What radar site do you chase with?

Originally posted by Bill Tabor
What particularly do you folks prefer about GR3 versus Weathertap - such as Weathertap Radarlab or Weathertap Studio?

I can't make a comparison of features since I haven't used weathertap, however the fact that GRlevel3 doesn't involve subscription fees is a plus for me.

Since GR3 offers a free trial, and I think WXTap does too, I think the best way to answer that question is try yourself...

GRLevel3 -
GIS Line file mapping (Street level).
Pan and zoom.
GPS aware.
Customizable.
Can look at more than on radar site by running multiple apps.
Does it's own rendering making smaller downloads.
If the computer supports it, you can "smooth" the radar data (I don't, but some people love it).
Easy screen captures in PNG format.
Level III radar information is free (NOAA public Servers aren't always reliable though. This is "fixable" using data feeds from other sources).
Warning Polygons are displayed on screen and are users on/off selectable along with TVS, Shear, and Hail markers
METAR information on screen.
Vertical Wind Profiles available
Can view up to 4 radar products in a single window.

I can't say too much about Weather Tap. I've only seen it a few times. It appears that it loads Gif files from the internet. It's browser based. Zooming is there, but appears only to be zooming on the previously rendered image.

thanks everyone for replying.since i have only used wxtap for the last 6 years,i know this is going to sound strange,but at website do you find the GR3 that everyone is using?

Back