very close lightning strike

Holy cow....now that was insanely close. Thanks for pointing that out, I've added that to my youtube favorites.

Here is a screenshot of the peak intensity of the bolt, which struck the house next door.

closestrike1.jpg

Just goes to show one of the biggest dangers in videotaping severe weather is the randomness of lightning. Definately a good video to keep us alert and prepared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, holy cow that is an insanely sweet video and close call!

I've caught a close bolt about a month ago while chasing a supercell here over northeastern Italy, this is a video grab picture:

14_08_2006mk63.jpg

It hit just few metres in front of me into a steel fence near the road. I was driving through a hailstorm so it was hard to hear anything besides hail smashing on my car, but at least I saw sparks going out after the hit like it looks when firecrackers explode!

Now that's totally awsome!!! That guy must of done a big poo poo in his shorts :D Jokes aside... From what I see from the video that guy seems elevated (top of the roof).. looking for trouble if you want my opinion!

Wow :eek: That was insane! I just found another one on youtube where some guy was fixing his motorcycle, when a bolt struck right next to him. Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkaS7mf2hrI. He got very lucky on that one! (warning: contains some profanity).

haha wow that is nuts, i make it a late night activity to surf youtube if i cant sleep and find some pretty sweet things!

Wow :eek: That was insane! I just found another one on youtube where some guy was fixing his motorcycle, when a bolt struck right next to him. Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkaS7mf2hrI. He got very lucky on that one! (warning: contains some profanity).

Wow! If you freeze the frame when the bolt strikes, you can see an arc from the wrench in his hand to the bike. At first I thought it was the bolt flash coming through the bike, but there is a metal plate behind the arc. Wild!

Wow! If you freeze the frame when the bolt strikes, you can see an arc from the wrench in his hand to the bike. At first I thought it was the bolt flash coming through the bike, but there is a metal plate behind the arc. Wild!

Holy crap! I just noticed that when I went back and watched the video. Apparently the strike was a lot closer than I previously thought. Here's the screen capture of that arc:

Scary!

Look at the bluish arc at the bottom of his hand, which is actually coming from the bottom of a wrench he is holding and is arcing back to the bike. No wonder he felt it pass through.

Back