Stormtrack's policy on real names

What do you think the policy on names be on Stormtrack?

• Use real names only (this is current policy)

Votes: 135 92.5%
  • Allow limited use of nicknames/handles or impose restrictions on them

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • No restrictions on names/nicknames/handles

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that is wanting to change their user name to a shorter version, like Daniel>Danny, send me a PM with the request. I can change it for you (within the user name guidelines).

Here's my one-liner to say I support the the same thing everyone else supports. Keep the names.

I voted for keeping real names, but I can understand why someone might want to use a nickname. A nickname gives you the chance to express your personality in a creative way. If you want to use a nickname, you can put it in your signature.

Doug, KC5ZQM

Definitely real names. Having been a member of a lot of forums (and have run some as well) I've noticed that the quality level always stays high when there's no facade to hide behind. Stormtrack's signal/noise ratio stays favorable due to it's policies.

personally, i dont see any intelligent reason why we need to change the name policy...

make the change, and before you know it...youll start seeing all kinds of crazy names...

anomonimity would also degrade the post quality IMO...one thing i really like about this forum is the ability to talk "face-to-face" with other people...and judging by the stunning poll output...i think that the majority of individuals here tend to feel the same way...

another similar VBB forum im a member of (http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/index.php) has the "any-name" policy in place...and although youll find good quality material...sometimes, the names get pretty crazy...

theres no disputing the fact that its a good forum, but i would hate to see ST head down that kind of road...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill admit I was kind of leery of the real names policy at first, but my opinion has changed after seeing the benefits of it. So i vote keep it.

I like the real name policy. I don't feel as on guard as I have been on boards with nicknames/fake names. Like others have said, keeps the uncivil rest down quite a bit. :)

I like the real name policy, too. Although it did cause me a bit of consternation way back when, as the name I am most known by is not my legal name. There are a lot of us in the media industry that are that way. For us, "real name" = "professional name" ... and "legal name" is that guy they make the paychecks out to....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back