Whats a good mobile 2M radio and mounting questions for antenna

I am studying on my HAM License and hope to get it before the weather starts to become more active, and I have made a thread before about mobile hand held radios, and now have decided to get a mobile radio instead (looks cooler and would be a good conversation starter on why I have it) and have looked at the ones suggested such as the Yaesu FT 1900R or something similar.

Question 1. What is a great starting radio but also has NWS weather radio capabilities (if possible) at a 100-175 dollar range (FT Student, PT Job)

Question 2. What is a good antenna size, from talking around my area some are using 36" antennas. Are those okay? I do not what a 10' one but something similar or a little longer then a cars radio antenna.

Question 3. I have a 92 Dodge Grand Caravan (SE), where is a good spot to mount an antenna?

Thanks,

Joseph McAllister

I think a mobile radio is better than a handheld radio. More usable power and other features as well. They also make a decent base radio - if you have a power supply and make/build your own base antenna. Part of being a Ham is home brewing stuff like antennas; it is part of the Ham tradition.

The radio choice you made is just fine. Yaesu are still considered the better mfr of radios by many Hams today. Any vehicle is usually enough for any 2 meter radio. Mobile antennas in the 2 meter range aren't 10 ft tall, no more than 4 ft tall. A solid antenna mount is preferred to a magnetic mount in a windy situation - but will work just the same under normal conditions. The center of the roof is best for mounting - but not at all necessary. It will work just fine mounted near the edge of the roof - or even mounted to a luggage rack.

BTW - a 9 ft antenna is used by CB radios because that is a 1/4 wavelength for the 11 meter band. For more info, check out www.worldwidedx.com and learn about radio as much as you like. It's free to join; learn more about the radio as a hobby...

I'd agree with Rob, I was just poking around with the FT-1900 yesterday at AES and generally liked it. It's a step in the right direction after the FT-2800. It's also on sale right now for $129 at AES. If you can somehow find an FT-1500M newish on QRZ, go for it. They're cheap, and as far as I'm concerned, its still the best single band mobile ever built.

These days I really gravitate towards radios with removable face plates like the FT-7900 (looks the same as the 1900, but dual band and a removable face) but they are probably mostly priced just a smidge above your range. New, they start around $250, used they can be had for about $150-$175. The removable face makes mounting really convenient and it looks good.

My personal radio right now is the IC-208H. It's a dual bander with a huge receiver (118Mhz-1GHz) and it's got a crazy scan rate, which is nice because I also do Fire/EMS, and it has WX Alert, which the 1900 also has.

Don't be afraid of used gear, especially if you can get it from a hamfest where you can test it, or QRZ with a little caution. I've bought a number of great radios dirt cheap on QRZ over the years and I've never been scammed.

The best place to mount any antenna is smack in the middle of a metal roof. This gives you the best possible ground plane in any direction. There are mounts that attach to the rear hatch, but they aren't ideal. There are a number of good, cheap 2 meter antennas out there. Stay away from the 'thru glass' style as a rule. Don't worry about size of the antenna, instead look at the gain. Something with at least 2.5dBi is a good starting point. Better antennas can get up toward 6dBi. The higher the gain, the better the range.

Unless you're willing to drill holes, make sure a magnetic mount is included. The better antennas quality and performance wise don't come with a base. You'll have to get a separate mount that they'll fit. That makes them a good bit more spendy.

Rob and Dave, I appreciate the information you have given me. This will lead me into the right direction once I get my License, and if you come up with anymore information feel free to continue to reply.

Back