanta. Remember this happened yesterday.

I guess it took a couple days for the news stations to start really covering the tsunami. But this is the big one. This is the disaster that everyone has been planning for.

Don't get me wrong, the feds are helping and doing as much as they can. This one really needs everything though.

Indeed......the major networks are still playing Gilmore Girls. As a result, most people who haven't been paying attention have no idea how bad this really is. As a result, there is less pressure for Fed action and one expects lower contributions to Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc...

Jay Antle

less pressure for fed action? you cant be serious.

what do you expect there to be done? Why does the president have to address the nation. The National Gaurd is there, the Coast Gaurd reserve is being called up, there is a US Navy Ship accepting the injured. The scope of this thing is so big and there is no point in rushing troops in and getting them killed

Also FEMA is on the way with all sorts of supply's from MRE's, food, water, medical, money.

Also FEMA is on the way with all sorts of supply's from MRE's, food, water, medical, money.

Yes New Orleans is bad but if you wanna see really bad, go watch houses as islands on CNN.com. Coastal Mississippi is devastated so much worse

Sorry, when I had started this thread I just heard the mayor of NO on tv. Apperently the helicopter never showed to fix the big breech, he doesn't know what is going on, he doesn't have a plan. He has given up on trying to stop the water.

Somebody needs to step in and do something. I'm not saying they are going to do the right thing, they need to do something though. When the s**t hits the fan you need a plan...any plan...as long as its a plan (Winston Churchill lived by those words).

Sorry, when I had started this thread I just heard the mayor of NO on tv. Apperently the helicopter never showed to fix the big breech, he doesn't know what is going on, he doesn't have a plan. He has given up on trying to stop the water.

Where did you hear this?

What channel?

Coastal MS looks like Banda Aceh, its horrible. But those people are either dead or evacuated. NO is a major city with tens of thousands stranded alive and in danger.

the giant sandbags are nothing more than a bandaid on a point blank 12 gauge shotgun wound

I knew that too, but it was a plan. What's your plan?

Maybe 30th largest city doesn't ring home. Here are some comparisons: Boston, Washington, Fort Worth, Devner, LAs Vegas, Oklahoma City, Portland, Atlanta, Oakland.....all around the same size of NO.

the giant sandbags are nothing more than a bandaid on a point blank 12 gauge shotgun wound

I knew that too, but it was a plan. What's your plan?

Maybe 30th largest city doesn't ring home. Here are some comparisons: Boston, Washington, Fort Worth, Devner, LAs Vegas, Oklahoma City, Portland, Atlanta, Oakland.....all around the same size of NO.

there is no plan, New Orleans in unique because of where it is built. WE ALL KNEW this would happen sooner or later and no one did anything to stop it. Why waste time doing something when they could be saving lives. There is really nothing man can do right now to stop the water from coming in. We have to wait till the water stops rising before we can really figure out a way to stop it

and pray that another storm dosent move in anytime in the next month

THe governor of Louisian has now called for an evacuation of N.O. including all those in shelters. The levee will not be plugged and pumps in that area are expected to fail in 12-15 hours causing water to rise 9-12 feet. There is also apparently a second breech in the levee system. Here is the statement from officials

****ALL RESIDENTS ON THE EAST BANK OF ORLEANS AND JEFFERSON REMAINING IN THE METRO AREA ARE BEING TOLD TO EVACUATE AS EFFORTS TO SANDBAG THE LEVEE BREAK HAVE ENDED. THE PUMPS IN THAT AREA ARE EXPECTED TO FAIL SOON AND 9 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED IN THE ENTIRE EAST BANK. WITHIN THE NEXT 12-15 HOURS****

The city of New Orleans will be a total loss soon with almost every structure under water. They will all have to be rebuilt along with all infastructure. This is a decades long project not a 10 month cleanup like Andrew was.

Just make sure those 'you know whats' who were looting the stores and houses remain in N.O. when it floods so they can be part of the urban renewal plan, if it is going to happen. I will say a prayer for all others.

I'm not gonna turn this is a political debate, however FEMA does have alot of resources already deployed and are working on getting supplies and such into the affected areas.

For instance, they have several DMAT (Disaster Medical Assistance Teams) deployed around the affected area, including inside the superdome. They also have deployed at least 3 Urban Search and Rescue Task Forces from around the country and are calling up more.

Travel down there is horrendous as everbody knows so supplies are slow to arrive, but they are in the area.

I'm on one of our state DMAT's so I won't be deployed, however the Iowa is putting together a team of volunteers from all of our in state DMAT's to head down there towards the end of the week.

I think the reason many of the broadcast stations are running regular programming is because pretty much all of them have cable news stations as part of their groups that are running continuous coverage...

As for the levee's....Maybe they should send some of us sandbaggers from 1993 down there :D

I agree that FEMA is working hard but:

They also have deployed at least 3 Urban Search and Rescue Task Forces from around the country and are calling up more.

3! Three teams. That's the plan? You need 3 teams in one neighborhood in one of the small coastal towns of MS. Three teams!

I just pray that there is so much more going on right now that I don't know about.

Back