Weather regulations unleash tempest in Senate

i got this on my local Skywarn site, also a letter from Senator Obama of illinois

by Roger Edwards, SPC Mesoscale/Outlook Forecaster

Senate Attempt to Cripple the National Weather Service
A fellow Republican, otherwise typically on the right track, has disappointed me greatly. Sen. Rick Santorum, representing Pennsylvania, no doubt is giving Democrats plenty of ammunition with his ill-conceived, dangerously naive and overly vague bill -- the National Weather Service Duties Act of 2005.

This bill (which I have reproduced here from the public record) is intended to stop the National Weather Service from providing weather information to taxpayers that already has been paid for by the taxpayers, under the guise of preventing public-private competition.

The wording of the bill is so nebulous that typically over-cautious NOAA bureaucrats easily could be scared by private sector attack dogs (such as one I'll mention below) into the most draconian interpretation: You may get no public weather forecasts, no severe weather or tropical outlooks, no fire weather forecasts. You may get nothing but watches and warnings, and perhaps not even those -- if packaged in any "value added" way, such as graphics on the web. Any and all web pages from your National Weather Service could be interpreted as value added and, therefore, killed.

One media article on this bill is available from the Palm Beach Post, at least as of this writing. The Post fails to mention that it is a client of AccuWeather, a company headquartered in Santorum's jurisdiction of State College, PA, and which stands to gain handsomely from any degradation or reduction of National Weather Service functions.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when there are politicians of either party who have been either

1. Hopelessly uninformed and unaware about the subject matter of the bill they propose,

2. In the pockets of their PR-savvy, persistent, special-interest contributors, as I will illustrate for this case shortly, and/or

3. Have good ol' boy connections with their special interests, particularly in the home state, which biases their votes and bill writing in favor of those interests' pork proposals.

In this case, it's all three! Elaborating further on each point above:

1. There is not one meteorologist or earth scientist of any sort in either house of Congress. These folks are depending on staffers, none of whom are themselves earth scientists, to feed them information regarding the state of our nation's weather research and forecasting efforts. That means media reports about atmospheric science issues, which are notoriously ill-informed, oversimplified and inaccurate -- even in the media that covers science!

Government meteorologists, who are in the best position to educate lawmakers about their conditions, aren't allowed to "lobby" members of Congress by law (Hatch Act). True, a very small minority of government meteorologists are forecasters in the NWSEO union, who can write to members of Congress, but only on union letterhead. Even then, only a tiny minority of NWSEO members bother.

This means that, in effect, the only professional weather voice available to Senators and Representatives about forecasting issues is those of the most powerful private sector companies, such as AccuWeather and WeatherData. That voice is united against NWS forecasting, and can afford potent PR and lobbying efforts. No wonder Rick Santorum doesn't know any better! The only loud voice he hears is of one side of the argument from his college town; and in politics, money talks the loudest. This brings me to...

2. My calculations from Federal Election Commission records show that Joel Myers and Barry Myers of Accuweather have given at least $6250 to Rick Santorum's campaigns, of which $700 was refunded, for a net AccuWeather affiliated contribution of $5550. This does not include contributions that may have been made by any other AccuWeather employees, contractors or affiliates.

3. Santorum, along with fellow Penn State alumnus and AccuWeather head Joel Myers, got their degrees from Penn State, in AccuWeather's headquarters of State College PA. AccuWeather also employs hundreds of Santorum's home-state constituents and has fought the National Weather Service for years through lobbying intended to reduce its role, at great potential profit to AccuWeather. This bill, therefore, is a pork-barrel enterprise of the most blatant order.

The Palm Beach Post left out some important insight, quite possibly because of their unacknowledged conflict of interest in reporting on a firm with whom they have a business relationship. That insight instead can be found (for now) on the Raw Story site. Raw Story also reveals contributions that Joel's brother Barry Myers, also of AccuWeather, made to Santorum. [Beware -- Raw Story pumps pop-up ads into your computer!]

Clearly something smells fishy inside the halls of the Capitol, not that it would be the first time. This bill has nothing to do with protecting the public. Instead it aims to do just the opposite -- to put another layer between you and critical weather data that you already have paid for with your tax dollars -- a layer you will have to pay for yet again.

As a union steward in the NWSEO, you can bet I will be getting involved, and so should every other NWSEO member, on behalf of all their fellow forecasters who are legally censored from such political activity by the Hatch Act. So should you, if you do not desire to pay twice for your weather forecasts and data.

Write Senator Santorum, as well as the two senators from your state, to express your thoughts on the National Weather Service Duties Act of 2005. Encourage Sen. Santorum to get off the bandwagon of destruction of our weather forecast system, and off the dole of those who stand to gain financially from your National Weather Service's downfall.

Thanks to a bunch of folks, but especially bc, for alerting me to various stories about this bill.

Dear Kevin:

Thank you for contacting me with your opinion on the National Weather Service Act of 2005 (S.786). The weather affects our everyday lives regardless of severity, and the National Weather Service (NWS) does an excellent job notifying the public about what they can expect on a day-to-day basis from Mother Nature.

As you may know, the NWS was created 135 years ago to forecast the weather and provide warnings to protect life and property. It has evolved into a national meteorological database that can be accessed by other government agencies, the private sector, the public and the global community.

I agree that the National Weather Service Act of 2005 would unduly limit information provided by the NWS. This Act seeks to focus the NWS solely on alerting the public to severe weather conditions. This would remove the NWS as a source for general weather broadcasts, essentially allowing only private companies to compete over this service.

The Act is currently being considered in the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. I do not serve on this panel, but I will discuss your concerns with my colleagues who do.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me in the future on this or any issue of concern.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

Barack Obama
United States Senator

I became a big fan of Barack Obama after learning about him when he made his eloquent and impassioned keynote speech at the Democratic National Convention last year. He has a book out now, called "Dreams from my Father: a Story of Race and Inheritance." I picked it up a couple of weeks ago when I saw it on the shelf. I've only thumbed through it so far, as I have four books "ahead" of it in line, but it seems like a very interesting story.

I now end this threadjack. We now return you to your normal public-private argument. ;)

From the people who testified to Congress in April they didn't have enough money for tornado warnings:

www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2447.htm

Now before you say, "wonderful!" THINK ABOUT IT.

There are a number of small software companies that are contributors to this forum. The two NWS software products released this year are going to adversely affect their businesses, especially if more are coming (as I suspect there are).

Do we really want government software on our computers?

Do we want the NWS collecting data, warning of tornadoes, etc., or do we want them developing software?

Do we want "nested offices" so they can have prettier NDFD lines?

The USA got along fine from 1948 to 2004 with the separation of private sector/public sector that existed during that period. Have we really thought through what the new "no boundaries" NWS means?

I agree with critics (and have said so publically, many times) of Santorum's bill that say the wording should be more clear. The wording can be clarified.

I urge you to write your Congressional delegation and support at least the intent of Santorum's bill.

Originally posted by Mike Smith
From the people who testified to Congress in April they didn't have enough money for tornado warnings:

www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2447.htm

Now before you say, \"wonderful!\" THINK ABOUT IT.

There are a number of small software companies that are contributors to this forum. The two NWS software products released this year are going to adversely affect their businesses, especially if more are coming (as I suspect there are).

Do we really want government software on our computers?

Do we want the NWS collecting data, warning of tornadoes, etc., or do we want them developing software?

Do we want \"nested offices\" so they can have prettier NDFD lines?

The USA got along fine from 1948 to 2004 with the separation of private sector/public sector that existed during that period. Have we really thought through what the new \"no boundaries\" NWS means?

I agree with critics (and have said so publically, many times) of Santorum's bill that say the wording should be more clear. The wording can be clarified.

I urge you to write your Congressional delegation and support at least the intent of Santorum's bill.

From what I can tell that isn't software...in fact it's no different than some WFO's "enhanced" page during severe weather events. All it is, is an all-in-one graphics webpage...actually seems to complete the mission of NOAA and NWS by providing very clear information about ongoing weather situations. They probably did it to help ease the pain that the homepages got during last year's hurricane season. I am actually impressed it took this long to do something like this...considering the SPC has had self updating pages for awhile.

Further, I would be careful of being critical of an agencies budget. Congress has to approve it (which means it approves the activities...to an extent...of an agency). Just for my information, what is the other software package coming out?

As another note, yeah the NDFD seems to be a distraction...all you have to do is view some of the forecast discussions for that (and the matching grids crap makes me mad because they should allow the forecasters to forecast). However, I think a major threat that the private sector sees is not the NWS using the NDFD, but all the little individuals who can play with the XML feeds from it and create their own little widgets and toys (from what I've seen in other boards and stories about the NDFD web programmers seemed happy...in fact I think there is a project to use the feeds for a FireFox tool). The world is getting more computer saavy; and programming and do-it-self tools are no longer black boxes--further, these toys and widgets can get out there (along with the source) for FREE. Just my humble opinion.

There are very similar issues and arguments in one of my projects, that of presenting and archiving transportation data for public use. TTI there's no clear distinction between real-time data and archived data. For example, a radar loop uses the current image and pulls the historical images from an archive. There's also a lot of naivite (or self-interest) when it comes to defining "value-added". The days are long-gone since the NWS just compiled TTY field obs and distributed hand-analysed maps via fax. The management and processing of data NOAA now does routinely and both the public and so-called "value-added" users expect is quite astounding. I hold it up as a shining example of what we in transportation could be doing with our own data.

Wolfson's First Law of Consultants and Private Vendors is that they never keep any history of their own and expect public institutions to do that. TTI in order to develop and improve all those public services we've come to expect that history is essential.

Baron, for example, has a proprietary algorithm to identify and post alleged TVS/mesos. I doubt they'd tell me exactly how it works so I could reproduce it, or would be able to provide any sort of an archived history for research purposes. Yet Baron expects as a matter of right access at cost to all the expertise and processing it takes to get the data to their portal and to benefit from the science which develops the algorithms and was almost completely funded by the public.

I could rant on and on. The bottom line IMHO is, keep Objectivist ideology out of our essential public services like national defense, transportation, and, for heaven's sake, NOAA. Let them do the fine job we all pay for of delivering those services to the public.

Originally posted by Mike Smith
The USA got along fine from 1948 to 2004 with the separation of private sector/public sector that existed during that period. Have we really thought through what the new \"no boundaries\" NWS means?

Yes, that's precisely the point! We've got along fine all these years. It's not currently broke, and there's absolutely no need to fix it, least of all with a law that restricts what the NWS can offer to the public. I'm sorry, I just don't see any good argument for new restrictions. I understand that some small companies are going to have to innovate or perish, but that's the way the game works. In an area as crucial as forecasting the weather, you can't seriously expect the government to deliberately hold up products that are extremely useful, especially not when your only argument for doing so is that it might hurt a few small businesses. Just think of all the businesses that will be benefiting from this! They will no longer have to pay the "accuweather tax". They can now use that money for other more useful purposes. It's like a tax break really - Republicans and conservatives should love it. Unless, of course, they're receiving big donations from the companies that currently levy those "taxes".

I'm sorry, this has been talked to death already and I've stayed out of it, but it's pretty clear that: a) the current bill is hopelessly vague and potentially dangerous, and B) any bill that specifically muzzles a taxpayer funded government organization solely to benefit a few small businesses is nothing but corporate welfare at its worst. Especially when the business community as a whole stands to gain if no bill is passed (see above). For the most part you people have been ignoring the fact that Accuweather et. al. make their money at the expense of other businesses.

The bottom line is that if the information can be provided for free by the NWS, it should be. Everybody benefits, except a few dinosaurs who need to learn a bit more about evolution.

Back