Privacy, real names, and other thoughts

I wanted to bring up the issue of privacy on Stormtrack. As you all might know, we have a mandated "real names" policy and much of our board is indexed by Google. Combined, this does present some privacy issues and we have become somewhat of a panopticon for friends, future employers, ex-wives, stalkers, Lexis-Nexis, lawyers, and whoever else might want to check up on us someday. We do allow the use of pseudonyms, but it's on an "don't ask don't tell" basis and this keeps some from developing a good name and a real identity in the storm chasing community.

So we think it's good to invite feedback and discussion about our privacy policies and how we can make Stormtrack a more usable and trustworthy place. Some questions for thought:

1. How do you currently feel about our real names policy? Do you have concerns about it?

2. Do you have concerns about what the general public reads (or might read someday) in your posts?

3. Do you see any need for making some areas of Stormtrack private? Which ones?

4. What are your feelings about Target Area being viewable by the public?

Tim

1. How do you currently feel about our real names policy? Do you have concerns about it?

2. Do you have concerns about what the general public reads (or might read someday) in your posts?

1. I personally like the policy. I don't know how others feel about it, but I think it's nice to always know who a poster is without having to try to remember some strange name they came up with.

2. If I don't want the public to read my posts, I post it in the B&G, simple as that. Last time I checked, that area was not available to the public.

3. As long as the B&G is kept private, I see no reason to close off any other sections. While I wouldn't necessarily mind if another one was made private, I don't see any reason to at this time.

4. When I was just getting started, the FCST threads here were some of my main resources in learning about chasing and forecasting. I think it would be a little selfish to close off an area that has plenty to offer, when there are so many people that could benefit from it.

Then again, maybe it could help clear the roads ;)

Tim

1.) Thus far I agree with the policy. It only causes problems when people want to start flame wars about something that happened out on the road. I feel that it helps the quality here too, as someone is likely to put more thought behind what they are saying when their actual name is being used.

2.) The only thing I can think of to be concerned about is an insurance company being able to see why you really filed a claim on your vehicle and subsequently denying it. Not that I have this problem... my chase vehicle is paid off and liability only so I couldnt claim hail damage if I tried.

3.) I think unless we start to have a real problem with quality control in the FCST threads then it should stay how it is now.

4.) Kinda goes hand in hand with the above.

Keep the Real Name policy

I think the policy of real names is a good one. In fact, I prefer to see first and last name, such as the way I'm listed, and many others. I'm not big on the first initial and last name or other variations. Stormtrack, do to the nature of what is discussed here, full disclosure is vital to keeping the content and the posters of this content accountable. The right to not join and belong rests with the individuals who wish to remain anonymous. There are plenty of other boards and forums that do not have this policy to which they can join and be more than satisfied with the anonymity. I think Stormtrack has been able to control and manage the content on it's forum much more easily because of the real name policy. Without such a policy and practice there is a much easier way for a non-proper name poster to unjustly post about someone else with slander and such, even if it is against policy, it will still happen and will mean a huge increase in management from the administration and moderators.

While I understand the desire for some to allow those to be anonymous because of work or insurance. However, I think it is a slippery slope when we allow such people to join while lying to employers, insurance, etc. about their activities. Stormtrack should not be in the business or protecting others for their life decisions. Stormtrack's liability and reputation are better served by keeping and strictly adhering to a real name only policy in my personal opinion.

I will say that one area that could be considered making private is any and all forecast areas. Those have the highest level or liability for those who post there and to Stormtrack itself. Through other networks and associations, that is one area that "legal" has advised those groups to be very cautious about and forecasting given over the air or posted online. That would be my only suggestion for a change to the public view policy as it currently stands.

Tim

At first, I thought that the real names idea was a bit drastic but the idea grew on me. It keeps thing from becoming childish and the owness of each post is obvious. When the emperor has no clothes, everyone knows it.

For that reason, question number two becomes part of the first question.

Three and four are related as well in my own mind. When did knowledge become proprietary? I can understand people not wanting things to get crowded but seriously, what the real purpose of Stormtrack if it's not to educate others? If you don't want to share where you're headed for the day, don't post it. I think sometimes people post on the target area more for their ego rather than for the benefit of others anyway.

I think it is kind of quaint, in that it ceased to be a good idea a long time ago. :)

It doesn't really matter to me, because I am one of the ones that gets away with using a pseudonym. In my real life, I'm a minor hollywood celebrity but I got sick of people wigging out about it. I pay a guy in Kearney, NE to answer to my pseudonym and pass along any real messages that I need to hear. The downside of all of this is that I don't get to be on the plains in person as much as I want to. There is many a Spring that I wish I could actually trade places with the guy in Kearney. Maybe after I win an Oscar, I'll be able to arrange that. For now, I still have to compete for good roles and that requires me staying pretty close to the big lights. Look for me soon in a hilarious movie near you where I play a pathological liar.

I think the policy of using real names helps keep credibility in this site. All anyone has to do is look at some of the other sites that allow other forms of User IDs. You will see they are not very professional and seems more of a place to just play, than learn, help, or get information.
As someone else said, it is good to know who the people are that are making comments than trying to figure out and keep up who has what little comic name, initials, IDs etc. We can still have fun here with our avatars, but at least we know who it is.
As far as privacy and what someone else may read... If you are really concerned about what someone may read in your post, then don't post it or go to one of the other sites and use the secret initial methods.

Keep real names... I was not crazy about it at first but it does not bother me. Fake names will mean fake posts; lots of junk here. If you are not comfortable posting things then you should not post. Chasing is a world-wide thing now, nothing will stop that, so it's good to see people here from almost every US State and all over the world. Honestly, nothing should be private here. We actually could use MORE people posting forecasts -- the more input the better. I actually think there are too many lurkers as it is. Making things private will diminsh the input the site gets.

I'm very pleased with the present situation. I think it adds a lot of credibility to know that what you put in print is what you believe and are willing to stand by whatever judgment the world places upon you. I really believe that using your name rather than hiding behind some made up handle is one of the things that attracted me to join ST and participate once I got over being nervous.

I also appreciate the excellent job the mods do of shepherding this group and quickly getting rid of posts that are more than the public really need to know about.

When did knowledge become proprietary? I can understand people not wanting things to get crowded but seriously, what the real purpose of Stormtrack if it's not to educate others?
Yeah, I failed to explain that. I've gotten a couple of e-mails with the general idea that Joe "Non-Chaser" Sixpack finds out about Stormtrack's Target Area from Fark, ESPN, or wherever and figures whatever location is posted is a good place to go with a cooler full of beer and a camcorder. I could easily see that multiplying the chase crowds. It's a interesting point that comes up from time to time.

Tim

I like the real names policy. It gives credibility and accountability. You should be able to stand up next to whatever you say.

No. See number 1.

I still like keeping the B&G private along with the forecast threads. Let people actually make effort to read those parts.

Keep it private to members only. Makes sense to not just open that to the world for everybody to just hang out with a camcorder. Again, make people put in some effort to really be a part of the community.

1 - I agree with the masses. Keep the real names going. Theres enough flame wars as it is...the last thing we want to do is give immature minds an alias to hide behind.

2 - No I dont, if I think a post could be damaging to me if someone reads it, I wont post it. Everyone including my employer knows I chase...so nothing they read on here will surprise them...if they can understand it.

3 - I say the FCST area - for the reasons Tim mentioned. If people want to chase they should learn, not just leech of our hard thought forecasts and efforts. Reports and DISC threads can stay public.

4 - see above.

I say we use only real names because that creates credibility but because we use them I also think that the B&G and TA (forecasts) need to be private. A stalker could hit you up in your target area if you find that sort of an issue to be a problem. Seems that has already been an issue in the past even if some were lucky enough that it was just blowhards making the threats it could always get real in the future as it seems many chasers are speakers of their minds and that irritates some people.

For the same reasons others have provided, I think the real names policy should stick. Allowing people to post anonymously or under pseudo-anonymous user names just opens the door for all kinds of trouble (Flame wars, trolling, etc).

Nope, not at all. If I have any doubts as to whether or not a post will negatively impact my personal, financial, and/or work life...I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Keep the B&G "members only" as well as some of the forecast/target areas.

Tough call. On one side of the coin-I think people who are legitimately interested in chasing should be able to come here and learn. On the flip side, I don't feel we need the stalker or yahoo element out there creating potential safety hazards for us (clogging up the roadways, etc) due to inexperience or whatever the case may be.

I think restricting access to the Forecasts & Nowcasts is a great idea while leaving the Post Storm Discussion & Historical Chase sections open to the public.

Just my 2 cents....

Last edited by a moderator:
I won’t be long winded and answer all of the questions because my opinion echoes almost all of the responses so far. If the name policy was thrown out it will be cutting the final Achilles heel of Stormtrack. We have been left hopping around on one leg after the first Achilles heel was cut……with the flood gates being open to any and all who think clouds are pretty. With the flood gates now open and ‘if’ the name policy is removed, in my opinion, the forum will fall flat on its face. Since the changes in ST began I have noticed a major decrease in the number of NWS, SPC, and veterans posting, which I can only assume is due to the increase of sludge/banter/bs. Stormtrack has been around in one form or another since the 1970s and, although I have only been on it since 2001, it pains me to see this potentially life ending move be considered.

Graham Butler

I say keep it like it is please. I had a stalker 20 years ago. If they want to find you they will find you no matter what you do. He is in jail no worries for me.
Melissa

I like the real names. I have been a member of to many sites that let people use whatever name they wanted and some of the names were inapropriate or names of other members by people wanting to start trouble. I think people with alias names will feel like posting more low quality posts than someone who uses his real name. I am for keeping the real names.

1. I am OK with the policy. Keep the full names - they add credibility, and maybe also some self-discipline.

2. Last time I checked Chaser's B&Q was not visible for unregistered members, so if I wanted to post something visible just for ST community, I'd just post it at B&Q.

3. Only B&Q should be private, as it is right now. As long as that is hidden to unregistered folks, I see no need to make any other forums private.

4. While hiding Target Area from general public may help to keep the roads cleaner, I still think that hiding Target Area does more harm than good.

I won’t be long winded and answer all of the questions because my opinion echoes almost all of the responses so far. If the name policy was thrown out it will be cutting the final Achilles heel of Stormtrack. We have been left hopping around on one leg after the first Achilles heel was cut……with the flood gates being open to any and all who think clouds are pretty. With the flood gates now open and ‘if’ the name policy is removed, in my opinion, the forum will fall flat on its face. Since the changes in ST began I have noticed a major decrease in the number of NWS, SPC, and veterans posting, which I can only assume is due to the increase of sludge/banter/bs. Stormtrack has been around in one form or another since the 1970s and, although I have only been on it since 2001, it pains me to see this potentially life ending move be considered.

Graham Butler

I echo what Graham said here. Worded very well and to the point. If real names go, so does ST.

4. While hiding Target Area from general public may help to keep the roads cleaner, I still think that hiding Target Area does more harm than good.

Just curious as to why? I think the target area should be secured personally.

I feel that the only one I can answer independently is number 4. 1-3 I feel I can best answer combined.

Like what some others stated I also would worry about liability, but joe six-pack could also stumble on SPC's website by chance or even just watch CNN (which today had a bit on VORTEX2 and also included the SPC rick factors for the country)

1-3.
Some have said that real names give some credibility and may prevent fake posts and what not. I believe that this may hold better on most forums but in this forum you already need to have an interest in storm chasing before joining, such as answering weather related questions which took me 4 times before I got one I could answer, as I have little experience and was never really exposed to the technical side of weather and technical terms (I was born in '88 and was a kid and don't remember much of what most of you considered the hay day of TWC), then also the short essay on you and your experiences in weather. Right there with those two things are deterrent to most people who really don't hold an interest. Which greatly reduces bad posts as the administration filters people who want to join. I also acknowledge that as I am not a storm chaser I may be a minority on this board and before joining this board didn't know there was such a social aspect of being a chaser (in the fact that every one seems to know every one, I thought it was less social then what it is). So yes then Real Names seem to be better.

But yet with the insurance and what not privacy issues do come to mind -- yet it seems that most of you "guys" have web sites and sell products to the general public and media outlets, and use real names there and your name will most likely be connected to your cashing web site which then makes the privacy issues here moot as they can still get that information. (Though I don't like the idea of employers, insurance, etc searing my name)

The only reason why I joined this forum was because after a number of Google searches since the past year time and again I was directed to this forum, and the people were knowledgeable and in some cases head of the local forecast offices. After I was approved I discovered the treasure chest of information relating to weather and just stuff that peaked my interest in B&C and the archives, I would say keep B&C and Vault privet as then only people who have a serious interest in weather will join with out seeing the more relaxed area.

The only reason why I joined this forum was because after a number of Google searches since the past year time and again I was directed to this forum, and the people were knowledgeable and in some cases head of the local forecast offices. After I was approved I discovered the treasure chest of information relating to weather and just stuff that peaked my interest in B&C and the archives, I would say keep B&C and Vault privet as then only people who have a serious interest in weather will join with out seeing the more relaxed area.

Google can still see the posts in certain areas of the forum and would still recognize that it is a Storm Chaser forum.....you would just have to sign up if you wanted to yourself post. Also, you say that there were head of the local forecast offices answering your questions. If, and I sure as hell hope not, the name rule is gone these guys (and gals) will fade into the distance and not longer be here to answer your questions

Graham Butler

Google can still see the posts in certain areas of the forum and would still recognize that it is a Storm Chaser forum.....you would just have to sign up if you wanted to yourself post. Also, you say that there were head of the local forecast offices answering your questions. If, and I sure as hell hope not, the name rule is gone these guys (and gals) will fade into the distance and not longer be here to answer your questions

Graham Butler

Appears I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say. Sorry. :(

What I was trying to say is that I joined purely because of the subject matter of the forum, and that people who join with out seeing or knowing of a "general chat" area would tend to be more prone to join just to talk about the subject in this weather then just to post in the "general chat area", think of it like this you sign up or join something expecting to know all that you are getting, then some things get added on for no extra cost.

I know google will identity it as a storm chasing web site and that in some places you just need to join to post, I was just giving my support at keeping B&G and the Vault to the permission level they are it (members are only able to see it)

Like I said later down in the post, In the end I do see some practical reasons for the name policy (be it Jdoe, John Doe, or the like) and would support it. I just disagree with some of the view points that if we allowed fake names (beyond the "don't ask don't tell") that an EF-5 will level this place. ;) As you already need to have some weather knowledge to join (took me 4 times to answer a weather related question correctly) and also prove you have an interest. Maybe if this forum didn't require the question and the essay I would be more prone to agree with the other side. But in the end I will agree that the name policy should stay.

I hope that cleared everything up. :)

Just thought I'd pipe in with a new guy's opinion.

1. I'm with the overwhelming concensus that agrees that the real name policy is great as is.

2. Not at this time.

3. See #4.

4. As Connor mentioned, the FCST threads are a great resource for anybody learning the ropes of chasing and forecasting in general. I've read through most of the FCST threads of this year (and a few big events from years past), even the events that I haven't chased, and have gained valuable knowledge from them. However, I would not be opposed to the FCST and NOW threads being restricted to member viewing as I could have just as easily joined a few months ago. I don't think the post storm reports and discussions need to be restricted though (in terms of viewing).

Back