Vehicle Laptop Desk Suggestion

Be careful with the side panel mount there Skip. When I first tried my setup out on the neighborhood streets out here, I did not have the 10lb weight attached to the bottom of the setup. The desk kept swinging over to my way when I made turns to the right, granted my desk does not weigh more than 6 pounds, but since yours is a little heavier and is mounted in the same place as mine, I would be careful on those right turns, and you may want to try it out on some neighborhood streets and see if you want it there or not. I know that drilling in the floor is not an easy option for some of us (absolutely did not work for me in my car), but try your setup first on the right hand curves. When you mount on the floor, you get the central point of gravity to be on the floor, and thus will not sway or become "The Leaning Tower of Pisa" like mine was before I attached the weight. But, good luck with the mount!

RAM mounts

I'm surprised I haven't heard more about the mounting systems from RAM. I recently ordered the RAM POD3 system for my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee; with this setup you can custom install a mount and use the seat bolts instead of drilling through the floor (a huge plus in my book). I'm going to be using the double ball support arm and adjustable laptop tray. This setup should be a lot better than the homemade contraption I have been using. Safety in the car concerns me too; some of the materials being used in a few of the mounts I see in use might be deadly in a crash...

Is anybody else using this setup? I'll post pics when the installation is complete.

Re: RAM mounts

Is anybody else using this setup? I'll post pics when the installation is complete.

It's on my wish list...no really.

With the mount, laptop tray and swing arm for $170 it's simply a matter of priorities at this point :)

some of the materials being used in a few of the mounts I see in use might be deadly in a crash...

My laptop might as well be mounted on a battle ax. That mount is heavy and the edges, especially the try are pretty sharp. I bought some foam tubing (the stuff you wrap around your plumbing) from home depot. Wrapped around the arms, shaft, and edges of the tray it should keep people from scratching themselves on it or being decapitated if we crash. :shock:

My laptop might as well be mounted on a battle ax. That mount is heavy and the edges, especially the try are pretty sharp.

Hi Skip,

I didn't want to pick on anybody, but now that you mention it that laptop tray did give me the willies! My old one used a plasic "lasy susan" type tray which wasn't too bad.. but the heavy pipe used for the mount might have skewered anybody unlucky enough to be in the right seat in a crash (or me in a side-impact!).

Cheers!

Hey John, where can a fella find something about those seat mounted RAM mounts on here?? I've been looking at JottoDesk's setup for my 99 Silverado using the seat bolts...but at 299 bucks, im just a bit edgy! :shock: Im kindly a stickler for a "clean" truck, so I like everything flush, neat, etc.

Originally posted by Nick Parker
Hey John, where can a fella find something about those seat mounted RAM mounts on here??

Hi Nick;

You're in luck, RAM makes a no-drill seat base for your truck. Check out this link; http://www.ram-mount.com/products/nodrillbases.htm; you can find the seat base on this list. From there you can pick a number of laptop mounting options that will work with that base. A warning; the RAM site is a bit awkward to find things in so have a good look around to find what you need. I've found the RAM people to be very helpful if you ask them specific questions by e-mail or phone too. Not sure about a retailer for your area, but I'm sure a query to RAM will help you out with that. Should make for a nice clean installation, with no drilling!

Cheers,

My computer notebook holder is my wife :D When we're not using it for storm chasing purposes (like heading home at night), she can atleast play solitaire.

Back