What do you think the policy on names be on Stormtrack? (2011 poll)

What do you think the policy on names be on Stormtrack? (2011 poll)

• Use real names only (this is current policy)

Votes: 158 94.6%
  • Allow limited use of nicknames/handles or impose restrictions on them

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • No restrictions on names/nicknames/handles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Real names keeps folks honest. As far as privacy issues go, it's a weather forum. I mean, come on now.

I can elaborate on that a bit, though I'll maintain my previous stance, in the agreement with you and others, that the forum's integrity overrides most privacy concerns. Since it is a weather forum, there tends to be a certain segment of the membership that works in either the civil service, public sector (e.g., the NWS) or the broadcast media segment of the private sector.

As such, there are at least some members or potential members, assumingly in the minority, who are wary of posting certain information on the forum for fear that it might somehow have professional repercussions. Some of this stems from the fact that some folks that work in places like the media might work under a contract that has a morals or ethics clause. Therefore, for a myriad of reasons, there have been some registered users who have been hesitant to participate on the forums to one degree or another for these aformentioned reasons.

Even though it is a weather forum, there are lots of statements or Internet gestures that, if taken either within or outside of the original context, could supposedly have professional repercussions for some persons. It's a long shot and something that likely won't impact most users, but there is a minority out there that remains concerned about having to use real names for that reason.

From what I understand, a person doesn't have to use their real name, but they do have to use a real name. I could have signed up as Jason Briggs and it would have been fine.

Real names. Among other reasons, I feel connected with people who put their real names out there. I'm aware that sometimes extenuating circumstances might require a person to use a nom de plume, but as I understand it, the present policy already allows for such mitigating situations. No need to change that policy. Why fix what ain't broke.

From what I understand, a person doesn't have to use their real name, but they do have to use a real name. I could have signed up as Jason Briggs and it would have been fine.
I thought there was something in the rules about that...that you can't knowingly falsify who you are. I'd have to go back and read the rules again. If it isn't against the rules...it should be.
As such, there are at least some members or potential members, assumingly in the minority, who are wary of posting certain information on the forum for fear that it might somehow have professional repercussions. Some of this stems from the fact that some folks that work in places like the media might work under a contract that has a morals or ethics clause. Therefore, for a myriad of reasons, there have been some registered users who have been hesitant to participate on the forums to one degree or another for these aformentioned reasons.
The user themselved have the burden of whether they wish to or not to participate. This should NOT be a concern for stormtrack. In fact, even if they use a username that is not their real name, and still disseminate prohibited information by their contract, they are still in violation of said contract and ST may have to deal with intrusive legal orders and such to provide IP address and other information. This is AGAIN a reason for ST to use real names versus other situations. I do see some users for various reason that I and others may not think of, to use fake names, but they would be so infrequent.

Government employees (NWS, SPC, etc.) both on the federal level, state level and local have participated here. Many include disclaimers in their signature lines, and regulate their postings accordingly. Media and private sector wise...most are likely just too busy to post here much anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought there was something in the rules about that...that you can't knowingly falsify who you are. I'd have to go back and read the rules again. If it isn't against the rules...it should be.

It doesn't expressly say that per se. You agreed to the following upon joining the forum: "I affirm that the username I am choosing is NOT a nickname, handle, callsign, or incomplete name. I understand that my account may be deleted without notice for failure to comply with this policy."

The bottom line is that the term "nickname" is subjective and ambiguous to some extent, being that there really is no internal review process to vet the backgrounds of applicants to verify whether or not any of us are indeed using our legal names. Hence, something like P.Diddy! is not acceptable, but a person could reasonably debate whether or not a full name pseudonym is a nickname and, if so, how is anyone going to know? In other words, no one asks "John (Jane) Doe" to submit any documentation to prove that s/he is indeed the person who holds that legal name as listed on something like a birth certificate, SS number or driver's license; it's all on the honor system as far as that goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say stay with real names, the only option I would agree with would be if they are a licensed amateur radio operator, allow the use of their callsign as their name and other information is public information.

Real names. It makes the forum seem more proffesional and as others have mentioned, it keeps people from tearing others apart while trying to conceal their identity.

We need a poll as to whether it should be full real names (First, Last) versus allowing for initials and last (jdoe for example). I'd vote for full name (but not forcing existing members to change).

Our policy is to allow pseudonyms (fictitious names) as long as the person maintains a dignified identity here and abides by the rules. We take privacy concerns very seriously and no user should feel subjected to the whims of troublesome ex-spouses, meddling management/HR/bosses at their company, or public records companies aggregating their data and using whatever is collected years/decades from now.

The prohibition on nicknames is probably too ambiguous and will be replaced with a better word... the idea was to prevent signups under names like "The Boz", "Kibbles And Bits", etc.

Tim

I definitely feel that the real names policy has kept Stormtrack from denigrating into the flame-infested pit that many forums fall victim too. There will never be a perfect solution that will fit all users, however the majority of people here seem to be comfortable with the policy. Tim's comments above regarding pseudonyms should alleviate concerns that some agency types may have.. however I would caution on the use of it since it could easily get out of hand (might as well allow "handles" otherwise). Perhaps if a person can demonstrate privately who they are and be allowed to use the pseudonym it would work fine.

Back