Verizon vs Sprint, mobile broadband USB card, when near Denver?

OK, as newbies, we need your advice! My husband Dave and I, were at the Red Lion Hotel this weekend, enjoying Roger Hill's & Tim Samaras' convention, meeting folks, and taking notes (with lots of "?" marks in my notes).

I recently bought a used laptop, and so far, it's working! I'm using WiFi at this time, (helped when needed, with a "Wave Magnum" I just bought from RadioLab.com )to get onto the internet, to look at Nat'l Weather Service base reflectivity and composite radar maps (still a newbie at learning about radar, too).

Now, preparing for storm season here in Colorado, I need to buy us a mobile broadband USB card, and I'm torn between Verizon & Sprint. We will mainly be starting from Denver (we've lived up in the Fraser area of CO for around 30 years), and going E. on I-70 (if not a traffic jam), or NE on I-76, into Weld County, &/or some other roads.

Can any of you folks who chase/spot in the Denver area please tell me which company or companies (Verizon or Sprint) you like, have used, and recommend, with external antenna capability?

Do you all use Maximum Signal's power booster with an external mag mount antenna, or do any of you prefer any other company for antennas, such as Wilson?

I was tempted to buy Verizon's newer AD 3700 mobile broadband USB card/modem, but recent Verizon user reviews said it broke OFTEN, at the place where the USB thingy connects to the 'card', effectively ruining the card! So that's out.

I was looking at reviews (on Verizon's own website) of their UMW190 (seemed good, but want your opinions!), and their USB760 (varied reviews).

Both support external antennas.

With Verizon, I could use the card on a month to month basis, without being trapped in a 1 or 2 year $60/mo. contract charge, and also could avoid a cancellation fee that way. They do have that 5 gigabyte/month limit on data usage, but I think it is still doable for us.

Thanks in advance, for any advice! We use Verizon cell phones up here in the mountains, so that's why I was interested in them (I know zip about Sprint).

Carol
970-531-5000 (cell)
[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think both Verizon and Sprint have good coverage across eastern Colorado. However I think Verizon wins out in terms of high speed access where Sprint remains limited to the major highways/interstates. Someone with more experience with that may be able to better confirm that.

I have Sprint, am a huge fan of Sprint's overall coverage across the plains, and if I were to choose one, I would stay with Sprint. However, I think Verizon will give you pretty good coverage, too. Especially here in Colorado.

Verizon has "excellent" high speed coverage for Eastern Colorado as I have chased that area at least a handful of times. Even in the middle of nowhere my signal was very solid with an external antenna without an amp. You may want to get a used usb modem on ebay for around $35 or so. If you do that, you will not be suckered into a 1 or 2 year contract and could sign up with a month to month plan. It will cost you $35 for activation. I just bought a novatel usb 727 modem for chasing and so far I am very pleased with it during a couple of mini test runs.

Verizon/Alltel rules the Central Plains

Hi Carol,

You might to check the coverage maps here:

http://www.cellularmaps.com/3g_compare.shtml

I can't speak to E. Colorado, but I can speak of the coverage in South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas. I had a Sprint phone my first year of chasing in 2004. I used this phone as a modem to my laptop the next year. In the metro areas and along I-80 and I-29, it's fine. Travel away from these areas and you might as well throw your phone into the cornfields.

My wife has had Alltel (Verizon now) for years and had great coverage. I finally converted a few years ago and also purchased a PCMCIA card from them. I bought a kit from Maximum Signal. From the Black Hills (even a signal in the Badlands) to McCook to Liberal and from Sioux Falls to Omaha to Wichita my coverage is exceptional. As you can see from the Verizon coverage map, there is a small sliver in northern Kansas where the signal is spotty. But, with my amp, the dropout was literally less than a minute along highways US83 and US283.

And, it worked quite well for the Quinter tornadoes along I-70. :)

Geo

I had a Sprint phone my first year of chasing in 2004. I used this phone as a modem to my laptop the next year. In the metro areas and along I-80 and I-29, it's fine. Travel away from these areas and you might as well throw your phone into the cornfields.

Cellular coverage has changed a TON since 2004. That would be like comparing internet access in 1993 (almost completely dial up everywhere) to internet access today.

Sprint is wonderful now in almost all places on the plains. I've used sprint the last 2 years and the only dead spot I ever hit was S. NE just east of Red Cloud. And who knows, that may have been because I didn't update my PRL. I had a signal but it wouldn't connect.

You're probably safe going either way, but overall in the plains, Verizon takes the cake for having the best 3G coverage.

Thanks for advice from you all!

Tony, Thank you for your reply! Now, I'm looking to find which broadband "card" or USB modem by Verizon, works the best, and is made to last! I also looked at your website, and liked your blog about the convention this weekend, and also greatly appreciated your blog about that July 20, 2009hail and TORNADO event, in Arvada!

Mark, Thank you for your advice, too! Where did you buy your "novatel usb 727 modem" from? Was it from a cell phone company, or did you buy it used, or from what company?? What brand & model external antenna do you use, with that 727 modem? I agree with wanting to avoid a year or 2 yr. contract with Verizon (can't afford $60/mo. year round). I'll try to go month to month.

George, Thanks much for your advice, too! What model is your Alltel PCMCIA card? This fits into a slot, rather than using a USB port, right? Do you think this "card" works better than a USB port type of modem? I'll check into Maximum Signal's external mag mount antenna & power booster kits--many have said they like it a lot.

Scott, Thanks for your reply, too! So many seem to like Sprint, and also say why Verizon is great--so I'll have to choose--but since I'm used to Verizon (it's the best service up my way, for cell phones, I think), I'll probably go with Verizon for a broadband card (USB modem). I've also heard that Sprint is starting 4G...not sure what this means.
------------------

Any thoughts by anyone, about Verizon's UMW 190 USB Broadband modem, versus Verizon's USB 760 modem, versus any other "cards" vs. USB modems, that anyone here prefers?

Thanks again!
Carol
970-531-5000
[email protected]
(other interest:
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com)

Carol,

I bought my novatel usb727 modem used off ebay for $30. I also bought a new external antenna adapter on ebay. For my cell phone antenna I am using a Wilson 301103 mag mount antenna. I also have an usb cord extender for connecting my modem to my laptop.

The following links are the setup for data that I have.

Novatel usb727 modem: http://cgi.ebay.com/Verizon-USB727-...dZViewItemQQptZPCC_Modems?hash=item414cebb305

Wilson 301103 cell phone antenna: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilson-Dual-Ban...wItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item53dbb46590

Novatel usb727 antenna adapter: http://cgi.ebay.com/External-Antenn...wItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item562c5517ea

Usb cord extender: http://cgi.ebay.com/5FT-Extension-U...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9e265941

I hope this helps ya out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had Sprint since the start of the '06 season and haven't looked back. Sprint and Verizon roam on pretty much the same towers, so they have almost identical footprints in rural areas. It'll be a few years before the Sprint roaming agreement on Alltel towers runs out, so shouldn't be a worry there. The next thing will be to see what the carriers do for their 4G roll-out. That will also help 3G throughput as they will need to upgrade their backhaul.

I really don't think you need to worry about the differences in Verizon and Sprint though. If you already have your phones with one or the other, or can do cheaper with your circumstances on one or the other, just do it.

I personally have Sprint with the EX720 ExpressCard modem, and have used an external antenna. This year I will be adding in an amp. Has worked great.

looked on Craig's list, found Verizon USB727, & bought it today!

Dear Mark,

I went onto Craig's List earlier today (Tues.), and liking your advice, I decided I was ready to buy a used modem--found one person on the 'front range' selling a used Verizon "novatel usb727 modem", for $45, verified that it was still available, drove down to Longmont, and bought it! :) It was used for several months, came with original box, instructions, installation CD, and definitely has the external antenna port in it! I hope it works! I guess I'll find out soon enough--I'll try it for a one day ($15) pass from Verizon, soon, and then I'll know for sure.

I'll also start investigating your other items you like! I'm sure all the other ones (Sprint, for example) are also great, but this one felt right for me to try out.

Before I took the plunge, I had spoken with a guy (by phone) who does neat videos on the internet, including about this novatel usb727 modem, and he actually said that he prefers those usb broadband modems that have their installation software on an external CD, rather than internally inside the modem, as he has occasionally seen some problems (like with an equivalent Sprint version of the usb727 that has the installation software inside the modem).

Dear John, Thank you for your reply! Sorry I didn't see it until I came home, after buying the other modem! So many choices! If I ever should need to research your EX720 ExpressCard modem, for the future, I'll do it!

Maybe this thread will give some food for thought, for other chasers/spotters, who haven't figured out what they want to get, yet.

I really appreciate all the advice that you all have shared here! :)

Carol
970-531-5000
[email protected]

Best way to sign up for either service is through www.millenicom.com . They are a reseller. Through them you can get Verizon with a 10gb cap instead of a 5gb cap . And Sprint service is unlimited if you sign up through Sprint there is a 5gb cap. Also there is no contract with either service which means no early termination fee if you drop the service.

I did a little comparison of the two companies in a blog entry this afternoon..

http://www.tornadoeskick.com/2010/02/2699

Basically, Verizon has a stranglehold on the broadband coverage with the exception of a vital part of northwest Oklahoma where they have no service. Check out the graphics I threw up and see for yourself.
Can anyone with Verizon verify that the coverage in northwest Oklahoma is as bad as the map shows? That is a nasty gap in coverage. I'd like to go with Verizon this Spring, but you're right, Tony, Sprint might be safer.

Can anyone with Verizon verify that the coverage in northwest Oklahoma is as bad as the map shows? That is a nasty gap in coverage. I'd like to go with Verizon this Spring, but you're right, Tony, Sprint might be safer.

I have found that where the Verizon map shows no service, you typically can still get EVDO. There is a slot of no coverage in SW KS that I have been through many times and I do lose 3G coverage but remain with EVDO. I've never dropped all signal completely. As far as NW OK goes, it's been a minute since I've been down there but I remember still having good signal in the panhandle near and around Guymon last year. Hope that helps sort of :confused:

All I know is either one will beat the tar out of AT&T, which is what I chased with last year via Radarscope. With AT&T, you can kiss 3G goodbye the moment you leave a major city...and AT&T has little to no service throughout most of southern NE and SE KS.

This year, I'm going with a Verizon data card coupled with a Maximum Signal Rockies amplifier. I like Verizon's ease of month-to-month service. I'll still have Radarscope with AT&T, so if I do end up in a Verizon dead spot, then perhaps having this dual-redundancy will help me out.

Bryan

The month to month is true with Verizon. I had Sprint last season and ended it and tried to reactivate and they said I needed a two year deal. So i'm switching to verizon.

Back